Hydroid ID

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of hydroids are these? and are they bad.... I've scrubbed the shell since this pic but I'm curious what they are. The snail came from the LFS like that and I do know there's others in the tank. There's more in the tank came from a frag plug and look similar but I'd say there are little orbs at the end of tentacles instead of bushy like those ones. Also are they safe to toothbrush off rocks as I see them or will that make them spread more? Thanks!

1667009256832.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What type of hydroids are these? and are they bad.... I've scrubbed the shell since this pic but I'm curious what they are. The snail came from the LFS like that and I do know there's others in the tank. There's more in the tank came from a frag plug and look similar but I'd say there are little orbs at the end of tentacles instead of bushy like those ones. Also are they safe to toothbrush off rocks as I see them or will that make them spread more? Thanks!

1667009256832.jpeg
Colonial hydroids
My advice- place snail in a small bowl of tank water and scrub them off with a firm toothbrush and return snail to tank

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonial hydroids
My advice- place snail in a small bowl of tank water and scrub them off with a firm toothbrush and return snail to tank
yup thats what i did, does brushing them in the tank cause more to spread similar to aiptasia?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops, I scrubbed some on the rocks, looked like a different species than the ones on the snail though :grimacing-face:... I've been reading dolabella auricularia wedge sea hares eat them? If they get out of control could that be an option?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
oops, I scrubbed some on the rocks, looked like a different species than the ones on the snail though :grimacing-face:
Could be hydrazoa but pics would confirm

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be hydrazoa but pics would confirm
they're definitely too small to get pics of unfortunately... there's definitely not an issue in the tank yet, unless me brushing just caused them to explode in the next 2 weeks. I've been reading dolabella auricularia (wedge sea hares) eat hydroids and there's even a video out there showing it... have you heard anything about using these to deal with hydroids? I'd be down to try if they ever explode in this tank. Its a euphyllia dominated tank with some ricordea floridas/zoas so I'm only really worried about the zoas if they get out of hand.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
they're definitely too small to get pics of unfortunately... there's definitely not an issue in the tank yet, unless me brushing just caused them to explode in the next 2 weeks. I've been reading dolabella auricularia (wedge sea hares) eat hydroids and there's even a video out there showing it... have you heard anything about using these to deal with hydroids? I'd be down to try if they ever explode in this tank. Its a euphyllia dominated tank with some ricordea floridas/zoas so I'm only really worried about the zoas if they get out of hand.
Briush off with firm toothbrush off surfacers and net and discard

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are they bad? I think I have the same
9987D84C-47CF-4922-B183-C9363B2029F7.jpeg
I've been reading they can sting/irritate certain soft corals if they start getting out of control but its hard to find a ton of info out there about them, but I assume they aren't terrible, just not necessarily good either

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will agitate and close zoa.

I think they can agitate acro too. Not sure tho, definitely can agitate zoa to the point they start closing up then slowly decline.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple search on this site will provide you lots of information. For example,

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple search on this site will provide you lots of information. For example,
Everything just looks different to another type I see in my tank but they're WAY too small for me to get a pic... usually just single ones or in pairs/trios but never those big meaty ones I see in all the articles about hydroids

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will agitate and close zoa.

I think they can agitate acro too. Not sure tho, definitely can agitate zoa to the point they start closing up then slowly decline.
For sure, I think thats what happened to the only zoa frag that hasn't been doing good. It had 3 hydroids between the heads, but they're different species than the pic I posted... didn't know about them when I saw them initially but they've slowly declined, but not dead. Maybe they'll bounce back since those 3 hydroids are scrubbed off

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything just looks different to another type I see in my tank but they're WAY too small for me to get a pic... usually just single ones or in pairs/trios but never those big meaty ones I see in all the articles about hydroids
Like these?

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are small hydroid species on the snail.

Best I’ve seen is after long research is that pygmie dwarf angels might eat them. Otherwise get rid of that snail and you’ll have to keep an eye out for them.

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like these?
Yes they look just like that, similar size and everything... they've been in patches of 1-3 in maybe 3 different spots, 1 of the groups being between zoas mentioned above. Anything to stress about?

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are small hydroid species on the snail.

Best I’ve seen is after long research is that pygmie dwarf angels might eat them. Otherwise get rid of that snail and you’ll have to keep an eye out for them.
yeah the snail was pulled and toothbrushed then put back in... I haven't seen any of those species pop up, just the other types erin mentioned. I've read some stuff about wedge sea hares eating hydroids possibly too? It was one thing I was thinking of trying IF they ever exploded and became an issue

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they look just like that, similar size and everything... they've been in patches of 1-3 in maybe 3 different spots, 1 of the groups being between zoas mentioned above. Anything to stress about?
Go ahead and do some research based on what was identified in the link.
But yes, as others have already stated, you likely want to remove them outside the tank before they spread.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I did was Google colonial hydroids... Lots of info out there

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back