Hydroid jellies? Creature ID help appreciated

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this in a newly established tank and they’re stuck on the glass. When I scrape some of them off they’ll dart around as shown in the video. They don’t look like the type of hydroids that are dreaded by many reefers nor do they have the same colorarion as the hydroid jellies I’ve seen posted.
Has anyone found similar creatures in their tank? Thanks in advance! 84D02568-20DA-4B08-AE6B-BB0F8387133A.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    7.8 MB

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids will be stick to the glass and be filter feeders that looks like a real jelly fish I could be wrong just never seen any hydroid be able to swim

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way cool! You have baby jellyfish! I've had them show up a few times over the years but never caused any problems that I've seen.
Wow that is really cool! Thanks for the help. They seem to disappear from time to time so i’m assuming they’re something that comes up from a new tank

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids will be stick to the glass and be filter feeders that looks like a real jelly fish I could be wrong just never seen any hydroid be able to swim
Hydroids have a polyp (stationary) stage and a medusa (swimming) stage.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just found this in a newly established tank and they’re stuck on the glass. When I scrape some of them off they’ll dart around as shown in the video. They don’t look like the type of hydroids that are dreaded by many reefers nor do they have the same colorarion as the hydroid jellies I’ve seen posted.
Has anyone found similar creatures in their tank? Thanks in advance! 84D02568-20DA-4B08-AE6B-BB0F8387133A.jpeg
Best to see these guys in the water and if swimming but they are Not baby jellyfish but hydroid/hydrozoan jellyfish which are short-lived and deemed harmless but can multiply.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is really cool! Thanks for the help. They seem to disappear from time to time so i’m assuming they’re something that comes up from a new tank

They have a two stage life cycle. Polyps reproduce asexually and bud off free swimming medusas which reproduce sexually, the larva settling and forming polyps. Tiny polyps can produce medusas that can get quite large. If you have any live rock from the Caribbean it's possible you have the polyp stage of upside down jellyfish. It is possible to raise them but you'll need to hatch out brine shrimp to feed them. Check out this youtube channel for videos fromone of my clients.

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best to see these guys in the water and if swimming but they are Not baby jellyfish but hydroid/hydrozoan jellyfish which are short-lived and deemed harmless but can multiply.
How can I assure there destruction. I have many polyps forming on the sand bed in my seahorse tank getting fed live bbs !!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How can I assure there destruction. I have many polyps forming on the sand bed in my seahorse tank getting fed live bbs !!
brine shrimp is one of their favorite foods. Fenbendazole has been known to knock them down But you have to use it with care as it Can be overdosed. I believe its 80mg per gallon of water

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine disappeared within 2 weeks after posting this so it might be easier to wait it out. You could also do manual removal too if you don’t want to wait

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Theyre not destructive and short lived

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Theyre not destructive and short lived
I have a dwarf seahorse tank and heard there stings can be very fatal to these creatures.

As you can see in the picture within the cave there is many many polpys. I just noticed them hiding today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 54

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine disappeared within 2 weeks after posting this so it might be easier to wait it out. You could also do manual removal too if you don’t want to wait
I’ve noticed they were present weeks ago and disappeared and just recently having even more population arise. I am feeding bbs constantly but I have to with the dwarf seahorse babies I have. (3 weeks old)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a dwarf seahorse tank and heard there stings can be very fatal to these creatures.

As you can see in the picture within the cave there is many many polpys. I just noticed them hiding today.
Have you tried siphoning ?
You can also try sucking them up with a 1/4" tubing which has good suctioning force

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you tried siphoning ?
You can also try sucking them up with a 1/4" tubing which has good suctioning force
I will purchase a smaller siphon my main one is to big and will scare the seahorses and hardly squeeze in. Thanks I will try this.

any creatures eat these polyps and hydroids??

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will purchase a smaller siphon my main one is to big and will scare the seahorses and hardly squeeze in. Thanks I will try this.

any creatures eat these polyps and hydroids??
Polyps- some Rabbitfish and filefish. Hydroids- physical removal

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband butterfly will also eat them. Mine at hundred of upside down jellyfish polyps.

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Polyps- some Rabbitfish and filefish. Hydroids- physical removal
Tank is very small for rabbit fish and it’s a seahorse only tank with one mandarin goby. The polyps are continuing to multiply and I have seahorse fry so I have to continue to feed heavy BBS daily. Here is a picture of my sand as you can see many polyps!! Please help I am stuck

Attachments

• 0E776139-2A46-433A-8E46-21AD91D4608D.jpeg
    0E776139-2A46-433A-8E46-21AD91D4608D.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 56

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank is very small for rabbit fish and it’s a seahorse only tank with one mandarin goby. The polyps are continuing to multiply and I have seahorse fry so I have to continue to feed heavy BBS daily. Here is a picture of my sand as you can see many polyps!! Please help I am stuck
Hydrozoan and can be a nuisance. Best eradication is to siphon with a 1/4 " tubing into a nylon stocking or simiar and discard

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back