Hydroid jellies? Creature ID help appreciated

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hydrozoan and can be a nuisance. Best eradication is to siphon with a 1/4 " tubing into a nylon stocking or simiar and discard
As you can see them across the sand! I will use a siphon but have baby seahorses and don’t want to disturb! I heard I can dose my seahorse tank is this true?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 31

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As you can see them across the sand! I will use a siphon but have baby seahorses and don’t want to disturb! I heard I can dose my seahorse tank is this true?
I would not dose tank. Siphoning with small tube as mentioned safest. Additionally if a seahorse reaches tube, you can recover it and return to tank

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not dose tank. Siphoning with small tube as mentioned safest. Additionally if a seahorse reaches tube, you can recover it and return to tank
I try to siphon some daily but I do not want to disturb the seahorses to much. Unfortunately I lost one seahorse last night and he is resting in the sand. Do any of you think he could have been stung and died? This is the first death of seahorse, he does look fairly large and is wild caught.

Attachments

• 3E06C17D-6FE4-434F-AD89-CCF031CA5038.jpeg
    3E06C17D-6FE4-434F-AD89-CCF031CA5038.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 25
  • AD99F267-A263-4616-8CF0-2517508354EE.jpeg
    AD99F267-A263-4616-8CF0-2517508354EE.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 25

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I try to siphon some daily but I do not want to disturb the seahorses to much. Unfortunately I lost one seahorse last night and he is resting in the sand. Do any of you think he could have been stung and died? This is the first death of seahorse, he does look fairly large and is wild caught.
They can be stung but not sure the cause. Often its:
Bacterial
Elevated nitrates
Low salinity
high temperature

If stung, you would see blemish on their body

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can be stung but not sure the cause. Often its:
Bacterial
Elevated nitrates
Low salinity
high temperature

If stung, you would see blemish on their body
Sorry to ask, but what is prime temperature to aim for. I constantly have my tank at 76.4 with as high at 77.3 for a dwarf seahorse tank.
1.019 salinity

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to ask, but what is prime temperature to aim for. I constantly have my tank at 76.4 with as high at 77.3 for a dwarf seahorse tank.
1.019 salinity
74.5-77 deg at 1.023 salinity

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The hydrozoan on the rocks are very hard to siphon would you
Recommend using a toothbrush to scrub off the rock and then siphoning.
Wow- that is a lot- I would take the rock out and place in container of tank water and scrub off

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you isolate the seahorses for the time being, let the hydroids resolve themselves/let you be more aggressive about removal? Like a backup QT?

Hydroids happen and tend to vanish on their own, but even with manual removal there will always be some until they're all gone. Seahorses in the wild deal with everything we avoid+the kitchen sink probably literally in some places, hydroids are not good for them but unless you can aggressively keep the risk low or move the sea horses temporarily its kinda a gamble right now.

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you isolate the seahorses for the time being, let the hydroids resolve themselves/let you be more aggressive about removal? Like a backup QT?

Hydroids happen and tend to vanish on their own, but even with manual removal there will always be some until they're all gone. Seahorses in the wild deal with everything we avoid+the kitchen sink probably literally in some places, hydroids are not good for them but unless you can aggressively keep the risk low or move the sea horses temporarily its kinda a gamble right now.
I do not have another tank but I do have a display tank which is 30 gallons. I am thinking I can isolate them in a box while I manually remove the hydrozoans. I feel the number is staying the same. I want to lessen the feedings I do because I will admit I am feeding a lot of BBS. However this is crucial becuase I have 3 baby fry above which need crazy amount of feedings!

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow- that is a lot- I would take the rock out and place in container of tank water and scrub off
Is there a certain way I can do this. I want to stress the seahorses and goby as little as possible. The live rock is quite big for a small tank and will displace a lot of the water. I feel I should just clean it all at once and hope I don’t stress them out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 23

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is there a certain way I can do this. I want to stress the seahorses and goby as little as possible. The live rock is quite big for a small tank and will displace a lot of the water. I feel I should just clean it all at once and hope I don’t stress them out!
Yes, all at once and I would not worry about water displacement as it will be temporary. You can stop pumps for that short amount of time or add water to keep at level and remove before adding rock back in.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@haigyfish Have anyone told you yet that what you have there is upside down jellyfish buddings and not hydroids? They will start swimming around your tank in around 15 to 30 days from the current stage

Last edited:

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@haigyfish Have anyone told you yet that what you have there is upside down jellyfish buddings and not hydroids? They will start swimming around your tank in around 15 to 30 days from the current stage
I have heard that it can be this and a mix but the more tips and knowledge the better I am new to this and appreciate it! So what can I do since they are jellyfish budding’s?

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are still in the budding stage and I have scrubbed the rock and they come back. I siphon the sand they come back. I even cut back in feeding the live bbs but I can only cut back so much. I am tempted to move to a fresh tank and get rid of this nuisance. I saw a male dwarf seahorse eat a bud today and it was stuck in its mouth till It fell out…

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back