Hydroids? How does one manage these?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something about my frag system is very accommodating to these invasive little buggers. My display has none, while every plug in my frag is covered in them. They often seem to irritate the base of some acropora and inhibit their ability to encrust the plug. As I move frags over to my display, they disappear over time.

So first question: Are they hydroids or something else? The tube is soft, not hard.

Second, any tips on managing them? My frag system runs high nutrient in/out -- mostly fish food/waste -- otherwise I get a dino bloom going.

Grateful for your suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG-4454.mov
    9.5 MB

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the video.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something about my frag system is very accommodating to these invasive little buggers. My display has none, while every plug in my frag is covered in them. They often seem to irritate the base of some acropora and inhibit their ability to encrust the plug. As I move frags over to my display, they disappear over time.

So first question: Are they hydroids or something else? The tube is soft, not hard.

Second, any tips on managing them? My frag system runs high nutrient in/out -- mostly fish food/waste -- otherwise I get a dino bloom going.

Grateful for your suggestions.

Can’t open vid. could you post a picture of the hydroids in question, difference species got different ways to tackle.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with small patches in the past. But nowhere near the level of invasion you are describing. I used to brush off what I could and glue or epoxy over the area. That would not be fun to do on numerous frag plugs though. Hope someone has a good idea. Following for knowledge.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I move frags over to my display, they disappear over time.
Sounds like they are starving in a low nutrition tank is why they are disappearing on your display tank would be my guess.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he must be one of a kind ;)
Nah. I had quite a population when my tank was new. Read this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/firstt...critter-identification-hydroid-jellyfish/amp/

and decided to try one. he demolished them. I mean just look at that face... ;)
EEE070CC-254F-4057-8A72-25088C656275.jpeg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back