Hydroids...is it the end of my tank.

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is just over 5 months old. It is a 13.5 evo tank. It has a clown fish, tailspot blenny and a wheeler goby and pistol shrimp, plus my cuc crew. I added a coral a few weeks back and i noticed something pop up on it and I didn't know if it was a feather duster, aptasia or hydroids. I glued over my the rock of my leather coral where the thing was, thinking ok that should do it whatever it is. Fast forward two weeks later I see another one pop up on the same rock and one on my zoa. Then today I saw some more hydroids on my back glass. I took a small thing of peroxide and with my syringe covered the hydroid up with the tip of the syringe and gave a little squirt of peroxide. I have also taken a razor before to dig them out of the rock they are in. This is where my question is. I have read several things that are confusing me. 1 is this normal for a new tank and eventually they will go away as the tank becomes more established and stable. 2 is it a death sentence and nothing can be done and to tear down the tank. I am currently trying to see if their is anything I can actually do to effectively neutralize them. I understand they show up because of excess nutrients and I plan on cutting my feedings way down to just once a day. Is peroxide an actual functional way to deal with them? Will eventually they just starve out? Does anyone have any effective approach besides pulling rock out. Thanks for any help you can provide. I know this has come up alot on this forum.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had hydroids in the past you are not alone they are common no need to panic I would just keep and eye on them and just keep checking to make sure they don’t irritate corals. They should go away on there own over time.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are colonial hydroids, just accept them. They don’t hurt anything. And certainly no need to panic. They are a normal part of reef keeping. You will probably get them again anyway, so you’d be wasting time trying to get rid of them. Cutting back feeding is most likely to only upset your fish, and have no effect on hydroids. I have rocks in my fuge that are fairly covered. I can’t imagine what it would take for me to eradicate them from my tank. I’d say it would be impossible...

91dbfb78-0e9d-4035-929d-1817574f0b8e-jpeg.1626736

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Getting rid of them is quite easy. The concept is to starve them as they grab food passing by and favor brine shrimp.
To accomplish this, simply direct flow towards them, not at them and food will not rech them thereby causing them to starve and die off. They are capable of stinging nearby coral. Hydroids are a life stage for most animals of the class Hydrozoa, small predators related to jellyfish who also sting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what has been popping up on my coral rocks. On my glass is the hydroids they are just to small to take a clear picture of

Attachments

• 9A2FA5A8-15E8-4C2F-B084-3D3D4EAB537C.jpeg
    9A2FA5A8-15E8-4C2F-B084-3D3D4EAB537C.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 3C3FB533-5712-4803-A20E-BF443011C04C.jpeg
    3C3FB533-5712-4803-A20E-BF443011C04C.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 266

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hanging in. I have colonial hydroids. No hydroids can be killed by a coral dip, you can never get rid of them, as research is showing they go into the rock itself, so covering them up with epoxy or glue I laugh they come out somewhere else. They keep me from even putting a finger in the 55-gallon tank they are in or selling or giving corals out of it, can not do.
I have to wear gloves or experience a rash, itching, and high blood pressure as they affect the heart as all jellyfish do. Recently made a mistake and put my hand into the tank again. By three in the morning a week ago, my arm that had been in the water was covered with a rash, my fingers were swelling with pressure, and when I tested my blood pressure it was in the high red. I will not shut this tank down. I have all kinds of colorful rock anemones, clams, Duncans, and few could be saved if I tried to pull them off the rocks. Also, how do you not know the hydroids would not come along with them. Hydroids are of the jellyfish family. If you get them in your tank, and you are a sensitive type, pure hell. I was joking with my family I better not swim in the ocean, or I would be dead. I have never seen the ocean, but it looks like the land is a better friend. They are seen on the front rock around the green anemone. They are spread around the tank front to back. I once thought they were beautiful as they glow under the blue lights. As their numbers increased, I started to have reactions, which over time has gotten more intense. Local reef members told me what they were. I would post a picture of my rash going up the arm from fingers to elbow, but I will spare you. Let's just say not pretty, itches like hell. Can not use bumble bee snails or anything else to kill these, they will also kill the clams.

IMG_3049.JPG IMG_3060.JPG

Shroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hanging in. I have colonial hydroids. No hydroids can be killed by a coral dip, you can never get rid of them, as research is showing they go into the rock itself, so covering them up with epoxy or glue I laugh they come out somewhere else. They keep me from even putting a finger in the 55-gallon tank they are in or selling or giving corals out of it, can not do.
I have to wear gloves or experience a rash, itching, and high blood pressure as they affect the heart as all jellyfish do. Recently made a mistake and put my hand into the tank again. By three in the morning a week ago, my arm that had been in the water was covered with a rash, my fingers were swelling with pressure, and when I tested my blood pressure it was in the high red. I will not shut this tank down. I have all kinds of colorful rock anemones, clams, Duncans, and few could be saved if I tried to pull them off the rocks. Also, how do you not know the hydroids would not come along with them. Hydroids are of the jellyfish family. If you get them in your tank, and you are a sensitive type, pure hell. I was joking with my family I better not swim in the ocean, or I would be dead. I have never seen the ocean, but it looks like the land is a better friend. They are seen on the front rock around the green anemone. They are spread around the tank front to back. I once thought they were beautiful as they glow under the blue lights. As their numbers increased, I started to have reactions, which over time has gotten more intense. Local reef members told me what they were. I would post a picture of my rash going up the arm from fingers to elbow, but I will spare you. Let's just say not pretty, itches like hell. Can not use bumble bee snails or anything else to kill these, they will also kill the clams.

IMG_3049.JPG IMG_3060.JPG
That stinks! I have these too I pull them off with my fingers they haven’t stung me. I’ve been stung by jellyfish though, that hurts.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back