Hydrometer or Refractometer?

Data

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obviously understand that a refractometer is more accurate, but I am trying to save some money where I (safely) can and am hoping to go with a hydrometer because it is cheaper. Is a hydrometer an acceptable tool I can use in place of a refractometer, or do I really need to go the whole way and spend some more money? Also, I am worried about calibration.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hydrometer is fine. Rinse it with non salty water after use and it will last a long time.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obviously understand that a refractometer is more accurate, but I am trying to save some money where I (safely) can and am hoping to go with a hydrometer because it is cheaper. Is a hydrometer an acceptable tool I can use in place of a refractometer, or do I really need to go the whole way and spend some more money? Also, I am worried about calibration.
How much is a hydrometer? I bought a refractometer for $20 and you can get calibration fluid for it. BRS gives you calibration fluid when you buy a refractometer

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refractometer is much easier to use, and more reliable. A tiny bubble makes the reading of a hydrometer incorrect.

OP
OP
D

Data

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is a hydrometer? I bought a refractometer for $20 and you can get calibration fluid for it. BRS gives you calibration fluid when you buy a refractometer
The funny thing is that often I have seen hydrometers in the 20 dollar range, but I found a quality one at my local Petsmart for only 10 dollars.

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a refractometer. Save $10 on something less important than salinity measurement.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing more accurate than a good hydrometer!
20200718_201345.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back