Hydrored's 300 Glass Cages Build

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the camera I was looking at-

Canon EOS RP

I’m not looking to turn photo taking into a hobby or post corals for sale. Just want something to document my tank and growth.

I really don’t want to spend another 1200.00 on a macro lens if not needed
I'm not a photography expert, but a couple things I can share.

The lens that comes with the camera you're considering comes with a variable aperture at different focal lengths. I have a slightly different lens that has a fixed aperture, but variable focal length of 24-105 mm. I shot this at f / 8.0, 1/500 sec, ISO 25,600. So the lens you're considering should be able to produce a similar shot. I shot with auto white balance and adjusted the white balance in lightroom. I added an 18 mm extension tube for this photo, as extension tubes can reduce the minimum focusing distance.

3Y4A0765.jpg

For the sake of contrast, here is a shot with the same parameters with a macro lens.

3Y4A0773.jpg

I recently purchased the canon r6, and rented the camera prior to purchasing to make sure I liked how it felt in the hands. I've never used the Canon RP, but I like this chanel's camera reviews.

Also, here are the extension tubes I used. The cost is $40 for the set.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a photography expert, but a couple things I can share.

The lens that comes with the camera you're considering comes with a variable aperture at different focal lengths. I have a slightly different lens that has a fixed aperture, but variable focal length of 24-105 mm. I shot this at f / 8.0, 1/500 sec, ISO 25,600. So the lens you're considering should be able to produce a similar shot. I shot with auto white balance and adjusted the white balance in lightroom. I added an 18 mm extension tube for this photo, as extension tubes can reduce the minimum focusing distance.

3Y4A0765.jpg

For the sake of contrast, here is a shot with the same parameters with a macro lens.

3Y4A0773.jpg

I recently purchased the canon r6, and rented the camera prior to purchasing to make sure I liked how it felt in the hands. I've never used the Canon RP, but I like this chanel's camera reviews.

Also, here are the extension tubes I used. The cost is $40 for the set.

Thank you! I saw his review, the take away I got was it’s a good entry level camera for taking photos and not good at video, I’m really not buying a camera for video and the 13 pro IMO does just fine for that purpose and I have not taken a single video in over a year.

My other take away is for the price point it seems like a well recommended starter camera for photo’s and Canon seems like an overall commonly recommended brand.

I’m not going to complain about a few hundred more but I’m really am just looking for a decent value that a total noob can take OK photos with. Budget is not an issue for me, it’s more just best value for what I want to do.

I know nothing about this camera jazz so it makes my brain hurt to understand it. If I can get a photo even close to yours above I would be stoked.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Hydrored look up d2mini. Not sure if Dennis is still on the forums but he helped me a bunch when I picked up a Nikon 5300 4-5 years ago. I got a killer deal on one for like $400. I haven't done much with it but it takes better pics than any cell phone.

It's all about shooting in RAW and learning how to edit in post. This is the part that always gets me.

My Pixel phones take way better pics than any iPhone I've ever tried. I had the 11 Pro Max and it was a joke with tank pics.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you go with an entry level dslr like the Canon rebel and buy a used 100mm f/2.8 macro lens? Used lens, because its discontinued for their only available L series glass for 1.2k.

Sub 1k will get you plenty of camera to take amateur tank shots, and shots leaps and bounds ahead of any cellphone.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you share how do you have power blocks hidden for the lights?

For the Stratons? The cables are hanging off the back of the lights going behind the tank with the power supplies mounted in the stand.

C9F94D55-1322-4B3F-BBCF-596C86D39F30.jpeg

For my 300 build I installed an outlet above the rack

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors are coming back but polyp extension sucks to non existent, the PH on this tank is also running lower being in a small room peaking at 8.20 where my 210 pretty consistently hit 8.3. Also will already be making a slight change in the lighting department next week

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors are coming back but polyp extension sucks to non existent, the PH on this tank is also running lower being in a small room peaking at 8.20 where my 210 pretty consistently hit 8.3. Also will already be making a slight change in the lighting department next week
I've pretty much given up on PE these days. I get great growth and decent color but no fuzz at all.

Here is Matt V psycho asylum straight out of the FedEx truck (courtesy of @Charlie's Frags). Polyps have not extended since hitting the tank.

65886722685--2862C967-018F-4F5A-8225-353EDBAA561D.jpg

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've pretty much given up on PE these days. I get great growth and decent color but no fuzz at all.

Here is Matt V psycho asylum straight out of the FedEx truck (courtesy of @Charlie's Frags). Polyps have not extended since hitting the tank.

65886722685--2862C967-018F-4F5A-8225-353EDBAA561D.jpg

I need to hit up Charlie when I’m in Houston to grab some frags, his tenuis are like bearded wonders

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the new Apogee MQ650 today and oh boy was my MQ510 reading much lower. The 650 range is 380-760 nm. GNC is amazing as always and sent over another Blueray Pro, I removed all of the Kessil’s. I couldn’t be more satisfied with the customer service from GNC, not sure of any other lighting company that will reach out and have a FaceTime discussion about what you are trying to accomplish. I ended up turning my lights down a bit but the coverage is now what I would consider perfect.

Edit: By no means is this amount of Bluerays required to grow SPS, I like to run lower percentages with more fixtures to provide even coverage.

28E4BA4F-D3F4-4E2E-A1B8-55874E9BC639.jpeg

Last edited:

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrored, could you elaborate a bit on what was the issue of your GNC because I have the GNC BluRay M-Pro. Also, do you know how to update GNC firmware?
I've emailed to AquariumPartners for a month or so, still haven't got any reply.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrored, could you elaborate a bit on what was the issue of your GNC because I have the GNC BluRay M-Pro. Also, do you know how to update GNC firmware?
I've emailed to AquariumPartners for a month or so, still haven't got any reply.

Hello,

I haven't had any issues, I had a discussion with them surrounding a coverage issue and was going to have 2 custom 72' light bars made for my tank, instead adding the fifth light and spreading the lights out more gave me what I was looking for and was actually cheaper. I also was asking for details about the spectrum on red channel and changed how I run the lights now.

I don't have any issues contacting them and have always been very responsive, I can give you the reps direct number if you want via PM. I find for aquarium partners the chat is the best option and they will respond there.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydro:

Thanks for continuing to keep us all up to date with your build thread. Now that you have experience with both the Stratons and the GNCs how would you compare the 2? Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Hello @Quiverfull

I'll do my best to give my perspective-

Stratons:

I still believe these are the best LED on the market and provide the best overall coverage along with all of the PAR one could want/need. SPS grew and colored up great under these lights, set them to LPS/SPS with a percentage for what you are growing, and leave them alone. The mounting options are terrible and really limit us in the US to hanging them from the ceiling and even with the mounting brackets (if you import them) leave little to be desired.

GNC Blueray:

I will be sticking with these lights due to my use case. I much prefer the fact that you can hang these or mount them in many different ways. GNC also has light bars that you can mount and easily implement with a single power supply and dim and schedule along with the Bluerays. I do not doubt these can grow and color any coral, there are years worth of tanks showing this. A con for these lights is you are limited on what spectrum you can have being there are only 3 channels. This is not a personal con for me as I love the 20k look with deep blue for sunrise and sunset.

Summary:

If you are willing to hang lights from the ceiling or OK with doing some sort of witchcraft to mount lights I would pick the Stratons

If you need more mounting options, are OK with certain spectrums, and ever plan to use light bars, I would pick the Bluerays. Where it gets interesting is you can pick up Bluerays on sale for around 800-1000 each if you are patient and come with a 3-year warranty. I would take a Blueray at 800.00 any day over any other light manufacturer at that price point.

Ultimately my use case is why I'm sticking with the Bluerays. Truth be told I really wanted to try a halide hybrid with this tank but I couldn't find one and the other options were ugly as hell.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back