OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found myself sitting and just thinking in the new room about hanging all of this metal from the ceiling. I really believe there has to be something much simpler.

I started looking and found @AquaticLifeProducts has the decorative plates that include the extension kit for their hybrid kit, with the 24” kit it can allow me to mount the GNC Blueray Pros.

Now the question is can one fixture support the weight of itself and another 28 lbs from the GNC’s and power supplies. I saw one post where it’s only recommended 60% max so roughly 26.4 pounds.

I will need 2 fixtures for the 4 GNC’s and will help with the coverage for 33 wide.

Anyone have any feedback? This will also require me to scrap the Kessil’s, the tank will be absolutely dead flat with no shimmer going this route.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found myself sitting and just thinking in the new room about hanging all of this metal from the ceiling. I really believe there has to be something much simpler.

I started looking and found @AquaticLifeProducts has the decorative plates that include the extension kit for their hybrid kit, with the 24” kit it can allow me to mount the GNC Blueray Pros.

Now the question is can one fixture support the weight of itself and another 28 lbs from the GNC’s and power supplies. I saw one post where it’s only recommended 60% max so roughly 26.4 pounds.

I will need 2 fixtures for the 4 GNC’s and will help with the coverage for 33 wide.

Anyone have any feedback? This will also require me to scrap the Kessil’s, the tank will be absolutely dead flat with no shimmer going this route.
Have you thought about doing a floating canopy off the back wall? You can attach it to a TV mount and have it rotate up into a fixed position for maintenance in the tank. For a tank your length and with the weight of the lights, you should probably do 2 mounts. On the inside of the canopy, you could create a frame out of 80/20 to custom fit your lights, Kessils included. Install a gangway behind the canopy and then run all the power lines through the wall and down to the stand or to a fishroom.

Yes, this is a lot of work, but its a clean, custom install that makes tank maintenance way easier. For me personally, I'm not a wood worker, so unless the stand maker can do a floating canopy, I might be SOL.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about doing a floating canopy off the back wall? You can attach it to a TV mount and have it rotate up into a fixed position for maintenance in the tank. For a tank your length and with the weight of the lights, you should probably do 2 mounts. On the inside of the canopy, you could create a frame out of 80/20 to custom fit your lights, Kessils included. Install a gangway behind the canopy and then run all the power lines through the wall and down to the stand or to a fishroom.

Yes, this is a lot of work, but its a clean, custom install that makes tank maintenance way easier. For me personally, I'm not a wood worker, so unless the stand maker can do a floating canopy, I might be SOL.

I bought all of the 8020 to hang everything, I’m at 61 lbs just for the lights and power supplies, there is an outlet up high just for the lights also. I looked at a Mantel Mount but not really that interested in cutting up that much of the wall to install, they seem like the perfect item of the job though….

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought all of the 8020 to hang everything, I’m at 61 lbs just for the lights and power supplies, there is an outlet up high just for the lights also. I looked at a Mantel Mount but not really that interested in cutting up that much of the wall to install, they seem like the perfect item of the job though….
You like to tinker with your toys... maybe take things a step further so it's easier to switch out lights AND have to look top notch? I think the extra effort would be worth it.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrapped up my other build today, all of the RGB lol. I actually just have them set to blue but why not

A8C7F860-0272-4FC8-A334-D73E7CD32031.jpeg

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the controller boards, I used a router to have them slot in the rails, this also gives me enough depth to install the Royal Exclusiv controllers and a power strip. Most of the controls will be accessed from the outside of the stand instead of the interior-

089E9C32-37E1-4863-8CFB-E219871966EA.jpeg
91A9B412-8FA0-4F35-ADC2-9A3785A8A0E5.jpeg

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the controller boards, I used a router to have them slot in the rails, this also gives me enough depth to install the Royal Exclusiv controllers and a power strip. Most of the controls will be accessed from the outside of the stand instead of the interior-

089E9C32-37E1-4863-8CFB-E219871966EA.jpeg
91A9B412-8FA0-4F35-ADC2-9A3785A8A0E5.jpeg
Did you custom make those boards or find ones that fit under your stand? I'd love to see more pictures of how you set this up

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you custom make those boards or find ones that fit under your stand? I'd love to see more pictures of how you set this up

I'll get some more pictures for you, they are the XL boards from Adaptive reef and I used PVC board to customize them. Nothing fancy, used a router and miter chop saw to do it all.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 custom sumps and the custom frag tank will be delivered tomorrow from Advanced Acrylics. Received all of the 8020 today for the light rack so things are really starting to move along. 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits are now in, going much simpler this time. The return pumps, skimmer, lights, and MP's (battery backup's) will all be plugged directly in instead of going through a controller. The only things that will be plugged into the controller power strip are the dosetronic, ATO, and heaters.

Picked up 4 of these to be able to raise and lower the fixture rack-

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! please post pics if you find them!
Dug and dug. No pics found yet, but I am determined now. I am now going through hard drives of 1000s of pics. Wife saw me digging through pics and guess what? She saw kid pics she forgot about. Guess who is now building out a home cloud server for all those pics? Sadly, me. Hate her knowing I don’t just mange a ton of IT people, but actually know how to do their jobs lol.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking great! Just take some vacation days and knock it all out so your viewers can be entertained.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, clean look. Now if those cable clamps only had motors to raise and lower the frame.... Just kidding. ;)

Actually, my plan was to do that from my attic, then I thought I never actually change the height of my lights once they are set, I can do it manually for the 1 or maybe 2 times a year I move them out of the way.

It's actually really easy to add a winch up there to raise and lower the cables, I even put an outlet up there to do it.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrapped up my other build today, all of the RGB lol. I actually just have them set to blue but why not

A8C7F860-0272-4FC8-A334-D73E7CD32031.jpeg
Im not an RGB fan, but in context of a reef tank I think its pretty fitting since corals come in colors of the rainbow. Great looking build! I haven't done a wc building so long... my current loop is probably going on 3 years uncleaned. :eek:

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not an RGB fan, but in context of a reef tank I think its pretty fitting since corals come in colors of the rainbow. Great looking build! I haven't done a wc building so long... my current loop is probably going on 3 years uncleaned. :eek:

I went with the corsair kit to simplify my life other than the water block for the 3080 ti, it came with all of the RGB fans but I actually have all of the lighting off in the case. I prefer no light at all. The Corsair kit while expensive, is great because it comes with everything you need to do that WC build.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%

Back