Hydrored's 300 Glass Cages Build

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a 210 Planet Aquarium tank that was installed in May of 2020, the tank will need to be moved temporarily so I figured I might as well upgrade to the largest tank my wife would allow. The target for the tank will be around the end of October to early November.

The tank will be made by Glass Cages. @Joe Glass Cages has been nothing but outstanding to work with through the planning. I called him with one tank in mind and ended up with something completely different but none the less it has been a pleasure so far.

Specs-
Height84LX33WX25T 300 gallons
Glass OptionsLow-Iron-Front-and-Both-Sides
Euro-Bracing OptionsEuro Braced with 3/8 Low Iron without Trim and with Concealed Water Line
SiliconeBlack
Seam GuardsYes
Overflow StyleShadow V2 with 2 Holes Drilled
Vinyl OptionsBlack, Back
Black PadYes
Starboard BottomYes

Stand-
Stand will be a custom aluminum stand from Frametech, another outstanding company to work with. I still have to figure out who will do the skin.

Sump-
Ordered from Advanced Acrylics 60x24x16 PVCS154GR (Blue welds) with 3 - 1.5" bh drains, 2 - 3/4" bh return holes, and 8 dosing lines in the dosing/reactor section. Added lid to the dosing section

Lighting-
6 Orphek Icons

I currently have 4 Stratons over my 210, I love these lights and currently couldn't be happier with the growth and coloring of the SPS, trying the GNC's out. Edit: Replaced GNC’s with Orphek Icons

Flow-
4 MP60's

Sump equipment-
2 Royal Exclusiv Speedy return pumps
Royal Exclusiv Deluxe 200
MP10 in the sump

Dosing-
2 Neptune DOS and I also have a DOS in the garage for AWC. Royal Exclusiv triple dosing container.

Testing-
Currently using both the Trident and the Alkatronic, the Alkatronic was a recent purchase that I'm testing. Was off to a very rough start with it but has been working great other than being too noisy for my liking.

Added a Mastertronic

Control-
Apex 2016 with 2 power bars

Heaters-
Dual Aqua Logic controllers with 2 BRS titanium elements

ATO-
SpectraPure Ultra Precise ATO

Rock-
3 Aquaroche XL structures with ocean live rock in the sump

AWC, ATO, Mixing tank setup-
76b77b58-4e89-417e-be3b-8f9b85be5072-jpeg.2076995
4b78796c-28f4-4af6-89ae-02d2be0bfafc-jpeg.2076996

RODI setup-
I have 270+ TDS water with chloramines, water is absolutely horrible. I use a 1-micron sediment filter -> 5 carbon blocks -> 2 Chloramine Monsters -> 2 75 GPD Membranes ->6 stages of DI. Booster pump is set to 90 PSI.

Last edited:

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a 210 Planet Aquarium tank that was installed in May of 2020, the tank will need to be moved temporarily so I figured I might as well upgrade to the largest tank my wife would allow. The target for the tank will be around the end of October to early November.

The tank will be made by Glass Cages. @Joe Glass Cages has been nothing but outstanding to work with through the planning. I called him with one tank in mind and ended up with something completely different but none the less it has been a pleasure so far.

Specs-
Euro-Bracing OptionsEuro Braced with 3/8 Low Iron without Trim and with Concealed Water Line
SiliconeBlack
Seam GuardsYes
Vinyl OptionsBlack , Back
Black PadYes
Starboard BottomYes

Stand-
Stand will be a custom aluminum stand from Frametech, another outstanding company to work with. I still have to figure out who will do the skin.

Sump-
Received one quote from Advanced Acrylics but they tend to miss expected delivery dates and the feedback from other members hasn't been that great for that same reason. Joe mentioned Synergy Reef, I like the CL60 but only want 4" filter socks and am waiting on a quote.

Equipment is already owned that will be transferred-

Lighting-
4 Stratons, I love these lights and currently couldn't be happier with the growth and coloring of the SPS. I also just picked up a couple of Kessil A360X's to play with for shimmer, I may add a third if I decide to keep them. Chasing the lighting look found here-

Flow-
2 MP60's
4 MP40's
2 Gyre XF350 or Reefwave 45's, I currently have both of them on hand and am testing the Reefwaves right now.

Sump equipment-
Royal Exclusiv Bubble King 200
MP10 in the sump

Dosing-
Currently using 3 Neptune DOS's for 4 part and food. I recently purchased a Dosetronic that will handle 4 part that will not be installed until the new tank arrives. I also have a DOS in the garage for AWC.

Testing-
Currently using both the Trident and the Alkatronic, the Alkatronic was a recent purchase that I'm testing. Was off to a very rough start with it but has been working great other than being too noisy for my liking.

Control-
Currently have an Apex 2016 with 3 energy bars under the tank and a fourth smaller bar in the garage for the mixing and AWC station I'm closely watching @Billldg thread on the transfer to GHL. I will not use the KH director but I'm still concerned over the Maxi dosers not being available yet for AWC or ATO from my garage. I really want to move away from Apex but it needs to meet all of my needs right away or I'm not willing to make the switch.

RODI setup-
I have 270+ TDS water with chloramines, water is absolutely horrible. I use a 1-micron sediment filter -> 5 carbon blocks -> 2 Chloramine Monsters -> 2 75 GPD Membranes ->6 stages of DI. Booster pump is set to 90 PSI.
bf7f3ee5-ca37-4a31-9e8c-a44bd4849049-jpeg.2008880

I got the blessing from the wife on the cost of the tank and stand tonight, next steps are signing off on the tank design and getting the sump rolling.

I have never seen an RODI system that big. I really looking forward to seeing this build come along.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen an RODI system that big. I really looking forward to seeing this build come along.

Yeah it's complete overkill, I couldn't believe how bad our water tested, It had high amounts of lead also. So now I replace all the carbon filters every 3 months, membranes every 6, monsters every 12.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Specs-
SiliconeBlack
Seam GuardsYes
Black PadYes
Starboard BottomYes

Stand-

Sump-
Received one quote from Advanced Acrylics but they tend to miss expected delivery dates and the feedback from other members hasn't been that great for that same reason. Joe mentioned Synergy Reef, I like the CL60 but only want 4" filter socks and am waiting on a quote.

Equipment is already owned that will be transferred-

Lighting-
4 Stratons, I love these lights and currently couldn't be happier with the growth and coloring of the SPS. I also just picked up a couple of Kessil A360X's to play with for shimmer, I may add a third if I decide to keep them. Chasing the lighting look found here-

Flow-
2 MP60's
4 MP40's
2 Gyre XF350 or Reefwave 45's, I currently have both of them on hand and am testing the Reefwaves right now.

Sump equipment-
MP10 in the sump

Dosing-
Currently using 3 Neptune DOS's for 4 part and food. I recently purchased a Dosetronic that will handle 4 part that will not be installed until the new tank arrives. I also have a DOS in the garage for AWC.

Testing-

Control-
Currently have an Apex 2016 with 3 energy bars under the tank and a fourth smaller bar in the garage for the mixing and AWC station I'm closely watching @Billldg thread on the transfer to GHL. I will not use the KH director but I'm still concerned over the Maxi dosers not being available yet for AWC or ATO from my garage. I really want to move away from Apex but it needs to meet all of my needs right away or I'm not willing to make the switch.

RODI setup-
bf7f3ee5-ca37-4a31-9e8c-a44bd4849049-jpeg.2008880

I got the blessing from the wife on the cost of the tank and stand tonight, next steps are signing off on the tank design and getting the sump rolling.

When it comes to AWC, I am using, AND COMPLETELY SOLD, on using the Ecotech Versa pumps. I have to pump from downstairs, and over roughly 50 ft, to my tank, and the Versa does that easily. As far as a ATO, I will be going back to a Tunze, I am just waiting on the new release of the new Tunze as the 3155 seems to be absent. ;)

Don't give up in the KHD, I can't compare it against anything other than the Trident ALK...I am not rich, LOL!!! Against the Trident though, I will pick the KHD any day of the week, as my test showed. The truth will be shown when I eventually get my IOND.;)

Picking @Joe Glass Cages for your upgrade, you can't go wrong. I fell this will be a AWESOME upgrade. I can't wait to see it come together!!!

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to AWC, I am using, AND COMPLETELY SOLD, on using the Ecotech Versa pumps. I have to pump from downstairs, and over roughly 50 ft, to my tank, and the Versa does that easily. As far as a ATO, I will be going back to a Tunze, I am just waiting on the new release of the new Tunze as the 3155 seems to be absent. ;)

Don't give up in the KHD, I can't compare it against anything other than the Trident ALK...I am not rich, LOL!!! Against the Trident though, I will pick the KHD any day of the week, as my test showed. The truth will be shown when I eventually get my IOND.;)

Picking @Joe Glass Cages for your upgrade, you can't go wrong. I fell this will be a AWESOME upgrade. I can't wait to see it come together!!!

Interesting on the Versa, I had one of the initial released ones for my calcium reactor and had nothing but problems, Ecotech handled them but put a bad taste in my mouth with that and all of the issues with my G5 Radions. I get rid of everything Ecotech other than my tried and true MP’s

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's complete overkill, I couldn't believe how bad our water tested, It had high amounts of lead also. So now I replace all the carbon filters every 3 months, membranes every 6, monsters every 12.
I don't know what part of texas you live in, I'm here in San Antonio, and our TDS is around 250, but my system is not nearly as large has yours, and I have 0 TDS.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting on the Versa, I had one of the initial released ones for my calcium reactor and had nothing but problems, Ecotech handled them but put a bad taste in my mouth with that and all of the issues with my G5 Radions. I get rid of everything Ecotech other than my tried and true MP’s
Very intresting, I have 12 G5 XR15's and have have had any real issues to speak of. What kind of problems were you having with them?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting on the Versa, I had one of the initial released ones for my calcium reactor and had nothing but problems, Exotech handled them but put a bad taste in my mouth with that and all of the issues with my G5 Radions. I get rid of everything Ecotech other than my tried and true MP’s
I can take picks if need be, I have no issue doing that. I have had no issue with the Versa. I have them on my mixing station, which is down in the basement, and I pump them up a floor and over thru 50-60ft of tubing to my tank. I currently use 3 of them on my AWC and my ATO. I use the 3rd to fill my ATO container. As far as G5 issues, I am not aware of any. I have 4 XR15 G5 Blues, and I am looking to add a 5th. The Par spread caught me off guard. I am using the Radions in a Hybrid setup. I have a Par meter and use it regularly. I am not a initial fan of Mobius, but with WiFi, it has started to grow on me.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very intresting, I have 12 G5 XR15's and have have had any real issues to speak of. What kind of problems were you having with them?

Well other than 4 of the XR15 and 5 XR30’s coming cracked it was ultimately mobius. I had on more than one occasion a light just randomly come on in the middle of the night or lights loose synce and blasting light. Another issue was the fan noise was not acceptable to me. I like Ecotech’s service and pumps, but mobius is a whole other issue that people still post about to this day. I have not had a Straton lose it’s sync or unable to connect from day one and are silent.

Not slamming the company, just not for me

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say the Par spread caught me off guard, it was truly for the better. I have 4 Radion XR15 G5 Blues in a Aquatic Life Hybrid, and when I took Par reading, I had to ask Dana Riddle if this is possible. I was getting 200 Par at the bottom of my 225 gal tank, 72x30x24, and the Radions were only at 50 percent with the T5's on.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well other than 4 of the XR15 and 5 XR30’s coming cracked it was ultimately mobius. I had on more than one occasion a light just randomly come on in the middle of the night or lights loose synce and blasting light. Another issue was the fan noise was not acceptable to me. I like Ecotech’s service and pumps, but mobius is a whole other issue that people still post about to this day. I have not had a Straton lose it’s sync or unable to connect from day one and are silent.

Not slamming the company, just not for me
They corrected their issue, so I wouldn't worry about it now. I received 4 with no issues, though, I did not get the first release. :)

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say the Par spread caught me off guard, it was truly for the better. I have 4 Radion XR15 G5 Blues in a Aquatic Life Hybrid, and when I took Par reading, I had to ask Dana Riddle if this is possible. I was getting 200 Par at the bottom of my 225 gal tank, 72x30x24, and the Radions were only at 50 percent with the T5's on.

Hopefully the mobius WiFi fixes most of the concerns for everyone

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact is, is doesn't matter what you choose, I am curious as to what you will build. ;)

With such a great wife, lets see what you can get away with when buying the items needed to support this massive tank.;Hilarious:p:cool::rolleyes:

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact is, is doesn't matter what you choose, I am curious as to what you will build. ;)

With such a great wife, lets see what you can get away with when buying the items needed to support this massive tank.;Hilarious:p:cool::rolleyes:

I already own 4 Stratons and picked up a couple Kessil’s to play with. I honestly love my lights and I’ve pretty much tried them all. If even I were to think of trying a different light it would be the GNC Blu Ray Pro.

I have no issue spending the money to find exactly what I want but I’m pretty particular. Royal Exclusiv is another one of those brands for me

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is ordered from Advanced Acrylics

60x24x16 PVCS154GR (Blue welds) with 3 - 1.5" bh drains, 2 - 3/4" bh return holes and 8 dosing lines in the dosing/reactor section. Added lid to the dosing section

image_720x.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Specs-
SiliconeBlack
Seam GuardsYes
Black PadYes
Starboard BottomYes

Stand-

Sump-
Ordered from Advanced Acrylics 60x24x16 PVCS154GR (Blue welds) with 3 - 1.5" bh drains, 2 - 3/4" bh return holes and 8 dosing lines in the dosing/reactor section. Added lid to the dosing section

All of the equipment listed is already owned that will be transferred-

Lighting-

Flow-
2 MP60's
4 MP40's

Sump equipment-
MP10 in the sump

Dosing-

Testing-

Control-

RODI setup-

Thanks so much for the mention @Hydrored. this is a ton of fun. Look forward to seeing it all come together!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks @Billldg. truly appreciate the support. Team is doing amazing work!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back