Hydrored's 300 Glass Cages Build

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, I have never heard of those lights. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do on the tank.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a ceramic type material that is very porous. Cool thing about it is it works on a peg system so you can add to it, change it up by making it shorter or longer, even add little cups on the ends to glue frags into. It’s almost completely modular. You can pull off a section and mount frags to it, put it back into the tank.

I decided to pick a pre designed structure but you can practically built anything starting with a base.

It’s not a replacement for my real live rock, I just hate the Caribsea rock and will never use it again so I have an opportunity to try something new and get rid of some concrete out of my tank.

@mxnutz used it in his build thread-

Here is the pre designed structure in a 6 foot tank-

A43DEC08-EFFB-42D0-857C-B794FD2D43E8.jpeg

Looks fantastic!

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaroche rocks are shipping to me on Friday, received 2 intake guards for return pumps and another for the skimmer today. Will be nice to have a sump where I can finally fit guards from the never ending assault from snails.
75FE8F56-E306-452C-BC03-E3D616E05009.jpeg

Hopefully GHL will have a sale soon so I can finally replace all of my apex equipment @Billldg has convinced me to go to the dark side. I will wait for a sale before buying anything so it may come much later

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, I have never heard of those lights. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do on the tank.

I enjoy the equipment and especially the lighting side of the hobby a lot. That’s what’s cool about this hobby, your interest can take you down different paths.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also ordered 2 9780 XL Acroporock from Aquaroche that is in customs now, I will be replacing my existing caribsea rock and keeping all of the from ocean live rock. Don't let the picture fool you these are large! 30x18x18 x2-

https://www.aquariumpartners.com/product-page/acroporock-xl-kit-13pcs-30in-x-18in-x-18in

Elos has been great to work with so far on the lights and rock

Change in plans on the rock, still using Aquaroche Acroporock but decided instead of 2 XL's I decided to go with 3 9720's. This change will allow me to pretty much build any scape I want due to the ability to mix and match the parts or just use them as designed unlike the XL's.

The rock and the rail for the GNC lights will be here Thursday

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand shipped today, no idea how long it takes to get here from NY to Texas. The question I have is, what do people use for plywood on the top? any specific type or thickness? I also need plywood for the downstairs as well to support the sump and gear. @Joe Glass Cages any recommendations?

Does anybody have any recommendations for an AIO frag tank? There is a CADE 600 frag local but I choked when I heard the price for a 33 gallon tank. It will be for sticks only using Kessils for light temporarily until my Stratons come down.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stand shipped today, no idea how long it takes to get here from NY to Texas. The question I have is, what do people use for plywood on the top? any specific type or thickness? I also need plywood for the downstairs as well to support the sump and gear. @Joe Glass Cages any recommendations?

Does anybody have any recommendations for an AIO frag tank? There is a CADE 600 frag local but I choked when I heard the price for a 33 gallon tank. It will be for sticks only using Kessils for light temporarily until my Stratons come down.

Thanks!

I am planning on 1/2" or 3/4" plywood. Some have said to use marine grade/severe weather. I plan to paint with an outdoor paint and seal it no matter which way I go. I will likely use 1/2" for the downstairs and 3/4" on top. I am going to grab some kind of foam for the top as well.

You will likely get yours before I get mine so I will be wathing to see what you go with ;)

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
for sure. below is the setup instructions for our tanks. Let me know if you have any questions.

Set Up Instructions

All aquariums must be set up on stand as specified in warranty. A sheet of 3/4" Styrofoam or aquarium grade pad (reaching completely side-to-side and front-to-back) must be placed between the tank and the surface of the stand. Aquariums should not be set on wood furniture, stereos, televisions, or other surfaces that have not been designed to support an aquarium. Setting up the aquarium on a homemade stand or on a surface such as the ones mentioned above can result in stress breakage of the side or bottom glass panels of the aquarium. Breakage is NOT guaranteed. It is very important to follow the SET UP INSTRUCTIONS: Each leg of the aquarium stand must sit flat on the floor. Each corner of the aquarium must sit flat on each corner of the top of the aquarium stand. If either the legs or the corners of the aquarium do not sit flat then proper shimming is required. The shimming referred to here is the placing of thin strips of tile, wood, or paper under the leg or corner of the aquarium to make the leg or corner sit flat. IMPORTANT!! Special setup is required on a carpeted floor due to the fact that carpeting tends to cover up uneven floors which can cause stress breakage. If the aquarium is set on carpeting, the carpeting should be pulled back to expose the bare floor. Then follow setup instructions above. After the stand and aquarium have been checked and proper shimming done, if necessary, the carpeting can be put back in place and the stand and aquarium should be placed in the exact same position as before on top of the carpeting. The stand and aquarium should be reset up using the same shims, if any were needed, in the same position that was used when the stand and aquarium were set up on the bare floor.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure. below is the setup instructions for our tanks. Let me know if you have any questions.

Set Up Instructions

All aquariums must be set up on stand as specified in warranty. A sheet of 3/4" Styrofoam or aquarium grade pad (reaching completely side-to-side and front-to-back) must be placed between the tank and the surface of the stand. Aquariums should not be set on wood furniture, stereos, televisions, or other surfaces that have not been designed to support an aquarium. Setting up the aquarium on a homemade stand or on a surface such as the ones mentioned above can result in stress breakage of the side or bottom glass panels of the aquarium. Breakage is NOT guaranteed. It is very important to follow the SET UP INSTRUCTIONS: Each leg of the aquarium stand must sit flat on the floor. Each corner of the aquarium must sit flat on each corner of the top of the aquarium stand. If either the legs or the corners of the aquarium do not sit flat then proper shimming is required. The shimming referred to here is the placing of thin strips of tile, wood, or paper under the leg or corner of the aquarium to make the leg or corner sit flat. IMPORTANT!! Special setup is required on a carpeted floor due to the fact that carpeting tends to cover up uneven floors which can cause stress breakage. If the aquarium is set on carpeting, the carpeting should be pulled back to expose the bare floor. Then follow setup instructions above. After the stand and aquarium have been checked and proper shimming done, if necessary, the carpeting can be put back in place and the stand and aquarium should be placed in the exact same position as before on top of the carpeting. The stand and aquarium should be reset up using the same shims, if any were needed, in the same position that was used when the stand and aquarium were set up on the bare floor.

@Joe Glass Cages thank you, I’m actually referring to the stand itself since I’m using one done by Framingtech. I will be using a pad provided by you for in between the tank and plywood

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages thank you, I’m actually referring to the stand itself since I’m using one done by Framingtech. I will be using a pad provided by you for in between the tank and plywood
radical. just need to make sure the entire bottom of the tank is support. 3/4" plywood or expanded pvc work perfectly.

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked up framing tech, nice design! do you plan on wrapping the tank to give it a cabinet look or will you leave it exposed?

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked up framing tech, nice design! do you plan on wrapping the tank to give it a cabinet look or will you leave it exposed?

Well I haven’t made it that far yet but some some things changed over the last couple days. The wife is giving me a room in the house to put the new tank along with a frag tank. I’ll put my office desk in there with a tv and a recliner. So I don’t necessarily have to wrap it any longer or am stuck with her rules of engagement.

This is costing me far more money than the tank with the wife but ultimately I’ll be happier, plus I don’t have to rip and replace all in a day.

I’m now in the market for a frag tank and sump, Advances Acrylics has a 48x24 done done now but I’m not quite sold on acrylic

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven’t made it that far yet but some some things changed over the last couple days. The wife is giving me a room in the house to put the new tank along with a frag tank. I’ll put my office desk in there with a tv and a recliner. So I don’t necessarily have to wrap it any longer or am stuck with her rules of engagement.

This is costing me far more money than the tank with the wife but ultimately I’ll be happier, plus I don’t have to rip and replace all in a day.

I’m now in the market for a frag tank and sump, Advances Acrylics has a 48x24 done done now but I’m not quite sold on acrylic
Gotcha! Those stands you mentioned look really nice so I think I’ll be moving on it when it’s time still have plenty to do in the basement. I did move forward with and acrylic tank and am hype about it. Can’t wait to see what you finally decide on!

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Those stands you mentioned look really nice so I think I’ll be moving on it when it’s time still have plenty to do in the basement. I did move forward with and acrylic tank and am hype about it. Can’t wait to see what you finally decide on!

Let me know when you are ready, I’ll give you the contact I worked with, she was outstanding

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If money isn't a huge issue, just do another custom glass through someone like CDA or Glass Cages. You'll be much more satisfied because you're getting the exact dimensions that you need. For example, I'm a fan of slightly deeper frag tanks because it give me better flexibility with pumps and creating PAR zones.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money isn't a huge issue, just do another custom glass through someone like CDA or Glass Cages. You'll be much more satisfied because you're getting the exact dimensions that you need. For example, I'm a fan of slightly deeper frag tanks because it give me better flexibility with pumps and creating PAR zones.

Very valid point, I’ll reach out to Joe today as I’d like to see if he could ship it at the same time. I’ve never owned a frag tank and I see some people like to tie them into their display and others keep them separate. I’m thinking more along the lines of separate but then I’m taking care of and monitoring 2 tanks….. a lot to think about

What height do you recommend @Operator Wrasse ? this will only be for sticks

Another question I have has anybody ever insta tanked a frag system using existing water and existing live rock in the sump or am I asking for trouble?

Last edited:

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very valid point, I’ll reach out to Joe today as I’d like to see if he could ship it at the same time. I’ve never owned a frag tank and I see some people like to tie them into their display and others keep them separate. I’m thinking more along the lines of separate but then I’m taking care of and monitoring 2 tanks….. a lot to think about

What height do you recommend @Operator Wrasse ? this will only be for sticks

Another question I have has anybody ever insta tanked a frag system using existing water and existing live rock in the sump or am I asking for trouble?
I would think that 16"-18" would be good, especially for sticks. That's plenty of height to grow and any utilitarian fish in the tank have room to swim. Depending on the available area outside the tank, you could do MP10s (or your pump of choice) and set up the flow zones just like a larger tank. Tying the systems together increases the water volume for stability and when fragging from the display, the pieces can immediately go to the frag tank under the same conditions, lighting included. Only the flow changes. Also, you can place some additional rockwork in the tank to provide some hidey-holes for your fish. No one wants unhappy, stressed pets.

Personally, I would tie it into your existing system. I have plans to tie a 100G frag tank to a 250G display. You're right about the double monitoring. If you're looking to sell a lot of frags and grow out, a separate system makes sense because you'll always have a backup in case one system crashes. I need simplicity and my frag tank will essentially be an overflow for cut frags to heal instead of having frag racks in the display. I want to be able to trade 2-3 inch/head frags for salt, kalkwasser, etc. When the system is very mature and I have a fully stocked tank of decent frags, I would be willing to start selling. Bigger frags have a better chance of living through shipping and the buyer will be much happier in the end, even if they're paying for a bigger chunk of coral.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that 16"-18" would be good, especially for sticks. That's plenty of height to grow and any utilitarian fish in the tank have room to swim. Depending on the available area outside the tank, you could do MP10s (or your pump of choice) and set up the flow zones just like a larger tank. Tying the systems together increases the water volume for stability and when fragging from the display, the pieces can immediately go to the frag tank under the same conditions, lighting included. Only the flow changes. Also, you can place some additional rockwork in the tank to provide some hidey-holes for your fish. No one wants unhappy, stressed pets.

Personally, I would tie it into your existing system. I have plans to tie a 100G frag tank to a 250G display. You're right about the double monitoring. If you're looking to sell a lot of frags and grow out, a separate system makes sense because you'll always have a backup in case one system crashes. I need simplicity and my frag tank will essentially be an overflow for cut frags to heal instead of having frag racks in the display. I want to be able to trade 2-3 inch/head frags for salt, kalkwasser, etc. When the system is very mature and I have a fully stocked tank of decent frags, I would be willing to start selling. Bigger frags have a better chance of living through shipping and the buyer will be much happier in the end, even if they're paying for a bigger chunk of coral.

Well the good news is both tanks will be on an ATO and AWC from the garage, so really it just comes down to dosing and monitoring if I went with separate tanks. I don't have any plans of shipping coral, I do sell frags on occasion but mostly turn some into the LFS when I buy food or salt. Really I try to keep this a hobby more than anything, I really want a frag tank more as a place to keep frags for a while until they go in the display or as an oh sh** tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back