Hydrored's 300 Glass Cages Build

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get disposable filter socks, do they come in 7 inch?
Currently we only make 4" disposable filter socks. We may create a 7" version in the future, but this will require new tooling and will take time to develop. For a short term solution we are making an adapter for our 4” filters. It obviously won't provide the capacity of a 7" sock, but it will provide an option for systems with lighter bio loads. I just received the prototype adapters and plan on testing next week. If all goes well they should be available soon.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the Spectrapure ATO’s, seems like a quality product. Hopefully I’ll have no issues pulling from my garage, that and I hope they work with siphon breaks. I had the HDPE and UHMW delivered, the UHMW is some heavy stuff!

Did another custom order for a 8020 light rack to hold the 4 Blueray Pro’s and 3 Kessil’s, wondering if it’s worth going from 3 A360x’s to 2 or 3 a500x’s?
Watched this video from @Parker's reef and looks like I can get away with 2 500’s for what I’m looking for.

I can use the A360x’s that I currently have for the frag tank.

I spoke to John with AA and my sump and frag tank is shipping this week!

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the Spectrapure ATO’s, seems like a quality product. Hopefully I’ll have no issues pulling from my garage, that and I hope they work with siphon breaks. I had the HDPE and UHMW delivered, the UHMW is some heavy stuff!

Did another custom order for a 8020 light rack to hold the 4 Blueray Pro’s and 3 Kessil’s, wondering if it’s worth going from 3 A360x’s to 2 or 3 a500x’s?
Watched this video from @Parker's reef and looks like I can get away with 2 500’s for what I’m looking for.

I can use the A360x’s that I currently have for the frag tank.

I spoke to John with AA and my sump and frag tank is shipping this week!

Are you using Kessil for shimmer or additional PAR? I contacted Kessil about the difference between the two and they are identical other than their PAR output. The A360x is capable of 36"x36", but don't expect much PAR. I think your new lights will put plenty of PAR into the tank, so don't waste money on the A500x. If you ever need better coverage, do something like 2 actinic Reefbrite strips running the length of the tank.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using Kessil for shimmer or additional PAR? I contacted Kessil about the difference between the two and they are identical other than their PAR output. The A360x is capable of 36"x36", but don't expect much PAR. I think your new lights will put plenty of PAR into the tank, so don't waste money on the A500x. If you ever need better coverage, do something like 2 actinic Reefbrite strips running the length of the tank.
Shimmer, sun rise, and sunset. The Bluerays are even flatter than the Stratons

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shimmer, sun rise, and sunset. The Bluerays are even flatter than the Stratons
Definitely just go with the A360x. Do three in between the Bluerays if you can fit them. It should cover your whole tank. Worst case scenario, you could do 5 with the midsized reflectors... still cheaper and better coverage than 3 A400x. I don't think you could get away with 2 A500x without having a bad spotlight effect. Your tank is too long.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely just go with the A360x. Do three in between the Bluerays if you can fit them. It should cover your whole tank. Worst case scenario, you could do 5 with the midsized reflectors... still cheaper and better coverage than 3 A400x. I don't think you could get away with 2 A500x without having a bad spotlight effect. Your tank is too long.

Here is the lighting setup I plan to go with, I can fit a third no problem

4C46C908-673A-49A8-A492-F0976C9B5066.jpeg

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3rd A360x will work beautifully. I can't wait to see your review of this setup. I was sold on Kessil + Reef Brite strips for a long time, but your review of the Stratons was very convincing.
Here is the lighting setup I plan to go with, I can fit a third no problem

4C46C908-673A-49A8-A492-F0976C9B5066.jpeg

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3rd A360x will work beautifully. I can't wait to see your review of this setup. I was sold on Kessil + Reef Brite strips for a long time, but your review of the Stratons was very convincing.

We’ll see if I regret moving away from the Stratons together as I’ve never been happier with the growth and color of my coral. I have found the magic sweet spot for mounting height and % for growth with the Stratons. Best I can do is try and match the PAR and see how things go, worse case I can always put the Stratons back up after I get the one back from Dana

What settings do you run your Kessil's on?

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll see if I regret moving away from the Stratons together as I’ve never been happier with the growth and color of my coral. I have found the magic sweet spot for mounting height and % for growth with the Stratons. Best I can do is try and match the PAR and see how things go, worse case I can always put the Stratons back up after I get the one back from Dana

What settings do you run your Kessil's on?
What did you find to be the optimal mounting height? I actually don't own Kessils yet. I have been going to different reef shows and LFSs to see and test all the high end equipment in person. My wife and I are planning a 250G system, but we have twins due in December. I have a feeling that the next generation of lights and pumps will be out by the time we're settled down enough to build it. Lol.

The Kessils are great because you max out the blue spectrum and the add white to taste. Corals primarily utilize the blue spectrum for photosynthesis, so it doesn't matter how much PAR in the white spectrum is or isn't available. That's where PUR comes into play and why the Stratons are so great... lots of strength in blue.

I hope this all makes sense. I've done my best to make sense of the science available to use from people like Dana Riddle and Holmes-Farley. I'm in love with all aspects of the hobby and have loved the water since before I could walk. Last thing I want to do is to assist the echo chamber of bad advice.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you find to be the optimal mounting height? I actually don't own Kessils yet. I have been going to different reef shows and LFSs to see and test all the high end equipment in person. My wife and I are planning a 250G system, but we have twins due in December. I have a feeling that the next generation of lights and pumps will be out by the time we're settled down enough to build it. Lol.

The Kessils are great because you max out the blue spectrum and the add white to taste. Corals primarily utilize the blue spectrum for photosynthesis, so it doesn't matter how much PAR in the white spectrum is or isn't available. That's where PUR comes into play and why the Stratons are so great... lots of strength in blue.

I hope this all makes sense. I've done my best to make sense of the science available to use from people like Dana Riddle and Holmes-Farley. I'm in love with all aspects of the hobby and have loved the water since before I could walk. Last thing I want to do is to assist the echo chamber of bad advice.
Mind you my current 210 is only 21” tall, they are mounted 13” off on the tank at 85%. I also run 4 of them so coverage is great as it end to end
6C4E5AD6-B907-446C-A1ED-A0C6BEEC08FE.jpeg
31C9F871-8342-4A77-9678-3046958A3182.jpeg
8AEEEC2E-1B7A-49C3-8343-D1D946A08034.jpeg
6C043918-D79C-4E4A-AC28-0FF36F275E00.jpeg
163DE25E-96D4-4F6E-8E18-BCC8426FD1BF.jpeg
D7B4CEB6-2650-4C01-AC5D-61EE42025718.jpeg

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind you my current 210 is only 21” tall, they are mounted 13” off on the tank at 85%. I also run 4 of them so coverage is great as it end to end
6C4E5AD6-B907-446C-A1ED-A0C6BEEC08FE.jpeg
31C9F871-8342-4A77-9678-3046958A3182.jpeg
8AEEEC2E-1B7A-49C3-8343-D1D946A08034.jpeg
6C043918-D79C-4E4A-AC28-0FF36F275E00.jpeg
163DE25E-96D4-4F6E-8E18-BCC8426FD1BF.jpeg
D7B4CEB6-2650-4C01-AC5D-61EE42025718.jpeg
I loved how your SPS colored up. I have been debating between 2 or 3 Stratons for a 72"x30"x30" with either 2 or 3 Kessils for additional shimmer and spectrum. The Reef Brite pop is real, though...

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved how your SPS colored up. I have been debating between 2 or 3 Stratons for a 72"x30"x30" with either 2 or 3 Kessils for additional shimmer and spectrum. The Reef Brite pop is real, though...

I like reefbrites, I just don’t like the quality of product for the price. Mine were chipping and rusting so I got rid of them. I will see what the lighting looks like for PAR and coverage, if needed I’ll add Silvermoon Actinics. Hitting my budget for the tanks now so I’ll have to go to the CEO for additional funding (my wife)

Trying to avoid that….

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nothing wrong with taking it slow. Save your money to get exactly what you want and don’t settle.

What is a dream setup to one is completely different to another.

Keep me posted once you decide on the build, and congrats on the twins!

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with taking it slow. Save your money to get exactly what you want and don’t settle.

What is a dream setup to one is completely different to another.

Keep me posted once you decide on the build, and congrats on the twins!
Thank you! The dream is a 12' tank with a drop off. I already got the okay as long as I behave until the kids go to college ;)

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a 210 Planet Aquarium tank that was installed in May of 2020, the tank will need to be moved temporarily so I figured I might as well upgrade to the largest tank my wife would allow. The target for the tank will be around the end of October to early November.

The tank will be made by Glass Cages. @Joe Glass Cages has been nothing but outstanding to work with through the planning. I called him with one tank in mind and ended up with something completely different but none the less it has been a pleasure so far.

Specs-
Height84LX33WX25T 300 gallons
Glass OptionsLow-Iron-Front-and-Both-Sides
Euro-Bracing OptionsEuro Braced with 3/8 Low Iron without Trim and with Concealed Water Line
SiliconeBlack
Seam GuardsYes
Overflow StyleShadow V2 with 2 Holes Drilled
Vinyl OptionsBlack, Back
Black PadYes
Starboard BottomYes

Stand-
Stand will be a custom aluminum stand from Frametech, another outstanding company to work with. I still have to figure out who will do the skin.

Sump-
Ordered from Advanced Acrylics 60x24x16 PVCS154GR (Blue welds) with 3 - 1.5" bh drains, 2 - 3/4" bh return holes and 8 dosing lines in the dosing/reactor section. Added lid to the dosing section

All of the equipment listed is already owned that will be transferred-

Lighting-

Edit 9/2: Picked up 4 GNC Blue Ray Pros to try, I'll see what I like better for coverage.

4 Stratons, I love these lights and currently couldn't be happier with the growth and coloring of the SPS. I also just picked up a couple of Kessil A360X's to play with for shimmer, I may add a third if I decide to keep them. Chasing the lighting look found here-

Flow-
2 MP60's
4 MP40's
2 Gyre XF350 or Reefwave 45's, I currently have both of them on hand and am testing the Reefwaves right now.

Sump equipment-
2 Royal Exclusiv Speedy return pumps
Royal Exclusiv Bubble King 200
MP10 in the sump

Dosing-
Currently using 3 Neptune DOS's for 4 part and food. I recently purchased a Dosetronic that will handle 4 part that will not be installed until the new tank arrives. I also have a DOS in the garage for AWC.

Testing-
Currently using both the Trident and the Alkatronic, the Alkatronic was a recent purchase that I'm testing. Was off to a very rough start with it but has been working great other than being too noisy for my liking.

Control-
Currently have an Apex 2016 with 3 energy bars under the tank and a fourth smaller bar in the garage for the mixing and AWC station I'm closely watching @Billldg thread on the transfer to GHL. I will not use the KH director but I'm still concerned over the Maxi dosers not being available yet for AWC or ATO from my garage. I really want to move away from Apex but it needs to meet all of my needs right away or I'm not willing to make the switch.

AWC, ATO, Mixing tank setup-
76b77b58-4e89-417e-be3b-8f9b85be5072-jpeg.2076995
4b78796c-28f4-4af6-89ae-02d2be0bfafc-jpeg.2076996

RODI setup-
I have 270+ TDS water with chloramines, water is absolutely horrible. I use a 1-micron sediment filter -> 5 carbon blocks -> 2 Chloramine Monsters -> 2 75 GPD Membranes ->6 stages of DI. Booster pump is set to 90 PSI.

210 Planet build that this tank will be replacing-

Joe at Glass Cages is phenomenal!

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping was paid for today! Just waiting for @Joe Glass Cages to call with the good news ! They have been great to work with!
I'm going to rent a trailer and pick mine up. Hopefully next week or soon after!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back