OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rtparty @jda @sdreef @Bpb any idea on the coverage for width for the Giesemann Spectra? Looking if I should order 3 or 4 24" units instead of the 72" Spectra, especially because I'm looking to potentially go 40-48" wide on the next tank. I finally found a place that will fulfill orders in Europe without going through the Gieseman process.

This tank is 84x33x25, the new tank I'm looking at for the house will be 10'x40 or 48x25

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is up to you. This is SOOOOO personal.

For 84, I would do 2x 36" units. Keep a bit of space in between them and then on the ends.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rtparty @jda @sdreef @Bpb any idea on the coverage for width for the Giesemann Spectra? Looking if I should order 3 or 4 24" units instead of the 72" Spectra, especially because I'm looking to potentially go 40-48" wide on the next tank. I finally found a place that will fulfill orders in Europe without going through the Gieseman process.

This tank is 84x33x25, the new tank I'm looking at for the house will be 10'x40 or 48x25

Are you hoping to grow sps corals through that entire 40”+ depth or will there be lots of negative space up front and in back? If you’re wanting to utilize the entire footprint for high par, I’m afraid that’s a tall order for a single line of lights. Spectras anyway.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 foot tank spec'd that is 4 feet deep and 3 feet tall. I am planning on having 4x rock structures and I am only going to light directly over them. They are mostly on the diagonal, but they are 3 feet long, two at 4 feet and one at 6 feet. I am going to let the rest of the tank not be lit, but it will still get spillover light from the rest. The point above from Bpb is a good one, just light what you need and don't try and light the whole thing - if your corals and rock work are near the back, then move your light back and let the front have less. If you want to have corals in every square inch, they you have to light every square inch, but most with large tanks do not really do this.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you hoping to grow sps corals through that entire 40”+ depth or will there be lots of negative space up front and in back? If you’re wanting to utilize the entire footprint for high par, I’m afraid that’s a tall order for a single line of lights. Spectras anyway.

It's the width I'm concerned with being 40 or 48 wide, and I'll be using the same type of rock structure. I was thinking 3 24" units for this tank mounted perpendicular then when the new tank comes in I could just add 2 more.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is crazy. I have a 3 foot Spectra running right now. Oh well. Your plan of multiple 24" might be a good one.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@this is me has a build using a 72" spectra over a 72x 48 x 24" tank. A beautiful tank and will give you some practical visualization of the coverage of the spectra fixture over a wide tank.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 72” Spectra was nothing short of spectacular. I had it on my 72x48x24. It did a great job. However, 48” is very tough in any light fixture to light. I did have to strategically placed the corals so that the acros weren’t too close to the front to back sides. But then again, I don’t like to place anything too close to the glass. On a peninsula, I want at least 6” away from the sides. So the 48” was really only utilized up to 40” at best. I just place LPS there.
I’m using 5 Radion G5 right now to light up my current tank. The light itself is okay but I hate the electronics around it. Always connectivity issue with Mobius. It has started to really ticked me off lately. So much so, I have purchased a 72” Spectra and I’m about to swap back to MH/T5.
I got Luxcore 400W selectable ballasts. 250W Radiums and ATI blue plus and Geisemann Actinic T5 ready to go. My new tank is 84”x34”x28”. This will be perfect.
The only thing is, the 5 -Radions runs about 600W total. This Spectra is around 1200W. I run the 250W radiums at 300W.
D60561F9-45C9-4DE4-A394-990F45DFFED8.jpeg
73AAE4D8-0611-490F-88D5-FEDB0B38E9F8.jpeg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 72” Spectra was nothing short of spectacular. I had it on my 72x48x24. It did a great job. However, 48” is very tough in any light fixture to light. I did have to strategically placed the corals so that the acros weren’t too close to the front to back sides. But then again, I don’t like to place anything too close to the glass. On a peninsula, I want at least 6” away from the sides. So the 48” was really only utilized up to 40” at best. I just place LPS there.
I’m using 5 Radion G5 right now to light up my current tank. The light itself is okay but I hate the electronics around it. Always connectivity issue with Mobius. It has started to really ticked me off lately. So much so, I have purchased a 72” Spectra and I’m about to swap back to MH/T5.
I got Luxcore 400W selectable ballasts. 250W Radiums and ATI blue plus and Geisemann Actinic T5 ready to go. My new tank is 84”x34”x28”. This will be perfect.
The only thing is, the 5 -Radions runs about 600W total. This Spectra is around 1200W. I run the 250W radiums at 300W.

Man that fixture is a beaut.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you order one new? How long did it take you to receive it once ordered of so?

Thanks

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you order one new? How long did it take you to receive it once ordered of so?

Thanks
I could not find someone who has one in stock and would order one for me. I basically gave up on it. Then one day a local ads from a local member has the 72” spectra for sale including ballasts and bulbs. I jumped on it. He bought it to use on his planned tank that didn’t pan out.
I haven’t decided when to do the swap.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights were installed last week, so far I really like them with the Helius program, with the shimmer and color it’s a 14k look. ICP came back all good after a huge amount of water changes from the Tropic Marin salt to Aquaforest.

6A9E4E88-40AE-4CE1-9F85-B1F8E03F92B5.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights were installed last week, so far I really like them with the Helius program, with the shimmer and color it’s a 14k look. ICP came back all good after a huge amount of water changes from the Tropic Marin salt to Aquaforest.

Smokin!!!!

Smoking GIF by Farmer Wants A Wife

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lights look great!

I'm interested in your observations after changing salts. I've been using TM Pro and was using the salt from the turkish facility for a period of time. Currently using their salt from Germany, but I'm interested to know how your tank has responded.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights look great!

I'm interested in your observations after changing salts. I've been using TM Pro and was using the salt from the turkish facility for a period of time. Currently using their salt from Germany, but I'm interested to know how your tank has responded.

I can say that polyp extension and specifically my goni’s really started to open back up with every water change. I don’t think Aquaforest is as clean as TM from Germany but it also does not turn the filter sock in my mixing tank black. Aquaforest is a bit higher in iron but all within range.

I don’t think I’d switch if you have the Germany made salt but all I had was buckets of Turkey made. Even with a tank swap I knew something was off because I took all of the water from my 210 mixed with freshly made Turkey salt and had absolutely zero polyp extension. I could move one over to my 20 gallon frag and polyps would come out right away. I had very high levels of iron, manganese, and vanadium from somewhere in my first ever ICP test.

I can say I’m 90% confident my tenuis losses were to do with the salt, they would just strip over night. Once I started to change water it all stopped including a bit of frags showing STN. Oddly enough I had the same experience as others that my tenuis were the only ones getting hit hard, acros had little to no polyp extension but never showed signed of RTN or STN.

In summary I switched because something seemed really off, multiple people were having issues in the RMS group, and there were starting to be reports of losses from people I trust in the hobby. I have a lot of Aquaforest salt to go through so I’ll wait and see if TM recovers. I simply will not buy salt from TM if they plan to distribute it from Turkey.

Edit: BTW I’ll add I don’t believe TM for 1 minute it’s clay, the salt has a smell to it that’s not normal like a chemical. My lot number was 11157, if you have that lot DO NOT USE IT

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that polyp extension and specifically my goni’s really started to open back up with every water change. I don’t think Aquaforest is as clean as TM from Germany but it also does not turn the filter sock in my mixing tank black. Aquaforest is a bit higher in iron but all within range.

I don’t think I’d switch if you have the Germany made salt but all I had was buckets of Turkey made. Even with a tank swap I knew something was off because I took all of the water from my 210 mixed with freshly made Turkey salt and had absolutely zero polyp extension. I could move one over to my 20 gallon frag and polyps would come out right away. I had very high levels of iron, manganese, and vanadium from somewhere in my first ever ICP test.

I can say I’m 90% confident my tenuis losses were to do with the salt, they would just strip over night. Once I started to change water it all stopped including a bit of frags showing STN. Oddly enough I had the same experience as others that my tenuis were the only ones getting hit hard, acros had little to no polyp extension but never showed signed of RTN or STN.

In summary I switched because something seemed really off, multiple people were having issues in the RMS group, and there were starting to be reports of losses from people I trust in the hobby. I have a lot of Aquaforest salt to go through so I’ll wait and see if TM recovers. I simply will not buy salt from TM if they plan to distribute it from Turkey.

Edit: BTW I’ll add I don’t believe TM for 1 minute it’s clay, the salt has a smell to it that’s not normal like a chemical. My lot number was 11157, if you have that lot DO NOT USE IT
Same experience for me polyps literally gone, browned out acros with STN. I caught it early and oddly enough my Tenuis were some of the few that maintained polyp extension. Clay sounds like a generic, easy to digest, harmless term so I agree.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience for me polyps literally gone, browned out acros with STN. I caught it early and oddly enough my Tenuis were some of the few that maintained polyp extension. Clay sounds like a generic, easy to digest, harmless term so I agree.

I hate to say it but when they made the clay statement right then I knew we would never know the truth of it. I ended up providing TM everything they asked for and threw 2 buckets away.

Back