HYDROS: Aquarium Automation for EVERYONE

Which is a better fit for your tank: the Control 2 or Control 4?

• Total voters
OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Has there been any further talk of what the ballpark release will be? Like month? Also what will come in the package for dongles and such?
Sometime between March and June. As of now, the Control 2 is $199.99 and comes with a temperature sensor and a WiFi controllable 4-outlet power strip. The Control 4 comes with a temperature sensor and Power 4 WiFi Power Strip. You also get a pH probe and a single WiFi Smart Plug that measures the current and wattage being consumed (perfect for a heater).

Nhltc99

View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to respond. Your questions are veering into territory I am not at liberty to discuss at the moment since features and functionality are still being finalized. I apologize for being vague. We'll discuss these topics as a team this week to see if we can issue a more formal statement in response. Thank you for your patience!
Any update on what will happen if the power strips lose wifi connection?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm also wondering this, and any other more firm ballpark of release? Still struggling in control for my new 72 build. More I think about it the control 2 likely will do everything i want

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
If they lose connection, you will be immediately notified on you mobile device (even when no WiFi or Internet is available). Outlets will remain in the last state they were told to be in (if it were ON, it would stay ON).

We have a post on the HYDROS Facebook page about relability and setting up safeguards if you'd like to check it out:

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm also wondering this, and any other more firm ballpark of release? Still struggling in control for my new 72 build. More I think about it the control 2 likely will do everything i want
We are still planning to launch in the Spring! Staff members outside the core HYDROS team are beginning to receive test units. Soon we'll be sending controllers to our beta test team (folks outside the company). Everything is moving along nicely, no major hiccups!

Bear in mind what you see below are not production model enclosures. You can see a Control 2 and Control 4 my colleague received this week to start testing at home.

hydros control 2 hydros control 4.jpg

Here you can see he's got a couple of WaveEngines connected to the HYDROS app, along with an IceCap Dual Pump Controller, a Control 2, and a Control 4.

hydros app jeremy.jpg

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
We are still planning to launch in the Spring! Staff members outside the core HYDROS team are beginning to receive test units. Soon we'll be sending controllers to our beta test team (folks outside the company). Everything is moving along nicely, no major hiccups!

Bear in mind what you see below are not production model enclosures. You can see a Control 2 and Control 4 my colleague received this week to start testing at home.

hydros control 2 hydros control 4.jpg

Here you can see he's got a couple of WaveEngines connected to the HYDROS app, along with an IceCap Dual Pump Controller, a Control 2, and a Control 4.

hydros app jeremy.jpg
Looking good! Getting excited!!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Has there been any further talk of what the ballpark release will be? Like month? Also what will come in the package for dongles and such?
I just replied to your question in the other thread but I don't want to leave this one unanswered. :) We're still on target for a Spring release with the controllers. We'll have more HYDROS goodies coming not long after.

The Control 2 comes with a temperature sensor and a Power 4 WiFi Power Strip. The Control 4 comes with a temperature sensor, Power 4 WiFi Power Strip, WiFi Smart Plug, and a pH probe.

We're coming out with a little teaser for the Control 2 on Monday or Tuesday. Please sign up for our email newsletter if you haven't already done so. It will show some (but not all) of the accessories that will be available upon release of the controllers.

This teaser would have actually gone out yesterday if I hadn't been out sick the past few days. ;Facepalm

EDIT: Just realized I am replying to an old post in the same thread. Still not 100% over this illness. o_O

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just replied to your question in the other thread but I don't want to leave this one unanswered. :) We're still on target for a Spring release with the controllers. We'll have more HYDROS goodies coming not long after.

The Control 2 comes with a temperature sensor and a Power 4 WiFi Power Strip. The Control 4 comes with a temperature sensor, Power 4 WiFi Power Strip, WiFi Smart Plug, and a pH probe.

We're coming out with a little teaser for the Control 2 on Monday or Tuesday. Please sign up for our email newsletter if you haven't already done so. It will show some (but not all) of the accessories that will be available upon release of the controllers.

This teaser would have actually gone out yesterday if I hadn't been out sick the past few days. ;Facepalm

EDIT: Just realized I am replying to an old post in the same thread. Still not 100% over this illness. o_O
You do good work! Thanks sir!

Get healthy!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Last edited:

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm working on! I even had chicken noodle soup for lunch!

As long as you havent been sourcing parts in china or anything your good! :) Really looking forward to hydros. It really fits in my budget. i couldnt find tis anywhere, but its been a crazy week., the strips are surge protected right? Should one still use the inkbird heater controller to protect the outlet like one does on apex units?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
As long as you havent been sourcing parts in china or anything your good! :) Really looking forward to hydros. It really fits in my budget. i couldnt find tis anywhere, but its been a crazy week., the strips are surge protected right? Should one still use the inkbird heater controller to protect the outlet like one does on apex units?
I d not believe they are so you'll want to use your heater controller as you described. I believe we may even be upgrading these power strips before release but I don't think the new ones are surge protected, either.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I d not believe they are so you'll want to use your heater controller as you described. I believe we may even be upgrading these power strips before release but I don't think the new ones are surge protected, either.
Seems to be a trend in the business oddly. Not a huge deal. Makes sense a secondary temp probe too. Can't wait!

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Good to see someone giving Neptune some much needed competition. After they eliminated their budget friendly apex jr immediately after digital aquatics went belly up, I saw it as a cash grab and figured someone would come along with another sub 250 dollar option before too long. I think this will be a real motivator to provide better customer service and better pricing. Hope this product is a success and gives more reefers the opportunity to keep thier reefs alive!

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Good to see someone giving Neptune some much needed competition. After they eliminated their budget friendly apex jr immediately after digital aquatics went belly up, I saw it as a cash grab and figured someone would come along with another sub 250 dollar option before too long. I think this will be a real motivator to provide better customer service and better pricing. Hope this product is a success and gives more reefers the opportunity to keep thier reefs alive!
Amen! I could spend 150 on a used apex Jr, or like 300 on a control 2 and extra power bar, get better support, and customer service. I'm not in need of a ton of control, need to turn some things off, watch for leaks, and failsafe on a heater... Control 2 will work for my build better. Heck for power I could add additional ones and control my basement table equipment as the power strips are wireless.... Long term this just screams success!

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If they lose connection, you will be immediately notified on you mobile device (even when no WiFi or Internet is available). Outlets will remain in the last state they were told to be in (if it were ON, it would stay ON).

We have a post on the HYDROS Facebook page about relability and setting up safeguards if you'd like to check it out:

If I read right if communication fails it will stay in the state it is currently in. That would not be good if it was your ATO or water change outlets. Is there a way to default them to off when there is no communication. My current controller you can program the output to default to on or off. It would be nice if you could do either of the three on, off or resume current state on each output as needed.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If I read right if communication fails it will stay in the state it is currently in. That would not be good if it was your ATO or water change outlets. Is there a way to default them to off when there is no communication. My current controller you can program the output to default to on or off. It would be nice if you could do either of the three on, off or resume current state on each output as needed.
Yes. I agree. The ability to default custom would be nice.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there is no way to do that as the power strip does not have memory to revert to. The power strip will constantly ask the controller what status it should be. The controller then confirms the status. If the communication is lost, then the power strip will not know what to do as it is not getting the controller to tell it what to do. The power strip will remain in the current status.

The communication of the controller to the power strip is over WiFi but not over the Internet. This means that if you lose internet connection, the controller will still be able to communicate with the power strip. If the WiFi router goes down, then the communication will be lost.

The controller will have notifications that will allow it to let the customer know as soon as the communication between the controller and the power strip is lost.

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there is no way to do that as the power strip does not have memory to revert to. The power strip will constantly ask the controller what status it should be. The controller then confirms the status. If the communication is lost, then the power strip will not know what to do as it is not getting the controller to tell it what to do. The power strip will remain in the current status.

The communication of the controller to the power strip is over WiFi but not over the Internet. This means that if you lose internet connection, the controller will still be able to communicate with the power strip. If the WiFi router goes down, then the communication will be lost.

The controller will have notifications that will allow it to let the customer know as soon as the communication between the controller and the power strip is lost.
Thanks, I guess using them for ATO or auto water change is out unless I find some other way to disable them. I guess I could use one of the outputs on the controller and a relay to kill power to the power strip if there is a way in the controller to activate an output if communication is lost.

mike550

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess using them for ATO or auto water change is out unless I find some other way to disable them. I guess I could use one of the outputs on the controller and a relay to kill power to the power strip if there is a way in the controller to activate an output if communication is lost.
If you’re specifically worried about ATO could you simply make sure that the volume held in your ATO is small enough that even if the ATO pump or sensor failed that emptying your entire reservoir wouldn’t disrupt your tank?

For example I have a 120G tank and I fill my ATO around 3-4G. So “worst case” it’s like a 3% change in water. Guessing my parameters would barely move.

For AWC what’s the concern? Aren’t you just swapping “old” for “new”?

Do you think that slowing down the water through your sump benefits the chemistry of your tank?

• Yes (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 70 18.5%
  • No (why do you think that?)

Votes: 92 24.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 208 54.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors