HYDROS: Aquarium Automation for EVERYONE

Which is a better fit for your tank: the Control 2 or Control 4?

• Total voters

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If you’re specifically worried about ATO could you simply make sure that the volume held in your ATO is small enough that even if the ATO pump or sensor failed that emptying your entire reservoir wouldn’t disrupt your tank?

For example I have a 120G tank and I fill my ATO around 3-4G. So “worst case” it’s like a 3% change in water. Guessing my parameters would barely move.

For AWC what’s the concern? Aren’t you just swapping “old” for “new”?
I have a 5 gallon ATO on mine, and my sump is on the smaller size. If be more concerned with a overflow in the sump first.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there is no way to do that as the power strip does not have memory to revert to. The power strip will constantly ask the controller what status it should be. The controller then confirms the status. If the communication is lost, then the power strip will not know what to do as it is not getting the controller to tell it what to do. The power strip will remain in the current status.

The communication of the controller to the power strip is over WiFi but not over the Internet. This means that if you lose internet connection, the controller will still be able to communicate with the power strip. If the WiFi router goes down, then the communication will be lost.

The controller will have notifications that will allow it to let the customer know as soon as the communication between the controller and the power strip is lost.
Are there any plans for a hard wired version of the power strips. Wifi is notoriously flaky and I would not feel comfortable using any wifi based data transmission for anything critical on my tank.

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The pumps are in the garage with the storage tanks. I use peristaltic pumps to do the ato and water change. The tank is 42 gallons but I also have a 110 gallon I plan on setting up. The DI storage and Fresh saltwater storage are 20 gallon brute trash cans. On the water change one pump pumps to the house drain and one from the fresh saltwater storage to the sump. The auto water change would not be a problem until it empties the storage tank. The drain pump would continue to run and drain the sump. Question is there a way for each controller to know if it looses comunication with the others and take an action? Also does you controller comunicate with any of the peristaltic pumps that are out there? Sorry for asking all these strange questions.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The pumps are in the garage with the storage tanks. I use peristaltic pumps to do the ato and water change. The tank is 42 gallons but I also have a 110 gallon I plan on setting up. The DI storage and Fresh saltwater storage are 20 gallon brute trash cans. On the water change one pump pumps to the house drain and one from the fresh saltwater storage to the sump. The auto water change would not be a problem until it empties the storage tank. The drain pump would continue to run and drain the sump. Question is there a way for each controller to know if it looses comunication with the others and take an action? Also does you controller comunicate with any of the peristaltic pumps that are out there? Sorry for asking all these strange questions.
I like that idea actually... As wifi can definitely be wonky. Interference is a big deal. As an IT guy by day..I go wired wherever I can.

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I like that idea actually... As wifi can definitely be wonky. Interference is a big deal. As an IT guy by day..I go wired wherever I can.
Even wired can fail. That is why I like the idea of defaults for outputs. The controller I have has lost communication with the modules before. At this time I have everything defaulted off with the exception of my return pump and my 2 MP10's. I don't trust the other items if controller comunication is lost. Even the skimmer is turned off. I have had that overflow more than once so I don't trust it if there is no control.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Even wired can fail. That is why I like the idea of defaults for outputs. The controller I have has lost communication with the modules before. At this time I have everything defaulted off with the exception of my return pump and my 2 MP10's. I don't trust the other items if controller comunication is lost. Even the skimmer is turned off. I have had that overflow more than once so I don't trust it if there is no control.
I like that. I'd likely do the same. Everything except the return could wait until I get home to manually turn back on, or call my daughter to find out exactly what is going on... I was really looking to do a control 2 or 4, but that ability is changing my mind I think....

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I like that. I'd likely do the same. Everything except the return could wait until I get home to manually turn back on, or call my daughter to find out exactly what is going on... I was really looking to do a control 2 or 4, but that ability is changing my mind I think....
I would not rule one of those out yet. There may be a way to accomplish that another way.

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't know yet, but I am going to give it a try. I have figured out ways to do things on the controller I have that are complex. Like if my DI storage drops below the empty sensor the DI fill solenoid has to turn on. Also the RODI on solenoid has to turn on but it also has to turn on for 10 minutes every hour to refill the RO bladder. Also the same has to play out on the salt water mixing tank to refill it with DI after it is emptied into the salt water storage tank. The storage tank is refilled from the mixing tank if it is ready once the storage tank is empty. This is all automated. I just have to add the salt once the mix tank refills. Once it is mixed correctly I just press a button to let the controller know it is ready to go. I have 3 20 gallon brute trash cans on rollers that I use for the three storage tanks. The problem with the controller I have now is it is no longer manufactured and no longer has factory support. I have some spare parts. but I am hoping to find a replacement for it before there is an issue where I have to replace it in a rush.

Last edited:

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't know yet, but I am going to give it a try. I have figured out ways to do things on the controller I have that are complex. Like if my DI storage drops below the empty sensor the DI fill solenoid has to turn on. Also the RODI on solenoid has to turn on but it also has to turn on for 10 minutes every hour to refill the RO bladder. Also the same has to play out on the salt water mixing tank to refill it with DI after it is emptied into the salt water storage tank. The storage tank is refilled from the mixing tank if it is ready once the storage tank is empty. This is all automated. I just have to add the salt once the mix tank refills. Once it is mixed correctly I just press a button to let the controller know it is ready to go. I have 3 20 gallon brute trash cans on rollers that I use for the three storage tanks. The problem with the controller I have now is it is no longer manufactured and no longer has factory support. I have some spare parts. but I am hoping to find a replacement for it before there is an issue where I have to replace it in a rush.
See for me, i dont need that level. I mostly am after a few alerts, turning things on and off for maintenance and such. Its come down to this guy, and a used apex.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Will this work with the Maxspect Turbine Duo 9k?

Any future plans to expand to other pumps/powerheads in the future?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Are there any plans for a hard wired version of the power strips. Wifi is notoriously flaky and I would not feel comfortable using any wifi based data transmission for anything critical on my tank.
We have a lot of really neat HYDROS products and accessories in the pipeline. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to talk about most of them! Now, I could have just replied that "there are no plans" for what you're asking for. So read between the lines so I don't have to disclose anything that will get me in trouble. ;)

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
If one controller goes down, you will be notified. If you had another controller, say, in your garage and it went down, you would also be notified.

As far as communicating with peristaltic pumps, is there a particular model or brand you would like HYDROS to communicate with? If a pump has WiFI and a way to talk to it, we can speak to the manufacturer to see if they'd be willing to work with us to make it happen.

I really want to share more with you, but we're veering into territory I'm not really allowed to talk about. Suffice to say that automatic dosing, auto water changes, and things of that nature are of great interest to hobbyists and therefore of great interest to us.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
We have a lot of really neat HYDROS products and accessories in the pipeline. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to talk about most of them! Now, I could have just replied that "there are no plans" for what you're asking for. So read between the lines so I don't have to disclose anything that will get me in trouble. ;)
Fair enough. I'll definitely be looking out for news on that topic.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Will this work with the Maxspect Turbine Duo 9k?

Any future plans to expand to other pumps/powerheads in the future?
The Maxspect Turbine Duo pump is on our WaveEngine roadmap for future compatibility.

There are indeed plans to expand to other pumps in the future. We are in talks with other pump companies. Which would you like to see work with the WaveEngine?

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The Maxspect Turbine Duo pump is on our WaveEngine roadmap for future compatibility.

There are indeed plans to expand to other pumps in the future. We are in talks with other pump companies. Which would you like to see work with the WaveEngine?
Thanks for the response!

The comment was made earlier when I was making a purchase for my current build. I chose to go forth with the Maxspect Turbine Duo and Maxspect Gyre XF330 Bundle. I was on the verge of buying the Hydros Wave Engine but i noticed the controller version in this thread so I will just wait; it seems more logical to just buy the controller version.

Some pumps you could add would include Nero 5, and various other DC skimmer pumps for complete control via the Wave Engine.

Will there be some kind of trade-up program for current owners of the Hydros Wave Engine that is looking to take advantage of the Hydros Controller 2/4?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

What about the reefbreeders stuff? They have a Nero 5 clone as well as others. I'll likely be going that way, as AI doesn't have a battery backup option.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

The comment was made earlier when I was making a purchase for my current build. I chose to go forth with the Maxspect Turbine Duo and Maxspect Gyre XF330 Bundle. I was on the verge of buying the Hydros Wave Engine but i noticed the controller version in this thread so I will just wait; it seems more logical to just buy the controller version.

Some pumps you could add would include Nero 5, and various other DC skimmer pumps for complete control via the Wave Engine.

Will there be some kind of trade-up program for current owners of the Hydros Wave Engine that is looking to take advantage of the Hydros Controller 2/4?
We like this idea of offering a discount on a controller if you buy a WaveEngine. I think we can put this into action! Stay tuned!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
What about the reefbreeders stuff? They have a Nero 5 clone as well as others. I'll likely be going that way, as AI doesn't have a battery backup option.
I added this suggestion to our virtual HYDROS bulletin board for posterity.

Do you think that slowing down the water through your sump benefits the chemistry of your tank?

• Yes (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 70 18.9%
  • No (why do you think that?)

Votes: 90 24.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 202 54.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors