HYDROS: Aquarium Automation for EVERYONE

Which is a better fit for your tank: the Control 2 or Control 4?

• Total voters
OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
You really are amazing! I cant say that enough! i feel like by the end of all of this, we can call the Hydros, the peoples controller.
Hopefully, as the line takes off we can dedicate more resources to the project. There are many things being worked on simultaneously, but some have to "wait in line," so to speak, so that bigger picture goals and deadlines are met.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hopefully, as the line takes off we can dedicate more resources to the project. There are many things being worked on simultaneously, but some have to "wait in line," so to speak, so that bigger picture goals and deadlines are met.
Makes total sense. I can't wait to see what happens here! I'm trying to build out the " right the first time" tank, so taking my time etc. I really like alot of what I'm hearing and seeing from the hydros controls. A few things here and there that I'm hoping for other options, but for the price point... Beats all others in the market.

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If one controller goes down, you will be notified. If you had another controller, say, in your garage and it went down, you would also be notified.

As far as communicating with peristaltic pumps, is there a particular model or brand you would like HYDROS to communicate with? If a pump has WiFI and a way to talk to it, we can speak to the manufacturer to see if they'd be willing to work with us to make it happen.

I really want to share more with you, but we're veering into territory I'm not really allowed to talk about. Suffice to say that automatic dosing, auto water changes, and things of that nature are of great interest to hobbyists and therefore of great interest to us.
I understand about not releasing some information until the controller is out in the market. I am willing to wait, no problem. I have not looked at a specific brand or model of pump yet. The ones I have now are specific to the controller I have and I will have to replace them when I stop using that controller completely. In the meantime I will continue to use them. I plan on converting a few things at a time over time instead of all at once. That will give me a chance to learn as I go.

CaymanR

View Badges
Reaction score
@[email protected] Ok so I have a Various S2 return (1-10V port and listed as Hydros WAVE combat) and 2x Icecap 2k Gyres.

What is the best way to implement a Feed mode with this system? Can the Hydros Control 4 do this with its 1-10V port? It would seem like the WAVE isn't really necessary for me - it would just reduce my power brick for the Varios.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
These look amazing.

Couple questions about going with a WiFi power strip. After power failure what state does it restore to? Can you tie the power strip into the logic with the controller? So if temp is this turn off that? Also what is the amperage of the plugs? Will they support a light?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
@[email protected] Ok so I have a Various S2 return (1-10V port and listed as Hydros WAVE combat) and 2x Icecap 2k Gyres.

What is the best way to implement a Feed mode with this system? Can the Hydros Control 4 do this with its 1-10V port? It would seem like the WAVE isn't really necessary for me - it would just reduce my power brick for the Varios.
The VarioS-2 and Gyres are all direct drive compatible. You could get rid of the external controllers and power bricks for those and plug them all into a WaveEngine if you wanted to.

The way to trigger feed mode on the WaveEngine is the same as your 2K gyres. There is Mode link on the status screen in the HYDROS app. If you click it, you can select Feed Mode. If you want to modify the feed mode, we made a video about that a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link.

Capture.PNG

CaymanR

View Badges
Reaction score
Understood. I know how to enter Feed mode on the app (feedback - put it on the home screen PLEASE! Too many taps to feed the fish 3 times a day!) but I was hoping feed mode could turn off my return pump once connected via wave or control. One button for all 3. Understand I can do that with the wave machine, but $300 just for that ability... is steep. Hoping I could do it with the control 4 That has 1-10v I plan on buying.

And again on the feedback about the Hydros app. It’s not a clean and simple Ui/UX as I had high hopes for. Initial setup was clunky. It’s not intuitive. Like I was saying... I need to be able to one tap feed mode. Right now when I open the app I’d defaults to no devices found, I have to retry, tap mode, then select feed. Sadly, if improvements aren’t made, I can see how the entire hydros line could fail to catch on.

Many a great hardware company has failed hard because they can’t ship great software. Realize this is 1.0, hoping my feedback gets to the right hands.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Understood. I know how to enter Feed mode on the app (feedback - put it on the home screen PLEASE! Too many taps to feed the fish 3 times a day!) but I was hoping feed mode could turn off my return pump once connected via wave or control. One button for all 3. Understand I can do that with the wave machine, but $300 just for that ability... is steep. Hoping I could do it with the control 4 That has 1-10v I plan on buying.

And again on the feedback about the Hydros app. It’s not a clean and simple Ui/UX as I had high hopes for. Initial setup was clunky. It’s not intuitive. Like I was saying... I need to be able to one tap feed mode. Right now when I open the app I’d defaults to no devices found, I have to retry, tap mode, then select feed. Sadly, if improvements aren’t made, I can see how the entire hydros line could fail to catch on.

Many a great hardware company has failed hard because they can’t ship great software. Realize this is 1.0, hoping my feedback gets to the right hands.
Widgets that one can add to their phone's homescreen would be a great way to get around this.

CaymanR

View Badges
Reaction score
If there was simply a hardware feed button on the icecap controller this would all be moot. Why on earth they did not put a button on the controller.... so frustrating. Would have cost 10 cents on the bill if materials. Instead I have to have my phone? These are my first ice cap brand our shoes, two 2ks and I was hoping for a control 4. The products appeared great on paper and priced well. But I’m not as enthused with them in my hands now. Give us a great app or give us a hardware feed button.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score

This is all really valuable feedback. I apologize for taking an eternity to respond. I truly am. I feel more embarrassed because I've come back and re-read your posts probably 15 times before doing so again today. I don't know if I was experiencing forum post paralysis or what, but I do know that your comment below about a manual Feed Mode button on the IceCap Dual Pump WiFi Controller sent me on a quest to find a solution because I just knew it had to be possible. I had tunnel vision and all I could see was me coming back here with an answer that would surprise and delight you. We'll return to the topic of the Dual Pump Controller in a moment (under your other post), but first...

... reading your post today with fresh eyes actually opened my eyes. I didn't even respond to your original question, which was:

Got it. You don't want a WaveEngine if the Control 4 can trigger Feed Mode on your VarioS return pump through the 0-10V port. And the answer to that is yes, it can do that. Furthermore, a manual push-button switch could be plugged into a Sense Port on the controller to start Feed Mode. You could even use a manual switch with the 0-10V port to trigger Feed Mode because there is some power feed supplied to it by the Control 4.

Let's return to the HYDROS app. I agree with everything you said, brother. Initial setup is a lot easier for people who've purchased the Dual Pump Controller since you did. It was feedback from you and others that made us change the setup process to use Bluetooth. I know one-tap feed mode isn't there yet, but have the other issues you were experiencing been resolved in subsequent updates to the app? I'm not an engineer nor do I work in our support department (marketer/web/copywriter), so I'll be honest and tell you I struggled myself when I tried setting the controller up for the first time.

The HYDROS platform is never going to be complete. It's always going to be evolving. In the short term, we are 100% focused on making the making sure the hardware, software, and accessories work properly and reliably. We added additional hardware that will enable features we haven't talked about anywhere because the controllers may not launch with them. But I promise you, it's stuff you'll use often and in ways other controllers do not. In the long-term, we want the platform to be intuitive, more graphical and icon-based. We intended to hire a software engineer when the time is right to create a richer experience in every way.

Widgets that one can add to their phone's homescreen would be a great way to get around this.
Great idea!

If there was simply a hardware feed button on the icecap controller this would all be moot. Why on earth they did not put a button on the controller.... so frustrating. Would have cost 10 cents on the bill if materials. Instead I have to have my phone? These are my first ice cap brand our shoes, two 2ks and I was hoping for a control 4. The products appeared great on paper and priced well. But I’m not as enthused with them in my hands now. Give us a great app or give us a hardware feed button.
Accessory buttons were always a part of the plan for the HYDROS controllers. You'll be able to add a bunch. But my hunch was correct that you can also add a manual feed button to the IceCap controller with the 0-10V port. I even got a guy who can do that for you if you want. Here is his website. He's also a member here: @TheHarold. We will send Harry a pump, controller, and 0-10V cable so he can create a custom solution for you... which may end up helping others. We'll update the firmware and you could have the button you desire.

I would like to talk to you about possibly joining us as a beta tester. Send me an email if you're interested: [email protected].

CaymanR

View Badges
Reaction score
This is all really valuable feedback. I apologize for taking an eternity to respond. I truly am. I feel more embarrassed because I've come back and re-read your posts probably 15 times before doing so again today. I don't know if I was experiencing forum post paralysis or what, but I do know that your comment below about a manual Feed Mode button on the IceCap Dual Pump WiFi Controller sent me on a quest to find a solution because I just knew it had to be possible. I had tunnel vision and all I could see was me coming back here with an answer that would surprise and delight you. We'll return to the topic of the Dual Pump Controller in a moment (under your other post), but first...

... reading your post today with fresh eyes actually opened my eyes. I didn't even respond to your original question, which was:

Got it. You don't want a WaveEngine if the Control 4 can trigger Feed Mode on your VarioS return pump through the 0-10V port. And the answer to that is yes, it can do that. Furthermore, a manual push-button switch could be plugged into a Sense Port on the controller to start Feed Mode. You could even use a manual switch with the 0-10V port to trigger Feed Mode because there is some power feed supplied to it by the Control 4.

Let's return to the HYDROS app. I agree with everything you said, brother. Initial setup is a lot easier for people who've purchased the Dual Pump Controller since you did. It was feedback from you and others that made us change the setup process to use Bluetooth. I know one-tap feed mode isn't there yet, but have the other issues you were experiencing been resolved in subsequent updates to the app? I'm not an engineer nor do I work in our support department (marketer/web/copywriter), so I'll be honest and tell you I struggled myself when I tried setting the controller up for the first time.

The HYDROS platform is never going to be complete. It's always going to be evolving. In the short term, we are 100% focused on making the making sure the hardware, software, and accessories work properly and reliably. We added additional hardware that will enable features we haven't talked about anywhere because the controllers may not launch with them. But I promise you, it's stuff you'll use often and in ways other controllers do not. In the long-term, we want the platform to be intuitive, more graphical and icon-based. We intended to hire a software engineer when the time is right to create a richer experience in every way.

Great idea!

Accessory buttons were always a part of the plan for the HYDROS controllers. You'll be able to add a bunch. But my hunch was correct that you can also add a manual feed button to the IceCap controller with the 0-10V port. I even got a guy who can do that for you if you want. Here is his website. He's also a member here: @TheHarold. We will send Harry a pump, controller, and 0-10V cable so he can create a custom solution for you... which may end up helping others. We'll update the firmware and you could have the button you desire.

I would like to talk to you about possibly joining us as a beta tester. Send me an email if you're interested: [email protected].
Thanks for this Jeff. Yes, a physical button would be great. My SO has to bug me every time she wants to feed the fish because it can only enter feed mode by my phone. Or could I use the "pause" button on the S2 to tell the icecap controller to also pause (via the 0-10V both have?). I don't know enough about the 0-10V system, but I am an electrical engineer and happy to beta test. I've send you an email.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for this Jeff. Yes, a physical button would be great. My SO has to bug me every time she wants to feed the fish because it can only enter feed mode by my phone. Or could I use the "pause" button on the S2 to tell the icecap controller to also pause (via the 0-10V both have?). I don't know enough about the 0-10V system, but I am an electrical engineer and happy to beta test. I've send you an email.
I got your message and replied. Contact Harry so he can build that button for you. He's a wiz with that 0-10V port!

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question on 0-10v inputs could you add more than one momentary switch to that input with a resistor ladder? Each swirch would get a different voltage if pressed. could you use each switch for a different or related purpose?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Question on 0-10v inputs could you add more than one momentary switch to that input with a resistor ladder? Each swirch would get a different voltage if pressed. could you use each switch for a different or related purpose?
For the HYDROS Controller or the IceCap Controller?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Hydros controller.
Yes, with a small reservation.

The resistor ladder idea would certainly work. As long as we see different voltages we don't care how they were generated.

However, there may be functions that you want that are not supported by the firmware to be triggerable from 0-10V.

In that case, a feature request would need to be submitted for a subsequent firmware update. But for many things, it would just work!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Maybe your SO can download the HYDROS app to her device, too! Or do we not want her to wield that kind of power? ;)

I have many morning to-dos today, but I look forward to continuing our other conversation later this afternoon!

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, with a small reservation.

The resistor ladder idea would certainly work. As long as we see different voltages we don't care how they were generated.

However, there may be functions that you want that are not supported by the firmware to be triggerable from 0-10V.

In that case, a feature request would need to be submitted for a subsequent firmware update. But for many things, it would just work!
Thanks for the info. I am planning to have just 2 float switches per storage tank, but also want a way to tell if the tank is connected to the system and ok to use. I am hoping that there is a way to disable functions if the tank is disconnected from the system. Such functions as autofill and dispense from the tank. I have three tanks like this currently. One is DI storage, one is fresh saltwater storage and a saltwater mixing tank. The DI and saltwater mixing tanks have a autofill function when they become empty.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am planning to have just 2 float switches per storage tank, but also want a way to tell if the tank is connected to the system and ok to use. I am hoping that there is a way to disable functions if the tank is disconnected from the system. Such functions as autofill and dispense from the tank. I have three tanks like this currently. One is DI storage, one is fresh saltwater storage and a saltwater mixing tank. The DI and saltwater mixing tanks have a autofill function when they become empty.
I'm not sure what the most efficient way to pull this off is, so I asked our engineer, Don. I asked which combination of devices and accessories he would use to set up a system like you've described for himself. He's probably off for the day, but I suspect I'll have a suggested approach by Monday.

n2585722

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the most efficient way to pull this off is, so I asked our engineer, Don. I asked which combination of devices and accessories he would use to set up a system like you've described for himself. He's probably off for the day, but I suspect I'll have a suggested approach by Monday.
Thanks, I have this setup on my Archon to do this. I want to eventually replace the Archon. I was planning to do this in stages starting with the items in the garage.

Do you think that slowing down the water through your sump benefits the chemistry of your tank?

• Yes (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 70 18.6%
  • No (why do you think that?)

Votes: 92 24.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 206 54.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Use pumps from different brands TOGETHER!