Hydros Owners: how happy are you long term?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s right, I forgot. It worked, back to normal. Any clue why that happened? Seems odd that would happen. Other than that, works as advertised. Thanks for the help.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s right, I forgot. It worked, back to normal. Any clue why that happened? Seems odd that would happen. Other than that, works as advertised. Thanks for the help.

I explained what I think caused my similar issue earlier. I believe it's a router/internet connection issue; either a brief power loss to the router or a drop in the connection between the router and the internet.

I would raise a ticket for it, but I can't face going through the process of proving it's not my fault before I'm offered any help.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I read response. Thank you for the response. I raised the ticket since it is a replacement for the original. It hasn’t disconnected before. It shouldn’t have a problem reconnecting, my opinion of course. Other than the original x4 problem and this glitch I wouldn’t hesitate on purchasing this setup again.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't use one of the power packs that connect directly to a command buss port do you? If so remove it if you have the XP8 connected to the buss of the X4 with a command buss cable. Other than that not sure what could have caused it. I have not had that happen. I do have 9 controllers in a collective so one doing that I would get an alert so I could take action if it did.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't use one of the power packs that connect directly to a command buss port do you? If so remove it if you have the XP8 connected to the buss of the X4 with a command buss cable. Other than that not sure what could have caused it. I have not had that happen. I do have 9 controllers in a collective so one doing that I would get an alert so I could take action if it did.
No, only the Xp8 is plugged in. Power pack from x4 was removed when I received the Xp8.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, only the Xp8 is plugged in. Power pack from x4 was removed when I received the Xp8.
Just making sure. Sounds good. I have the internet drop out multiple times a day and it has not caused this to happen, but under the right circumstances it could have triggered it.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm gonna see what CoralVue says tomorrow but I can say for certain I am not happy with Hydros at this point. Nothing but problems with my new system. Couple of them were my fault but others are from poor hardware and/or software.

For all the talk about Apex making poor hardware, I've never had a piece of Apex equipment fail on me. A lot of it is 7 years old now. I've already had a DOA wifi power bar and now it looks like a broken XP8 less than 2 weeks into use. Not to mention the Hydros system has serious issues with metal halide ballasts and pH readings. Apex doesn't have this same issue.

I had planned to run my new tank with both Apex and Hydros but Hydros is becoming a serious letdown as each day passes. Which sucks because setup is so much easier and quicker.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna see what CoralVue says tomorrow but I can say for certain I am not happy with Hydros at this point. Nothing but problems with my new system. Couple of them were my fault but others are from poor hardware and/or software.

For all the talk about Apex making poor hardware, I've never had a piece of Apex equipment fail on me. A lot of it is 7 years old now. I've already had a DOA wifi power bar and now it looks like a broken XP8 less than 2 weeks into use. Not to mention the Hydros system has serious issues with metal halide ballasts and pH readings. Apex doesn't have this same issue.

I had planned to run my new tank with both Apex and Hydros but Hydros is becoming a serious letdown as each day passes. Which sucks because setup is so much easier and quicker.
What happened to your XP8? I’ve had mine about 3 weeks now and love it…

Once, it didn’t turn one of the two lights out on schedule (all the programming was right) but after a system reset it worked fine and hasn’t given me any trouble since.

I just have the controller direct connected to my xp8, not using any of those cheap looking Wi-Fi outlets, knew I’d hate those.

do you have terminators on the remaining/unused command plugs?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What happened to your XP8? I’ve had mine about 3 weeks now and love it…

Once, it didn’t turn one of the two lights out on schedule (all the programming was right) but after a system reset it worked fine and hasn’t given me any trouble since.

I just have the controller direct connected to my xp8, not using any of those cheap looking Wi-Fi outlets, knew I’d hate those.

do you have terminators on the remaining/unused command plugs?

Stuck relay is my best guess as of right now.

Checked on the tank before bed and my halide was still on 3.5 hours after it should turn off. Tried to override it manually and nothing. Deleted the output and made a new output to see if something went haywire with the schedule. Nothing.

If I manually switch it to on, I hear a very quiet click. Not the normal click with authority. If I set it to auto or off, it doesn't click at all.

I had to unplug the ballast from the outlet to get it to shut off.

I have the XP8 connected to the X4 with terminators on both. It's been running fine until last night.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s wrong with the PH reading? I’ve double checked mine with a Hanna handheld and they read the same. I haven’t calibrated it either, just straight into the sump.
I was a previous Apex owner for years, I Had the 2016 model and the one before that. A lot of add-ons.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I went without a controller for awhile. My smart ATO died after 7 yrs. This led me to Hydros. The Xp8 worked as it should, took over when x4 went offline. The white light indicating main also showed up on XP8.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Checked on the tank before bed and my halide was still on 3.5 hours after it should turn off. Tried to override it manually and nothing. Deleted the output and made a new output to see if something went haywire with the schedule. Nothing.

If I manually switch it to on, I hear a very quiet click. Not the normal click with authority. If I set it to auto or off, it doesn't click at all.

I have the XP8 connected to the X4 with terminators on both. It's been running fine until last night.
Have you powered down the collective and powered it back up? Also what do the LED's indicate for that output. If it is on it should be green, if off it should be blue. There are also some error colors for current and such. If the LED switches from green to blue and you still have power I would get with CoralVue.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you powered down the collective and powered it back up? Also what do the LED's indicate for that output. If it is on it should be green, if off it should be blue. There are also some error colors for current and such. If the LED switches from green to blue and you still have power I would get with CoralVue.

CV has already sent a replacement. Carlos thinks the relay is broken. The metal halide might be a culprit but we can't say that for sure. They want my current XP8 back so they can look at it and see what happened.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CV has already sent a replacement. Carlos thinks the relay is broken. The metal halide might be a culprit but we can't say that for sure. They want my current XP8 back so they can look at it and see what happened.
They’re quick. Same with my original x4, they try to get to the issue.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds similar to my issues with the relay not switching, though a simple reset did it for me. Hopefully its a one-off and not a defective part :grimacing-face:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds similar to my issues with the relay not switching, though a simple reset did it for me. Hopefully its a one-off and not a defective part :grimacing-face:

So I got home last night, plugged my halide back in so it could run for a few hours, and when I came back down to turn it off, the plug had turned off and was working normally again...

CV is unsure what happened but said to still replace it with the brand new one they sent and they are going inspect my current XP8 to see if anything was damaged.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same here I ran Apex and most of their stuff and never give me any headache. I am very happy with it. On the other side, I use Hydros controlling the icecap gyre, 2 lost of connection from Hydros to Wifi in a month already.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back