Hydros Owners: how happy are you long term?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
friggin smartphone autocorrect… *how happy are you long term?

4B827142-387B-494A-9C42-333AEC607E5E.gif

I’m seriously debating a Hydros on my new 68g, especially now that they have a higher end power strip coming out (https://www.coralvuehydros.com/control/control-xp8/)

how happy have you early hydros adopters been with the ecosystem? Specifically in terms of component quality/ease of program/reliability?

im either gonna go the Coralvue route or GHL (not a big fan of Neptune). Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with an X4 right after they came out. I now have 8 of them in a collective. I came from the Digital Aquatics. I was able to do everything I was doing with the Digital Aquatics and more. It currently controls the tank, storage tanks and RODI. I have three storage tanks in the garage. It auto refills all three. One is DI for ATO and anything else I might a use for DI water since there is a dispense pump on that tank also. I have a fresh saltwater storage tank that is used mainly for AWC. It also has a dispense pump in it to dispense to containers for other uses. There is a mix tank. It is automatically refilled once it becomes empty. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when it is ready for use. When the fresh saltwater tank goes low the controller will transfer the water from the mix tank to the fresh saltwater tank if the mix tank is ready to use. Once transferred it refills the mix tank with DI from the RODI. I was already doing this with the Archon I had. I just had to figure out the setup on the Hydros to accomplish it. Once you figure out how to use the generic output and the combiner output setup you will be set. The generic output accepts only inputs and the Combiner only accepts other outputs for inputs. It has output types for most of the things you will want to control such as pumps, lights, heaters, chillers and reactors. There is always the generic output which can also do all of the ones listed as well. So far I am very happy with it. I was also able to beta test the XP8 for them. I never had an issue with it for the months I had it. The production units also have power monitors on all 8 outputs. You can set a low and a high power limit for an output and get an alert if it is out of range. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Last edited:

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the price I am happy. I had an apex and I like the user interface way more on the hydros. I haven’t had any issues until now we’re I have to unplug my powerbar because it says not responding. It’s never happened but it’s happened twice in one month. Other than that I would recommend. I have the ATO, skimmer sensor and all of the probes

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price I am happy. I had an apex and I like the user interface way more on the hydros. I haven’t had any issues until now we’re I have to unplug my powerbar because it says not responding. It’s never happened but it’s happened twice in one month. Other than that I would recommend. I have the ATO, skimmer sensor and all of the probes
They normally reconnect in a minute or two without unplugging them when this happens. This can happen when trying to use them on a mesh type wifi network. Make sure the 2.4ghz band is separated form 5ghz band with a different name. I rarely have that happen but I don't even have a 5ghz band running for wifi.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BeltedCoyote tagging you since i know you are considering using...

oh I will be using it. I have the control 4, ato kit, leak sensor kits, and wave engine. Plus two of the original wifi power strips.

Will be using it primarily to monitor things and be able to shut things off remotely if something fails

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They normally reconnect in a minute or two without unplugging them when this happens. This can happen when trying to use them on a mesh type wifi network. Make sure the 2.4ghz band is separated form 5ghz band with a different name. I rarely have that happen but I don't even have a 5ghz band running for wifi.
Yes I went ahead and separated my WiFi to see if this fixes the issue I think that was the issue. Yes I normally hard plug everything I can. So far it’s been good!

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy. The XP8 will be a game changer. I have been beating on a beta unit for months and a production unit for a few weeks. It really ups the system to another level for those who want a hard wired power bar. I still use wifi strips for items that arent critical since the cost is so cheap. I personally still trust the wifi bars but the XP8 adds a psychological safety net for my critical items, plus the power monitoring gives another level of failure alerts.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy. The XP8 will be a game changer. I have been beating on a beta unit for months and a production unit for a few weeks. It really ups the system to another level for those who want a hard wired power bar. I still use wifi strips for items that arent critical since the cost is so cheap. I personally still trust the wifi bars but the XP8 adds a psychological safety net for my critical items, plus the power monitoring gives another level of failure alerts.
Yeah the introduction of the XP8 is where I started to look at it seriously

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with an X4 right after they came out. I now have 8 of them in a collective. I came for the Digital Aquatics. I was able to do everything I was doing with the Digital Aquatics and more. It currently controls the tank, storage tanks and RODI. I have three storage tanks in the garage. It auto refills all three. One is DI for ATO andy anything else I might a use for DI water to do since there is a dispense pump on that tank also. I have a fresh saltwater storage tank that is used mainly for ATO. It also has a dispense pump in it to dispense to containers for other uses. There is a mix tank. It is automatically refilled once it becomes empty. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when it is ready for use. When the fresh saltwater tank goes low the controller will transfer the water from the mix tank to the fresh saltwater tank if the mix tank is ready to use. Once transferred it refills the mix tank with DI from the RODI. I was already doing this with the Archon I had. I just had to figure out the setup on the Hydros to accomplish it. Once you figure out how to use the generic output and the combiner output setup you will be set. The generic output accepts only inputs and the Combiner only accepts other outputs for inputs. It has output types for most of the thing you will want to control such as pumps, lights, heaters, chillers and reactors. There is always the generic output which can also do all of the ones listed as well. So far I am very happy with it. I was also able to beta test the XP8 for them. I never had an issue with it for the months I had it. The production units also have power monitors on all 8 outputs. You can set a low and a high power limit for an output and get an alert if it is out of range. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
What is the mechanism that controls an RODI?

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to understand why buy the X4 over the X3/2/etc? Does it all just come down to additional ports or is there some internal hardware that’s different

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine! Been using it for over a year. Started with the X4, added the XS. Then when I upgraded my tank I added the Wave Engine. I use it to run 2 Octopulse pumps opposite each other in a sine wave pattern. Now I’ve expanded again to add the XP8.
62D7C3BC-4342-45B2-973F-BD78E9EB1D7F.jpeg
385F6D78-25CB-41A0-8E3A-2306060C7560.jpeg

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardwire power bar is a must for me. I use a mesh wifi and at this point, I don't feel like reinventing the wheel again. Too many smart devices now and I'm not that smart or patient lol.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an X3 and I've been pleased. I use it to monitor pH, temp, and leaks. It controls my Ranco temp controller as well. I would like to grab an XP8 and maybe a wave engine eventually.

The only goofy thing I've noticed is it's behavior after regaining power. Let's say I pull the power plug and then reconnect it. Everything will start operating as usual. Return, ATO, ranco, and doser come back no problem. But when I load up the Hydros app on my phone or computer, no inputs or anything are displayed. If you go into settings, they are all as usual. But again nothing at the STATUS page. I've had this persist for quite a while, hours iirc, after coming back online. If I change a setting and save, it uploads and suddenly everything is displayed again... BUT my return and anything on the wifi strip will turn off briefly(15-30 sec) and then power back on. Basically it does a quick reset.

Anyone experience the same?

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine! Been using it for over a year. Started with the X4, added the XS. Then when I upgraded my tank I added the Wave Engine. I use it to run 2 Octopulse pumps opposite each other in a sine wave pattern. Now I’ve expanded again to add the XP8.
62D7C3BC-4342-45B2-973F-BD78E9EB1D7F.jpeg
385F6D78-25CB-41A0-8E3A-2306060C7560.jpeg
where did you find your XP8? I haven't seen them stocked anywhere yet

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the mechanism that controls an RODI?
Basically I use solenoids to refill my DI storage and my mix tank. These two are Hydros solenoids with drive port connectors. The three storage tanks are in the garage under my work bench. There is a X4, XS and two X2's in the garage along with two wifi power strips. This has changed a little since the photo. The RODI control solenoids are in the upper right corner of the control board. The two on the left are the two Hydros solenoids. These are used to refill the DI storage tank and the mix tank. The other solenoid in the photo controls water to the input of the RODI which is out of the photo on the right.

7A94295D-AB1D-4174-9890-8CE53AE458B7.jpeg

There is a output type for RODI Filter control that I use for both solenoids. The input is setup to turn on if either of the other two are on via the Hydros. Below is the output setup for my DI refill output. I only use the feed output since I don't have a booster or a flush solenoid. Also since I tow of these I would have to come up with a way to power them with both outputs since you cannot use the same outlets on both the DI and Mix output setup. I am sure I can come up with something but didn't since I don't use those anyway. The refill is triggered by the low level input and is turn off by the high level input. It also has a maximum on time of 4 hours and 15 minutes. If it goes that long it turns off the output and sends an alert. The mix tank refill setup is about the same as this one except for the inputs and outputs used.

A97037F5-3E9E-431C-9B50-B72CFCB27904.png

9A2D4C59-FCEA-4373-89E4-B36BA87E70C8.png

713AFD43-0B0F-4B3B-8192-8FCB1E5E4CEE.png

Last edited:

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you find your XP8? I haven't seen them stocked anywhere yet
I was afforded the opportunity to buy an early release marketing unit. My guess is they will be available within the week or so. Don’t hold me to it, just my best guess. I’m not privy to information though.

Back