HYDROS WaveEngine at Reefapalooza Orlando 2019

Kyl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
And I'll give you an example of a local guy that's been in a bit of a bind:

Established 5 foot tank with a XF150 gyre and previously two RW-8 powerheads. Powerheads have slowly died in the last few months after a few years, he has had a hard time getting more without buying from offshore. If he wants to upgrade pumps it will be a few hundred dollars since he ran the RW's through the simple apex harness. Then there probably won't be apex support, or more 0-10v ports required. As well, to possibly run another gyre he has to buy a used XF150/250, used controller or another gyre interface module, which needs another 0-10v port which means another VDM module.

Or I can suggest that he takes his XF150, picks up two pump-only octo-pulse and runs them on a single wave engine, with a single 0-10v line running to his apex for feed mode / maintenance control. And in the future there are multiple gyre options to add a fourth pump to the system,pretty much everything from gen1 through 3, the 1k/3k icecaps and forthcoming 2k/4k icecaps. All native into a single connection point / power brick, and looks to be supporting battery backup options as well.

That's IMO a big plus to not have to go source old pumps or modules because the vendor has already EOL'd them from retail channels (gen1/2 gyres), and the 3 series isn't backwards compatible with their native controllers. I'm really giving thought to re-purposing my SW-4's and running my 230 gyres through a WE with two pulse-2's too, then I can scrap the ICV6 since Apex support never materialized and I'm not on that control platform anymore anyway.

I think you guys hit on to something that a few of us have wanted, that the "market leaders" seem to have completely ignored. Hopefully the release goes really well.

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
And I'll give you an example of a local guy that's been in a bit of a bind:

Established 5 foot tank with a XF150 gyre and previously two RW-8 powerheads. Powerheads have slowly died in the last few months after a few years, he has had a hard time getting more without buying from offshore. If he wants to upgrade pumps it will be a few hundred dollars since he ran the RW's through the simple apex harness. Then there probably won't be apex support, or more 0-10v ports required. As well, to possibly run another gyre he has to buy a used XF150/250, used controller or another gyre interface module, which needs another 0-10v port which means another VDM module.

Or I can suggest that he takes his XF150, picks up two pump-only octo-pulse and runs them on a single wave engine, with a single 0-10v line running to his apex for feed mode / maintenance control. And in the future there are multiple gyre options to add a fourth pump to the system,pretty much everything from gen1 through 3, the 1k/3k icecaps and forthcoming 2k/4k icecaps. All native into a single connection point / power brick, and looks to be supporting battery backup options as well.

That's IMO a big plus to not have to go source old pumps or modules because the vendor has already EOL'd them from retail channels (gen1/2 gyres), and the 3 series isn't backwards compatible with their native controllers. I'm really giving thought to re-purposing my SW-4's and running my 230 gyres through a WE with two pulse-2's too, then I can scrap the ICV6 since Apex support never materialized and I'm not on that control platform anymore anyway.

I think you guys hit on to something that a few of us have wanted, that the "market leaders" seem to have completely ignored. Hopefully the release goes really well.
Your post really hits the nail on the head in terms of what we're trying to accomplish with the WaveEngine!

Kyl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
There are a lot of instances where information like this hasn't made its way to me yet, so I actually like discovering it right along with you. I'm going to need new pumps for my next tank, so this information helps me out as well!
So the day is almost upon us, can you share more on the pump-only OctoPulse potentials? Or is that more a @[email protected] question?

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
So the day is almost upon us, can you share more on the pump-only OctoPulse potentials? Or is that more a @[email protected] question?
I talked with HQ. We're about a month away from having Octo Pulse PUMP ONLY options available. :cool:

Digigill

View Badges
Reaction score
Based on the pumps that we have tested, the hardware itself is incompatible.

Some of the Jebao pumps are actually a true DC motor. We are not saying they are all true DC pumps but some are. Maybe others we have not tested are not.

Anyway, a true DC pump means the controller is technically only sending the pump a current from 0 to 24v. The more the controller sends, the faster the pump runs. This is a very inexpensive way to design and run a pump but also could be considered inefficient. True DC pumps are not very good at running at low speeds as they generate very little torque. Since the controller is only sending a 0-24v signal (one way), it has absolutely no idea that a pump is connected to it. It knows nothing about the status or the pump itself. In fact, the controller sends out a signal hoping that a pump out there will pick it up the signal and run with it. That’s why when a pump goes bad, the controller runs as if everything as OK because it really does not know that the pump itself is not running.

Most pumps out on the market, while they are called DC pumps, are really a three-phase AC pump. To the end user, they have the same functionality as a DC pump but from a technical standpoint, it is a much more reliable way to run a motor. Also, on a three-phase AC motor, the controller gets feedback from the pump about it’s running status.

The WaveEngine was designed to run three-phase AC motors and is not compatible with true DC motors.

For the reasons stated above, and assuming that all Jebao pumps are the same (and this is very much an assumption only) the Jebao pumps are NOT compatible with the WaveEngine if you want to run them directly connected to it. This DOES NOT mean that you cannot use them with the WaveEngine thought. We have a beta tester that has been running his Jebao pumps along with Gyres on his WaveEngine using the WaveBox made by Jebao.
Carlos, thanks for these details. When controlling three-phase AC pumps directly, does the WaveEngine send three-phase square waves, three-phase sine waves or does it depend on which pump is directly connected? My understanding is the Gyre 200 series used square waves and the 300 series switched to sine waves which resulted in a quieter running motor.

[email protected]

View Badges
Reaction score
Carlos, thanks for these details. When controlling three-phase AC pumps directly, does the WaveEngine send three-phase square waves, three-phase sine waves or does it depend on which pump is directly connected? My understanding is the Gyre 200 series used square waves and the 300 series switched to sine waves which resulted in a quieter running motor.
It depends on the pump. Each pump has a software profile that tells the WaveEngine how to specifically run the pump and best way to do so. Each pump is different.

Flore

View Badges
Reaction score
I finally got mine! Also got the 0-10V cable for the Apex. Didn't hook everything up yet, but I'm wondering, why does the Apex adapter have 2 Ethernet jacks on one side? I only have one free output...

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
I finally got mine! Also got the 0-10V cable for the Apex. Didn't hook everything up yet, but I'm wondering, why does the Apex adapter have 2 Ethernet jacks on one side? I only have one free output...
Looks like Carlos from our team answered this one in another thread for ya!

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love or hate your tank right now? Be honest!

• 10 - SUPER LOVE

Votes: 99 11.9%

Votes: 74 8.9%

Votes: 211 25.3%

Votes: 144 17.3%

Votes: 74 8.9%
  • 5 - I have mixed emotions...

Votes: 172 20.6%

Votes: 19 2.3%

Votes: 14 1.7%

Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 1 - Hate It