Hypo does flukes

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it appears my kryptonite with quarantine is the fluke prazi pro stage. I run copper in a qt, and have tried prazipro , and general cure on different occasions, and I lose most fish soon after trying to treat flukes. My water will get cloudy, and sitting a day 2 to 3 fish are dead who were doing well up until that point.

I’m done with prazipro, and am looking at hypo for flukes.

Plan would be to bring new fish into hypo out of the bag, and keep them there the week humble suggested, and slowly ramp up salinity to get it to a copper level (I’m guessing 1.016?)

What complications are there with hypo? Ph? Can you set it to 1.009 and leave it there, or do you need to be buffering and checking PH?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. You need to keep an eye on the PH. Here's a great article that should answer some of your questions and help you plan your action:

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the fw dip. Did my YT for 6 minutes and loads of stuff came out. He was looking rough before and has been great ever since.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of copper have you been using? There's some pretty poor info running around that Prazi is fine to use with copper. I think that depends on what kind of copper because I have followed that advice and lost fish on multiple occasions before clueing on. I don't have any definitive proof but in my experience praziquantel and cupramine are deadly. I see people using chelated copper who seem to have no issues.

Last edited:

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried hypo in the past, it was dfifficult for me tto get right.

I now use fenbendazole for flukes, that is another option.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What sort of copper have you been using? There's some pretty poor info running around that Prazi is fine to use with copper. I think that depends on what kind of copper because I have followed that advice and lost fish on multiple occasions before clueing on. I don't have any definitive proof but in my experience praziquantel and cupramine are deadly. I see people using chelated copper who seem to have no issues.
It's hard to say and each tank and situation is different..I am at 30 days today in medicated copper using cupermine keeping it at .8 with 6 fish in a 20g long and have run 2 rounds of GC and 2 rounds of prazipro and fish are looking %100 better. I'm still going to run a few more days in copper and then TTM to their QT until my DT is done with fallow.

Each tank is so different which makes this hobby hard some times....copper is one of those grey areas with other meds I guess.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back