HYPOSALINITY...PROCEED BUT WITH SOME CAUTION

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Hypo at times in QT and DT’s. Having just come off a 30 day hypo treatment for 625g FOWLR DT with various tangs and angels, it dawned on me that the notion that Hypo is well tolerated by fish may need some caveats. These are some of things that I’ve learned about Hypo....

- when treating with hypo, one has to be on alert for changes in behavior and stress. Don’t assume it will be easy and all go well. If you do, you will miss signs and lose fish along the way. (During this last 30 day hypo I lost 5 lyretail anthias and 1 orange diamond watchman goby)
-Hypo can and will be stressful on the fish...especially the last 10 days of a 30 day treatment
- Assume Ammonia will creep a bit along the way. Monitor and use prime when needed during treatment.
-PH will drop some. Use sodium bicarbonate if needed. Mine didn’t drop below 7.8 /7.9 so didn’t add anything. Below that I would have. Preferably keep at no lower than 7.9/8.0.
-Sensitive fish may develop secondary bacteria infection ( my yellow tang developed septicemia which I treated successfully by adding furan2 and kanoplex to food and improving water quality as I raised salinity after the 30 days)
-the last 10 days are particularly stressful and might lead to less appetite and lethargic behavior
- take your time increasing salinity back to normal...Since I have a FOWLR I keep my DL at 1.020 and raise it over 2 weeks. your fish will benefit from the gradual increase and you will like it too as you see them “come alive” with every water change and move up. If you normally keep it at 1.025, 2 1/2 -3wks is recommended.
-add some live bacteria at end of process to help reverse any ammonia creep
-Observe fish every day. If they are stressing obsessively, consider stopping hypo after 21 days(minimum) vs 30...I think in 90% of the cases this w/b sufficient. If you can go to 30 days however, still recommended
- Feed sparingly the last 10 days as their appetite seems to diminish and will help with ammonia creep

Please keep in mind that this is all based on FOWLR set up and NOT A REEF where removal of all corals would be needed before trying the 30 day regimen.

So the word to the wise is that while hypo can be affective in ridding your DL of ich(fingers crossed as only time will tell this time), it does have some pitfalls and it is best to plan accordingly and not assume that its always well tolerated and causes little stress on fish.

Hope this helps....

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this.

But, do we not know if Hypo really kills the parasite or just prolong the cyst period....

Sincerely Lasse
Thx. Many say that the lower salinity makes the cyst bursts. However I’m still not fully sure and thus my comment about fingers crossed....

Back