Hyposalinity questions.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my 55 gal cycled QT at 1.009, housing a powder brown tang and a tailspot blenny (55 gal tank). My LFS has a white tail bristletooth that looks great, on sale. My LFS usually keeps their fish in normal salinity. I would like to get the white tail and QT him with the powder brown (separating them with egg crate initially) so they can be added to the DT together.

Questions:

The powder brown is nearing the end of his 30 days hypo. Would another month be harmful? He's tolerating it very well, eating, good color, etc.

What's the fastest way to bring the white tail down to hyposalinity so I can get him into my QT?

TIA,

Cindy

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moot point, they sold the white tail. That's what I get for procrastinating LOL.

I would still be interested in answers for future reference.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish tolerate changes in salinity rather well when going lower. You can drop the salinity over the course of a few hours in most cases. When I did mine, I drip acclimated the new fish for a few hours and they all did well. Just watch for any signs of extreme stress (heavy breathing, laying on side, erratic behavior, etc).

When raising the salinity, It is very important to do so slowly. For some reason they do not tolerate increases in salinity as well. I try to keep my increases to no more than .0005 per day. So from 1.009 to 1.014 in a 24 hour period. It is easiest to just use saltwater for top-offs, though this method can take weeks. You can also use water changes to raise it in a few days to a week.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the end of my hyposalinity and ready to begin raising it. I'll do it through daily (ish) water changes.

I spot checked the pH but never encountered an issue. Both fish seem to be doing great. AAAND, my LFS is expecting another white tail, they will call me if it arrives in decent shape.

I plan to keep them all in hypo together.

Back