I’m a beginner and I’m warmly hugged by ich

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Hello! Friendly beginner here, so my clown has the blues, well, more like the whites, I’ll start from the beginning, I got a Chromis to cycle my tank(stupid, yes ik) about 3 or 4 weeks ago, he was exposed to about 1ppm of ammonia, however I did use bottle bacteria so it didn’t get too bad, I noticed 0 ammonia burns on him, After the ammonia levels went to 0, I added a firefish and my clownfish into the tank(20 gal btw) was it stupid to stock two fish at a time, yes, but I’m known for being impatient. After that The Chromis seemed fine and healthy, however I believe he was struck with uronema, he got two big old white sores on him that eventually turned into Red sores and I lost him, now my firefish and clown has ich and I am treating it right now and I’m mostly concerned with why his fins are like falling apart, the firefish is the same, is it possible that there’s fin rot and ich or like what

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that is probably brooklynella. Usually the fish don’t have much time once it takes hold like that. I’ve personally never treated for it so I won’t give advice. But there is lots of info on this forum about it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a link, hope it helps.

OP
OP
R

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a link, hope it helps.

Well if it is that I could be screwed because I don’t have any really strong formulin lying around

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it is that I could be screwed because I don’t have any really strong formulin lying around
It is really hard I know. I hate to lose fish. For a future reference, read about fallow periods for saltwater fish. Parasites have life cycles and can remain in your tank even after no fish are inside.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I don't see Brooklynella on this fish, I see a severe case of Cryptocaryon, ich. What are you treating it with?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagitarium parasite remedy because it’s apparently age for invertebrates
I’ve not used that, it isn’t common in the US. However, I’ve heard two other reports of it not working for advanced ich infections.
Jay

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, "Imagitarium" is a Petco store-brand.

Pretty good chance, based on that and "safe for invertibrates", that it's not going to save this fish. Reef-safe medications don't seem to be very dangerous to parasites either.

~B.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back