I’m done neglecting my tank... I need advice

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others say, you have to develop rhythm that works for you. Saturday morning for me is Change carbon, clean glass, and check ATO, Fill it if i need it etc. Ill be adding alk, cal, and phos testing here shortly. Not tank control is everything, but it reminds me of things, and alerts me to stuff etc. I think finding what works well for you, is the key to consistency and not giving up. If it becomes too much to do, you'll never do it etc.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually soaked my powerhead in citric acid yesterday and it seemed to work quite well.. going to try my return pumps and whatnot soon as well.
Any pics of your little siphon hose setup?
Thanks!
I like having the hard pipe to be about as deep as the tank so I can reach most corners, but not too long if you have lights hanging close to the surface or a canopy that doesn't get moved. Hose should be long enough to reach buckets.

hose.JPG

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a nice low maintenance fish-clownfish. if you have an anemone, they shouldn't be too hard to catch as they'll usually stay pretty close. No fish is going to straight up swim into your net, but as far as hardiness and just kind of being a basic fish, I would definitely recommend clownfish. You could also do a cardinal fish (they're pretty slow, but also easy to care for)

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having the hard pipe to be about as deep as the tank so I can reach most corners, but not too long if you have lights hanging close to the surface or a canopy that doesn't get moved. Hose should be long enough to reach buckets.

hose.JPG
What size is the hard pipe? I like this too..

I’m thinking this would be perfect to clean the tank and siphon stuff out whilst the other pvc pipe thing can be used to do water changes

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m somewhat in the same boat. I took care of my father earlier this year before he passed away and 6 weeks later we had a newborn. Work has been super busy which of course is a blessing but time hasn’t been on my side....I would only sprinkle some food and fill the ato. Clean glass once a month and water change if possible. I finally decided to do something about it.

So Black Friday I got a few things that were necessities at this point. My led-T5 fixture had fans that were working and I couldn’t get the bluefish controller to work on my wifi. I picked up a new AP9X and am going LED only this time around. I had a very old apex classic that also wasn’t agreeing at times. I got a new Apex. The last 2 weekends I have done massive water changes and general husbandry. Most corals will be moved to another also sad tank downstairs that I will tackle next. The plan is to make this tank as simple and easy to run as possible. Minimal livestock of just a pair of clowns and anemones. At least that’s what I’m telling myself....for now.

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth buying a python thing to siphon it out easier without making a mess? Any experience with one? I will add I can’t hook it to my sink considering it is not threaded... so potentially not.: I just like the little tube to help suck stuff out of the tank. I do not really want to clean my sand as much as just get the large algae out. It usually ends up clogging the pump when I pump water out during a water change

What I thought was a big problem of mine was lack of flow.. I thought about adding another power head as well as maybe some clean up crew.
I LOVE my python hose since i have a couple tanks the python comes in handy sometimes when im lazy and just need to change water quick

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make my water changes easier... I use an old eheim pump or something and some green tubing but I still end up making a mess removing the water. Filling it is easy as I just put the hose into my sump.. any tips for east water removal for a water change? I have a porch 5 feet away too I usually pour the water off of so no need for a sink really.

I was thinking one of those pvc pipe things but unsure that or a python thing ( I think that’s what it’s called the little siphon / tube thing) or what else do you recommend?
I use to take a garden hose and hook to faucet outside and run into house to tank. Turn it on till just barely starts to put water in tank (just get hose filled) then turn off and unhook from faucet and then let water drain back creating siphon from tank to outside. Easiest done with 2 people so one can tell u when to turn off plus also hold end of hose under water at tank so doesn't break siphon. Now I do auto water changes with DOS and so easy I can't imagine doing any other way now. both ways better than using buckets sloshing through house as I did for waaaaaay too many years!

ReefingFamily

"It's all about the colors"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many great examples of routine maintenance schedules provided by those in this thread. I too do a weekly water change of 10gallons for my 100 gallon system. In my opinion I think routine is key no matter what direction you go. I would find something that you feel you can be consistent with and focus on doing this for at least a month. At that point it becomes a habit and you can make mild changes from there. I love the idea of breaking the task up over a few days to make it feel less like a chore and more like just something you do.

Andrew Zimmerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intentionally made my tank low maintenance. The biggest part of that was automatic water changes. There are a couple different ways to do this, but I highly recommend it. Nutrient levels have never been a problem of mine due the constant water changes. automatic water changes have solved so many problems of mine that I would recommendit to any reefer that routinely neglects there tank.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the hard pipe? I like this too..

I’m thinking this would be perfect to clean the tank and siphon stuff out whilst the other pvc pipe thing can be used to do water changes
Edit: The pipe is 3/8th inch O.D.

Last edited:

Shaummy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding a bit on the Python. I use it for water changes, and don't assume that it won't fit on a faucet, as almost all of them have some sort of thread for the aerator. They may be internal or external threads so you may have to use an adapter that fits your faucet.

That said, I use my laundry tub/sink to attach the python and use it to siphon out the tank water that I want for a water change, then I disconnect it and I have a pump that I can connect to the same python fitting to put water back into the tank. Since I keep a Brute can in the basement, I have a Mag24 to push the water back up to the main floor (and not take all day) but you could do it with less if you aren't pumping the water that far.

Key thing is to know how much water you have taken out with the python siphon. It can be pretty easy to get carried away with siphoning and realize you have taken out more water than you have made.

Before I started using the python, I did my last "manual" change and I marked my tank at the water level I wanted to use, and then I could visually see when I got close, and had enough water to replace it with a small amount to spare.

I would add that since I use a Brute in the basement, I also use a remote power switch to turn the pump on/off so that I don't have to leave the tank to do it. That may not be an issue if you are standing right by the tank and pumping it in right there.

HTH..

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a set routine also but it is bi-weekly.

Odd Weeks - I conduct a 15 gallon water change on a roughly 70 gallon system. I use an old pump and drain my sump and then refill it. I personally am not a fan of draining the water from my display. Using the sump also allows me to clean it as needed. I will also change my filter sock at this time and refill my ATO.

Even Weeks - I replace my carbon and/or GFO, change my filter sock, and refill my ATO.

Additionally every Wednesday I will change my filter socks as well.

I prepare the water the Friday night before conducting the water change and this only takes a few minutes as I keep 20 gallons of RODI on hand at all times. (My wife is not a fan of staged salt water in the living room)

Once I have my second tank up and running I will have the tanks on staggered weeks.

I can honestly say from start to finish it takes me 30 minutes to drain the water, refill, change the filter sock, and completely clean up.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start the end of your work week. Pop in some headphones, put on a good play list, grab a 6 pack and just start working. Your original photos overwhelmed me lol, so I'd break it up over a few weeks so I wouldn't burn out. Bring it back to life Doctor! ‍

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a lot of manual cleaning. Scrape the glass and suction out top layer of sand with algae and clean sand in tap water, then RODI and return. (Only top layer of sand unless you have a ton of detritus, then a rip clean may be in order)

Then pull some or the rocks and scrub the algae off in old saltwater when you are doing water changes.

Get more CUC to keep everything nice and under control once you have it cleaned up.
Some for sandbed (conch and ceriths)
Some for rocks and glass (astrea, trochus, urchin)

My routine is:
-Feed my fish and inverts daily in the morning.
-10 gallon water change every 2 weeks on my 60. I stir up sand when I do water change.
-Change the socks when they clog (every 3-5 days)
-Clean the glass when it needs it (every couple weeks since I have so many snails)
-Test Alk, NO3 and PO4 at least twice a week.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a lot of manual cleaning. Scrape the glass and suction out top layer of sand with algae and clean sand in tap water, then RODI and return. (Only top layer of sand unless you have a ton of detritus, then a rip clean may be in order)

Then pull some or the rocks and scrub the algae off in old saltwater when you are doing water changes.

Get more CUC to keep everything nice and under control once you have it cleaned up.
Some for sandbed (conch and ceriths)
Some for rocks and glass (astrea, trochus, urchin)

My routine is:
-Feed my fish and inverts daily in the morning.
-10 gallon water change every 2 weeks on my 60. I stir up sand when I do water change.
-Change the socks when they clog (every 3-5 days)
-Clean the glass when it needs it (every couple weeks since I have so many snails)
-Test Alk, NO3 and PO4 at least twice a week.
Can you recommend some more Cuc members? I feel like that’s a big issue as well is that very few things are cleaning or moving the sand and whatnot.. I’ve done a decent cleaning already and it looks good. My issue is sometimes I don’t realize that despite the tank looks “ ok” it’s always better do to more water changes. I was also thinking about adding some more flow.. I don’t really want to add many fish maybe one or two potentially after some research but as of now I am looking for More critters for the tank.
I’ve changed all my filters as well in my rodi. They were still producing 0tds but I still figured I’d might as well replace them all it wasn’t a large expense... I also added some gfo and activated carbon into my reactor.

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change Wednesday FTW!! Just did mine actually. I change filter floss every couple days. I like to stir the sand daily but I know I’m in the minority there.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you recommend some more Cuc members? I feel like that’s a big issue as well is that very few things are cleaning or moving the sand and whatnot.. I’ve done a decent cleaning already and it looks good. My issue is sometimes I don’t realize that despite the tank looks “ ok” it’s always better do to more water changes. I was also thinking about adding some more flow.. I don’t really want to add many fish maybe one or two potentially after some research but as of now I am looking for More critters for the tank.
I’ve changed all my filters as well in my rodi. They were still producing 0tds but I still figured I’d might as well replace them all it wasn’t a large expense... I also added some gfo and activated carbon into my reactor.
I would get 2 or 3 short spine sea urchins. They should help with the algae.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back