JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of threads on qt vs no qt
Completely agree and my question to @tehmadreefer, which has already been answered, came from the comment that “QT was crap”. I only wanted to know what their individual reason for their belief was. Again, I didn’t bring it up and realize it’s a polarizing topic with many threads and the same people on each side advocating their beliefs. I do what I do because I’ve found what has worked best for me so far. You do you and I’ll do me is how I see it.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a queston. How come idols have to have sponge?

I remember the same issue with angels yrs ago and everyone said sponge. Now that seems to have passed with plenty of big Angel's that have never tasted sponge

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I remember the same issue with angels yrs ago and everyone said sponge. Now that seems to have passed with plenty of big Angel's that have never tasted sponge
Some angels have lower success rates than others and it’s been said that lack of sponge is the reason. Some angels seam to do fine without it while others do not. Rock beauty being an angel that comes to mind. Also, there are now options for feeding sponge that have not always been available to the masses.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’d ship it I’d sure take it! I hear they do better in multiples. Hopefully I can get mine eating as well as yours is. Maybe I need yours to teach mine?
That’s actually not true. At least not in aquariums. Singles are best unless your tank is massive.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve got a Koran that is doing great. QT’d with my PBT and has grown quite nicely. Won’t be long before I’ll need to re-home and start with another juvenile angel. Maybe another year or so. Of course it’s not one known to be difficult or must have sponge but it gets it anyway. It also loves NLS pellets even though I rarely feed them.
Same fish in each photo:
CC71D0F8-61E6-4CE1-9603-07E584329C5B.jpeg

1EA2C7CA-40E8-49EE-8990-61BACAF1A556.jpeg

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some angels have lower success rates than others and it’s been said that lack of sponge is the reason. Some angels seam to do fine without it while others do not. Rock beauty being an angel that comes to mind. Also, there are now options for feeding sponge that have not always been available to the masses.

I think that's just marketing. I hope I dont eat my words but I know plenty of large Angel's raised without sponge. I had a big blueface and a friend had a queen. As long as you provide a quality food like say lrs and nls I think your fine. If it can be done with Angel's then I dont see why it cant be done with idols. Well besides feeding high protein to fish not designed for it

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we are on the sponge topic....what are some of my big angel folks opinions on Angel Elixir by Brightwell?
I think that's just marketing. I hope I dont eat my words but I know plenty of large Angel's raised without sponge. I had a big blueface and a friend had a queen. As long as you provide a quality food like say lrs and nls I think your fine. If it can be done with Angel's then I dont see why it cant be done with idols. Well besides feeding high protein to fish not designed for it

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Fish will not always have ich! It’s been proven By the many that QT (and do it right). I recently had a Harlequin Tusk pass (2 weeks ago yesterday) and I took it in for a necropsy just to confirm there were no parasites or something I missed.
Here is the thread on that but I’ll also include the final report from the Vet who did the necropsy in case you’re not interested in going through that thread. It’s a doozy if you ask me and several others that have stumbled across it!

5515B764-6BFF-4481-B1DB-1122EC72D9CE.jpeg

That’s super interesting. I saw your thread looking for a necropsy service. Glad you found one.

My Anthias didn’t die from Ich. None of my fish did. Something exploded out of its head. Really. Here’s a pic.

I focus on their immune system and they come through it all. Except for the exploding head of course.

Jason, I guess if they do best in multiples you’ll need go get it some companions! You could become like the getting Moorish Idols to eat whisperer. Lol

28149F00-4E1F-4866-BB30-8B8B08BFE43A.jpeg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t know idols have to have sponge as a fact. Just sharing my experience.
As far as angels, think available foods have come a long way. Think that’s part of the big boost in this hobby’s success. Would think most people with angels feed angel preparations which most have sponge in it, and don’t even realize. Would guess if you feed a quality freshly prepared, not frozen to death food like lfs or rods that sponge may become less important. Would think sponge becomes more or less vital depending on type of angel and it’s age.

ZanclusKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never fed any of my idols sponges, only a variety of pellet food. I had one for 3 years before I sold it to someone with a larger tank. I think the most important part is treating them for disease.

Good luck, my 2 cents....

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never fed any of my idols sponges, only a variety of pellet food. I had one for 3 years before I sold it to someone with a larger tank. I think the most important part is treating them for disease.

Very nice

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Love the pair just going at it. Do you find they do better when there are multiples?

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

That’s super interesting. I saw your thread looking for a necropsy service. Glad you found one.

My Anthias didn’t die from Ich. None of my fish did. Something exploded out of its head. Really. Here’s a pic.

I focus on their immune system and they come through it all. Except for the exploding head of course.

Jason, I guess if they do best in multiples you’ll need go get it some companions! You could become like the getting Moorish Idols to eat whisperer. Lol

28149F00-4E1F-4866-BB30-8B8B08BFE43A.jpeg
that's bizar! I wasn't laughing at the hole in head but more the idol whisperer lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back