Not open for further replies.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I really appreciate it
I’m always happy to help out. If you ever have any questions, feel free to pm me. I’d be more than happy to describe exactly how I keep my reef. Who knows, maybe there’s something I do and don’t really think about as a big deal that could be a real gamechanger for you. I had the same level of epiphany when someone told me to stop using magnet scrapers on my tank and just use an old credit card. It blew my mind and made a very frustrating task an absolute piece-o-cake. I wish I had asked that guy how he cleaned his tank years ago.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always happy to help out. If you ever have any questions, feel free to pm me. I’d be more than happy to describe exactly how I keep my reef. Who knows, maybe there’s something I do and don’t really think about as a big deal that could be a real gamechanger for you. I had the same level of epiphany when someone told me to stop using magnet scrapers on my tank and just use an old credit card. It blew my mind and made a very frustrating task an absolute piece-o-cake. I wish I had asked that guy how he cleaned his tank years ago.
Never thought of that! I’m trying to figure out how I’ll clean a reef jar glass if I get one hahaha

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to stay in the hobby, let me know and maybe I can help you and the problems you have had as I am local to you. :)

I hate to see anyone leave the hobby as it can be very fulfilling. :)

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this hobby but it sucks. For the last few weeks I’ve really been debating selling it all. I lost a tang today and that’s it.
52DE9C9B-B3F8-4776-A717-ECF955D9C2A6.jpeg
Dude, last month I received two boxes of corals from Indonesia Worth wholesale at $3,000 for both boxes and all the corals the next day or two died on me,, these are soft corals very ultra rare type. If things like this made me stop the hobby I wouldn't be here today, any hobby or a business you run will never run smoothly sometimes. Just remember it builds character whatever happens to us in life.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to stay in the hobby, let me know and maybe I can help you and the problems you have had as I am local to you. :)

I hate to see anyone leave the hobby as it can be very fulfilling. :)
Thank you so much!!! I’ll definitely keep that in mind! I’m thinking I’m going to move to a reef jar with frequent water changes using distilled water...

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, enough, lets keep this thread on point and not turn it into a name calling thread or a judgement thread. If we can't play nice then I will lock it down.
The fella came here to complain and then when people offered solutions or words of wisdom he called them ignorant and boomers. I thought it was pretty uncalled for. Regardless, I'm done with this thread. Apologies for cluttering it up.

Last edited:

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as the OP. This hobby was great when I lived in a big city with nothing else to do. Now I live in a small town and have a big garden and outdoor interests that have me neglecting the tank. I've been dealing with a massive gha in my 20 since the move. Pluck it and weekly 25% water changes and it gets worse. Now my big tank that only has crabs and a snail has gha issues and hydroids.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first reef tank when I was 16. I got my first job and used some of my money to buy a used tank and the best equipment I could afford, which honestly wasn’t much! I build the sump myself and used epoxy to build baffles for the sump. Basically it was very DIY but I had the spare time to build. The tank had its ups but it was a lot of downs too because I was still learning and making due with what I had. I lost fish, corals, electrocuted myself with bad wiring choices but I learned from all those mistakes! When I went off to college my parents were in charge of the tank and it went downhill fast. I came home to find the tank covered in green hair algae, all the corals died and it was a disaster. I had to make a choice and I broke down the tank and sold back the fish I had. I was out of the hobby but still had a passion for it. A few years later I started up a new tank and I’ve had 4 tanks since that first one. Sorry your tang didn’t make it. I know it’s really tough to see something you’re caring for pass away. My best advice is to be kind on yourself, sometimes crappy stuff happens out of your control. And if you need to take a break that’s OK. You’ll figure out what’s best for you.
Good luck!

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first reef tank when I was 16. I got my first job and used some of my money to buy a used tank and the best equipment I could afford, which honestly wasn’t much! I build the sump myself and used epoxy to build baffles for the sump. Basically it was very DIY but I had the spare time to build. The tank had its ups but it was a lot of downs too because I was still learning and making due with what I had. I lost fish, corals, electrocuted myself with bad wiring choices but I learned from all those mistakes! When I went off to college my parents were in charge of the tank and it went downhill fast. I came home to find the tank covered in green hair algae, all the corals died and it was a disaster. I had to make a choice and I broke down the tank and sold back the fish I had. I was out of the hobby but still had a passion for it. A few years later I started up a new tank and I’ve had 4 tanks since that first one. Sorry your tang didn’t make it. I know it’s really tough to see something you’re caring for pass away. My best advice is to be kind on yourself, sometimes crappy stuff happens out of your control. And if you need to take a break that’s OK. You’ll figure out what’s best for you.
Good luck!

Very cool I’m 14 and I sell lobsters to sustain the hobby

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tackle each of the problems one at time, you will solve them and get the joy back from the hobby. Having said that leaving for a while isn't a terrible idea, and see if it pulls you back.

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss. And the decision to leave the hobby. I certainly agree that it can be very expensive. Can’t imagine trying to get all of the supplies on a 16 year old’s budget. But you’ve got lots of time if you decide you want another run.

I kind of know how you feel. I got started again after taking a lot of time off for college and early career. It just wasn’t practical for me with all the traveling and moving. Eventually, I met my wife and we decided we needed something to add some character to our new home. Now I’ve been back for 10 years and always got the bug to try some kind of wacky experiment.

Best of luck to you! If you ever need anything fish or reef related, the folks on the forum will be here.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I kept the tank and thgnfs went well the pricetag on it would be my college and a car lol the whole reason for shutting this down is multiple reasons, the fish, the algae, everything. Also, notice how no-one liked your comment? You're not being helpful. Please stop posting in this thread, I posted because I'm stressed and leaving, you're criticism is not helping that.
Calm down dude, he's providing some good advice. If there is any criticism in his post, it is constructive.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as the OP. This hobby was great when I lived in a big city with nothing else to do. Now I live in a small town and have a big garden and outdoor interests that have me neglecting the tank. I've been dealing with a massive gha in my 20 since the move. Pluck it and weekly 25% water changes and it gets worse. Now my big tank that only has crabs and a snail has gha issues and hydroids.
Water changes make mine worse too I think it’s because of conditioner tap water

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!
Thank you

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool I’m 14 and I sell lobsters to sustain the hobby
I’d definitely do something of the sort but I’m inland and have no access to Lobsters XD I sell plants and such on the side and do graphic design so those thing in a little bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back