I’m looking for input on this rockscape before I glue everything together

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says looking for input before I glue everything together what are you guys think it’s gonna be a mixed reef.
Rock is not against the back wall there’s open space for flow

FCD659F9-EF6F-4477-A61D-61F0F2363F12.jpeg 765530DC-A684-4122-BFAB-491A9BC61818.jpeg DDF3E44E-3A14-428E-9B2F-5EB7FC6B48B8.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually really like it - once coral grows up top - there will be more hiding places for the fish. One comment - I dont know if your tank has a brace across the top - and even if not, moving it around may be an issue. The only suggestion I might make is to separate it into 2 separate components? - AND - possibly not gluing 'everything' together - i.e. leave some rock unglued - though sitting where you want it - in case you want to take a rock out for some reason (washing, etc). It, though, really looks nice. None of my rock was glued - in my Aquascape - but its now all nicely set - just with corals, etc etc growing on it - though I can still separate most of it if needed

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is a center brace I thought about doing two islands but there’s just not enough space with the amount of rock I have I have enough light coverage not to worry about the brace and good idea about not gluing everything. I’m actually using Loctite white foam this stuff is great.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes there is a center brace I thought about doing two islands but there’s just not enough space with the amount of rock I have I have enough light coverage not to worry about the brace and good idea about not gluing everything. I’m actually using Loctite white foam this stuff is great.
Curious are you sure its 'reef safe'?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the foam for?

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I have a friend who owns a custom aquarium business who uses it all the time. It is great. Do aquascape then from the rear spray foam. Will fill some irregularities driven up and rock work is stiff as can be. It’s very sticky. Can’t even see since it’s in the rear. And any foam I covered with sand.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the foam for? Is that not sand?
Foam is to secure rock-work together. I placed as stable as I could but there were a few pieces that wobbled. I just shot some foam in from the rear and now it’s “rock” solid. Better than cement or epoxy in my opinion. Then again never used cement but this works fast

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foam is to secure rock-work together. I placed as stable as I could but there were a few pieces that wobbled. I just shot some foam in from the rear and now it’s “rock” solid. Better than cement or epoxy in my opinion. Then again never used cement but this works fast

Won't break down in saltwater? Critters won't nibble it away? I guess it may take awhile. Sounds neat.

I personally do not like rock solid scapes in reef aquaria. Always hear about a pest or a fish that needs to come out and out comes the "I can't remove my aquascape". "I can't get to the aiptasia" on and on :p That's just my personal preference though.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure if needed I can pull rock out. I agree my other tanks are just loose rock but on this tank I had a few pieces that weren’t solid so I decided to use foam. It should not degrade under sea water but I guess time will tell.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey, the only person who has to like your aquascape is you! In my experience you just keep moving things around until it finally feels right, then you're done.

You might ultimately want to build up some - but you have plenty of room here.

And I like that fish can swim through the valleys and stuff - my favorite thing is to have rocks that the fish can interact with as far as swimming around and through stuff.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. As one who had a tank with 2 center braces and had to remove rocks and redo scape, I'd glue in small groups. Wet rock is very heavy. Each of my tanks, except the new one, I've had to move rock for one reason or another. New tank I have 1 island that can be taken apart, and I've had to do so after I lost a coral down in its depths! Just document what rocks are glued so you know in the future

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back