I’m Loving the NEW Current USA Orbit R24 Reef Light

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with the AI Prime 16hd for my Innovative Marine 30L AIO. Seemed like the go-to light for this type of application other than Amazon Chinese stuff which can be a mixed bag.
I made a thread here about all the issues I had with them so I won’t get into that again.

I came across these new Current lights on Amazon and they sounded good on paper and I thought I’d try them out. Basically they’re great lights and everything the AI are not:
- Quiet (almost totally silent)
- Better color mixing with much less disco
- Easy and intuitive Loop App controller
- Legit moonlight option that looks natural (AI says it has moonlight, they do not)
- Sturdy construction with beefy heat sink and large fan

If anyone is in the market for a nano light, I’d definitely recommend these.
26DAE044-35EE-4FA9-9523-814B73478E2D.jpeg

4A7FFE1F-B6A6-4F5C-B7AF-7859ACEBE1BA.jpeg

7BBD3567-BAEC-4F3F-A2E1-032AD05D577A.jpeg

C502E1E6-006E-4D19-B918-9083A1C11320.jpeg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since these are new, and I have their orbit marine ic leds (hate them) . Would be nice to see how these new lights help with coral color and growth.

I agree.. I have an Orbit marine 48" strip over my 55.. while I love the controllability, I despise the low intensity. I am definitely looking for something better for my next light.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't like the light schedule. I would like more control over the day time light. Unless the blue tooth app adds that function. I don't think it does.
It seems you set the on and off times and it decides the rest.
Orbit marine is low intensity for FoWLR, but the IC is higher par and more towards reef. The pro is no longer made but can still be found on ebay. Which is the stronger par bar.
So, I this is an interesting topic for me.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woah never heard they made a dif light! LOVED the old orbit strip light on my 20 long. since it was shallow i was still pulling 120+ par on sandbed since it is mounted only a couple inches above surface. Keep us updated!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the light schedule. I would like more control over the day time light. Unless the blue tooth app adds that function. I don't think it does.
It seems you set the on and off times and it decides the rest.
Orbit marine is low intensity for FoWLR, but the IC is higher par and more towards reef. The pro is no longer made but can still be found on ebay. Which is the stronger par bar.
So, I this is an interesting topic for me.
You can adjust it based on time, channel and intensity but basically for four different times, sunrise daylight sunset and moonlight. Sunrise and sunset ramp up and down over an hour to the daylight settings and the moonlight setting.

Brinkers91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got this light for my 30 gallon tank. I do wish there was a little more customization with how long ramp up and down is and the daylight, but the way it works is good enough probably. I love how the light looks in the tank so far. My corals are still adjusting, but hopefully this light will be the difference my coral needed :)

OHReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a video of the light? Or a short review with the features?

I reached out to Current USA for videos of the light but haven't heard back.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say it's my lights for certain, but I don't think my IC Pros are capable of growing anything but softies and a few easier LPS. I've given up on the loop system.... 6 powerheads in 12 months and 2 sets of IC Pros that both shock me if I touch them with my arm in the water.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with the AI Prime 16hd for my Innovative Marine 30L AIO. Seemed like the go-to light for this type of application other than Amazon Chinese stuff which can be a mixed bag.
I made a thread here about all the issues I had with them so I won’t get into that again.

I came across these new Current lights on Amazon and they sounded good on paper and I thought I’d try them out. Basically they’re great lights and everything the AI are not:
- Quiet (almost totally silent)
- Better color mixing with much less disco
- Easy and intuitive Loop App controller
- Legit moonlight option that looks natural (AI says it has moonlight, they do not)
- Sturdy construction with beefy heat sink and large fan

If anyone is in the market for a nano light, I’d definitely recommend these.
26DAE044-35EE-4FA9-9523-814B73478E2D.jpeg

4A7FFE1F-B6A6-4F5C-B7AF-7859ACEBE1BA.jpeg

7BBD3567-BAEC-4F3F-A2E1-032AD05D577A.jpeg

C502E1E6-006E-4D19-B918-9083A1C11320.jpeg
Any update on your growth info on the lights been thinking on buying 2 of them eventually a 3rd on my 75g but wondering if it’ll beat the prime 16hd x3

OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on your growth info on the lights been thinking on buying 2 of them eventually a 3rd on my 75g but wondering if it’ll beat the prime 16hd x3
I had them 12” above the tank running a AB+ copy. Growth has been very slow though the sps remain colored up. I’ve recently lowered them to about 9 inches above the water line and bumped up the white to 75%. Honestly, there’s a big reason why the T5 hybrid fixtures are so popular. Small LED like these just don’t have the power.
I doubt the AI Prime 16 would be any different. On both you’ll need to run blue and white near 100% to get good PAR. The PAR ratings from the manufacturers are all channels at 100% to give you an idea. For the cost I still think they’re good lights and run quieter than the Prime but SPS growth is slow trying to mimic AB+ with low whites.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them 12” above the tank running a AB+ copy. Growth has been very slow though the sps remain colored up. I’ve recently lowered them to about 9 inches above the water line and bumped up the white to 75%. Honestly, there’s a big reason why the T5 hybrid fixtures are so popular. Small LED like these just don’t have the power.
I doubt the AI Prime 16 would be any different. On both you’ll need to run blue and white near 100% to get good PAR. The PAR ratings from the manufacturers are all channels at 100% to give you an idea. For the cost I still think they’re good lights and run quieter than the Prime but SPS growth is slow trying to mimic AB+ with low whites.
so you think the Primes will out perform in growth by running AB+ on max with the primes?

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone wants to know the weather function works on these lights now. It didn't work when I bought them but it does now not sure if the loop app was updated or not.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving these light and running them on 100% blue and 39% white giving a nice blue-pinkish color. Had some flow issues which pretty much bleached my candy cane but I can tell its slowly bouncing back. My anemone loves it with the flow hasn’t moved a bit since I recently added it. I’m interested in what other settings people are using.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back