I’m moving from California to Colorado

SerenityNow!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers.
Long time reader. First time posting. I just found out that I will be moving from SoCal to Denver this December. I have a 20 gallon tank. Live stock is just 2 clownfish and a cleaner shrimp. Corals include 6 assorted corals. Zoas, frogspawn and couple lps. 20lbs live rock. I can give you more details if you need it. For right now I just kind of want to know if it’s possible to take the corals and fish with me on the 2 day drive. I guess what I’m asking is if I was going to attempt to transport them along the drive from LA to Denver what equipment would I need. I’m assuming they’d be riding the back of my car in the trunk. I’m pessimistic about it and think I’ll probably have to sell back or donate the corals and fish. But if there’s a way there’s a will… wait…

77580419-DD50-4CE0-A98C-82A3001A1207.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% not hard to do and we've already logged about twenty of those jobs :) in our tank transfer thread. move it all in buckets with lids and small air vents,battery bait pumps from wal mart.

move sand separately from rocks and fish not along with them

for heating, buy a cheap inverter 12v off amazon and run a cheap tetra heater off walmart or amazon, now the heat stays even the whole time.

when you set it all back up, use no old water. use all new water, matching current temp and salinity.

the sand: no matter if you use the current, or buy new, you'd rinse it in tap water for two hours until its 200% clean.

final rinse in ro, now its ready for use. dont customize any aspect of the move and it'll go great.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can see that how you move the sand doesnt matter, we're about to blast it clean before setup anyway/

its in your rock transfer. as water sloshes around they'll cast off waste detritus so pre swish them in tank water as you take it down, you're trying to relocate 100% non cloudy rocks and they'll slosh clean the whole move, and nothing will go wrong.

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers.
Long time reader. First time posting. I just found out that I will be moving from SoCal to Denver this December. I have a 20 gallon tank. Live stock is just 2 clownfish and a cleaner shrimp. Corals include 6 assorted corals. Zoas, frogspawn and couple lps. 20lbs live rock. I can give you more details if you need it. For right now I just kind of want to know if it’s possible to take the corals and fish with me on the 2 day drive. I guess what I’m asking is if I was going to attempt to transport them along the drive from LA to Denver what equipment would I need. I’m assuming they’d be riding the back of my car in the trunk. I’m pessimistic about it and think I’ll probably have to sell back or donate the corals and fish. But if there’s a way there’s a will… wait…

77580419-DD50-4CE0-A98C-82A3001A1207.jpeg
First thing that come to my mind is temperature stability. It can get downright cold here in December. Plan on making your drive when there are no snowstorms, I-70 has multiple passes that can close down in a heartbeat.

Back