I’m moving to South Florida (Miami area) – Need some help!

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I hope this is the right section to ask for some help.

I’m moving down to the Miami area by the end of August for work and I’ll be working in the 33126 area.

I been looking for apartments online and I do plan to take a quick trip the first week of August to check some places however I don’t know what to expect so any advice of what neighbors I should check will be really appreciated it.

I hope to find a place where I can have a tank and sadly I’m going to shut down my Elos and currently selling all my livestock and one of my friends here in NYC is going to take my current set up but I hope to get back with a new set up soon once I get everything settle.

Also if anybody can recommend any LFS in the area will be awesome.

TIA

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing absolutely nothing about the Miami area, other than making a few trips for college football games, I can't offer too much help. Mostly commenting to try to get you out of the "Unanswered Posts" realm and offer some more exposure. I know we have a big Miami community on here.

Anyway, I googled your zip and it looks like you won't be working in too bad of a spot, with a couple of malls nearby. I think it might also help to say what type of neighborhood you want to live in if you're still looking for suggestions on that.

Killer Karma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in S. Florida and travel to Miami often. You are actually heading to an area with tons and I mean tons of lfs. Many of them get coral right off the boat and you can find some great deals. You are near/in Doral and traffic gets very heavy around the airport so I would try to stay away from there. The further west you are the better the traffic and more normal and less cramped neighborhoods you get. The further east, almost everything was built in the 1920's to 1960's and there is rarely enough parking. Also be prepared rents in Miami are much higher than anywhere else in the state.

Killer Karma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot, commuting is unavoidable in Miami so ideally pick somewhere close to the local interstates and get yourself an e-pass immediately you cannot live here without one. I-95 is almost un-drivable in Miami from 8-10 and 4 to 6, the Dolphin Expressway that runs along the airport is the road from hell, and do not go to Liberty City, Little Haiti, or just decide to walk around downtown Miami without knowing where you are going. Things to do in Miami, Miami Beach is actually pretty fun occasionally, there are tons of concerts, the food is incredible everywhere, little mom and pop stores that just blow you away with every cuisine in the world, and if you like fishing you are in for a treat. Best of all the Florida Keys are just a short trip away, my personal favorite is Marathon.

OP
OP
__Jreef__

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input @Killer Karma & @Tuffyyyyy

I'm going to take the drive next week and I'm going to stay in a friend's apartment in Fort Lauderale he did mention to get the Sun pass and he told me I can find it in the supermarket here in NY we call it EZ-Pass.

I have some areas in mind and I'm hoping to find something quick so I don't inconvenience my friend so let's see how that goes.
I'm looking for a quiet area and I don't mind driving around.

I been living in NYC area since 99 so this is a big adventure for me, I'm exited but scare at the same time but I hope for the best.

Killer Karma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input @Killer Karma & @Tuffyyyyy

I'm going to take the drive next week and I'm going to stay in a friend's apartment in Fort Lauderale he did mention to get the Sun pass and he told me I can find it in the supermarket here in NY we call it EZ-Pass.

I have some areas in mind and I'm hoping to find something quick so I don't inconvenience my friend so let's see how that goes.
I'm looking for a quiet area and I don't mind driving around.

I been living in NYC area since 99 so this is a big adventure for me, I'm exited but scare at the same time but I hope for the best.
Keep a positive attitude and you are going to love it down here. While Fl can be an odd mix of people there really is a ton to do and its great for the reef keeping hobby. Like I mentioned the more quiet areas of Miami are west, east gets kinda crazy. If you don't mind a commute to much you might even consider the Pembroke Pines/Weston areas. They are west along I-75 and much more quiet and friendly.

PSLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think ez pass and sun pass are compatible for the tolls here? I looked online at my ez pass from VA and it said it wouldn't work?

OP
OP
__Jreef__

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a positive attitude and you are going to love it down here. While Fl can be an odd mix of people there really is a ton to do and its great for the reef keeping hobby. Like I mentioned the more quiet areas of Miami are west, east gets kinda crazy. If you don't mind a commute to much you might even consider the Pembroke Pines/Weston areas. They are west along I-75 and much more quiet and friendly.

I'll add those areas to my apartment search list, I'm using this site apartment list . com and is very cool as well others.

Thanks for the advice and to cheer me out on this adventure.

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live in Pembroke Pines/Miramar area and work in Coral Gables.
Commute is fine during the summer, takes an hour during the school year.
EZ Pass is different than SunPass (which is Florida only). Get one though. Saves on Tolls.
Lots of good shops in the area, both south and north. If I could - I'd move back to Palmetto Bay. Great SFH there.

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in sunny isles beach, about a 45min drive from 33126. You got some great stores in that area, check out strictly fish. A lot of that area is very latin, so expect great food and loud neighbors (my moms side is cuban and they are the loudest partiers ive ever met).

Learn Spanish. You can certainly live fine here without it, but you get a ton of respect if you do know it!

As for areas to live, there are way to many to list off. The closer to the ocean you get, the more expensive it gets. The nice thing about miami is that the bad neighborhoods LOOK bad, very easy to spot. My favorite places are cities on the beach, sunny isles, surfside, miami beach, ect. There are a bunch of them and theyre usually safe and fun. If you can afford it and the commute isnt huge go for coastal!

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live in Pembroke Pines/Miramar area and work in Coral Gables.
Commute is fine during the summer, takes an hour during the school year.
EZ Pass is different than SunPass (which is Florida only). Get one though. Saves on Tolls.
Lots of good shops in the area, both south and north. If I could - I'd move back to Palmetto Bay. Great SFH there.
That's a long drive. I used to make the trip from Pembroke Pines to Kendall and I thought that was a long way.

OP
OP
__Jreef__

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I just want to take a moment to thank everyone who reply.
I'm finally in FL in my first week at work and I found a place in Hialeah what fits my needs, I'm going to take a break from reefing for now but I keep some of my equipment so I'm sure I'll be back soon.

I haven't visit any LFS but when I have a sometime I'll check the area if anybody have some recommendations please let me know.

TIA

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I'm finally in FL in my first week at work and I found a place in Hialeah what fits my needs, I'm going to take a break from reefing for now but I keep some of my equipment so I'm sure I'll be back soon.

I haven't visit any LFS but when I have a sometime I'll check the area if anybody have some recommendations please let me know.

TIA
I work in Fish Collection. Small, and tailored more for newbies, but still great with a great community!

Izcuacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

TIA

Hey; welcome.
If your in Hialeah check out Neptunes aquarium in Hialeah behind Westland mall.

They have a great coral selection and have always treated me great; small owner operated shop but they have very good prices.

OP
OP
__Jreef__

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in Fish Collection. Small, and tailored more for newbies, but still great with a great community!

Hey; welcome.

They have a great coral selection and have always treated me great; small owner operated shop but they have very good prices.

Thank you guys I'll check them out soon.

Neptunes Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey; welcome.

Here's the info.

Neptunes Aquariums
5329 West 20th Ave
Hialeah, Fl 33012
305-501-REEF

Thank you IZ

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

TIA

Exotic aquarium, cave aquarium and strictly fish... All within a mile of each other on bird road. Ping me and I'll go with you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back