I’m new and I need

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now. So I’m new to saltwater. I come from the planted tank side of the hobby and I’m not leaving the planted tank hobby, I just want to do saltwater as well.

I’m setting up a saddle puffer (or something like it) tank. I love puffers. In the freshwater/brackish world I always hear you can’t have enough filtration. I have a Seachem tidal 55, 35 and a Fluval 307 lying around. So whether or not I use a sump or a HOB protein skimmer, i was wondering for I could put any of those to use.

if I can put any of those to use on the saltwater tank which ones would you use and why?

thanks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll let others jump in with filtration recommendation for a puffer tank, but I want to say #WelcometoR2R!!!

@EmilyXLC

NeSsyAqua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! If it is just a fish only aquarium then I dont see any problems using those filtration that u have.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is It true canister filters need to be cleaned every 3-4 days with salt water

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the show,

usually you need the heavy filtration for puffers for the size most of them get and their potential to release toxins. I would ask first what size tank are you using, any other tank mates, and any other filters.

then we could get an idea.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would solely be a puffer tank. It would be something like a 40 breeder or a 55 gallon or even a 65 gallon. as for substrate I’m either gonna do sand or a bare bottom. I’ve done bare bottom before, only with axolotl’s. Not sure if the same applies in salt.

as of right now I am ordering a hob protein skimmer tonight and can either use a canister filter or a Seachem tidal 55 (if it’s the 40 breeder) or a Seachem 75 if it’s the 55 or 65gallon.

the only piece of equipment I have right now is a Aqamai KPM or S (the bigger one). I got it a while ago for a freshwater venture that never worked out and i have regretted the purschase. Maybe now I’ll find a use for it.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record I am looking at coral life, octo or Eshopps for the hob skimmer.

deftonead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters would work fine. Im not familiar with those but if you can, put biomedia in there. Like stated above if there is a filter pad in there it will probably need to be cleaned at least once a week. Puffers are really messy eaters so it with clog easily. And if there is carbon it will need to be changed once a month or you run the risk of it leaching back into the aquarium.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna fill canister with sponges to keep the water clean and possibly use a hob refugium with marine pure in it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back