I’m scaping a new tank my question is. What is the difference between using this “Dry Live rock” that was in a previous tank Vs. just plain dry rock?

Victor8923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m scaping a new tank my question is. What is the difference between using this “Dry Live rock” that was in a previous tank Vs. just plain dry rock? Is there any pros on cons on using either ?
53210FFA-3ADA-4CB8-8A26-25983FCA6B92.jpeg

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old dry rocks might have a lot of dead stuff on it unless you wash them out good

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a good acid bath for the rock or to cure it in a Rubbermaid tote for a month. It more than likely has organics deep in the pores. Curing and doing weekly 100% water changes will help. Cure it. Test po4. When it’s undetectable or super low your good to go.

OP
OP
Victor8923

Victor8923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a good acid bath for the rock or to cure it in a Rubbermaid tote for a month. It more than likely has organics deep in the pores. Curing and doing weekly 100% water changes will help. Cure it. Test po4. When it’s undetectable or super low your good to go.
I guess I’m better off just doing brand new dry rock then having to go through all that.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the "new" dry rock is artificial there is no reason to think it was not in a tank or ocean at some point soaking up organics. In either case your biggest risk is getting rock from a tank that previously was treated with copper.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to go through it any way, so save some cash and use your rock. You can do this in the tank and if po4 starts creeping up, do a massive water change. Using a tote saves a ton of water change water. your rock may not have any issues, but will still need to cycle. So would any new or new to you rock. I hope this helps. I’m looking forward to seeing your tank set up.

OP
OP
Victor8923

Victor8923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to go through it any way, so save some cash and use your rock. You can do this in the tank and if po4 starts creeping up, do a massive water change. Using a tote saves a ton of water change water. your rock may not have any issues, but will still need to cycle. So would any new or new to you rock. I hope this helps. I’m looking forward to seeing your tank set up.
So if I was to go with something like this I wouldn’t have to worry about po4 creeping up later on or any other pest and such.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. I've reused live rock that was killed by drying out along with local limestone and as far as I'm concerned they're indistinguishable performance wise. Corals and algae grow on them equally well. I would encourage you to use some maricultured live rock (there's multiple threads on this). It's the best source for lots of beneficial stuff that is essential for a healthy ref ecosystem. See AquaBiomics research here, in particular look at the differences between different types of rock in fig 10

OP
OP
Victor8923

Victor8923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. I've reused live rock that was killed by drying out along with local limestone and as far as I'm concerned they're indistinguishable performance wise. Corals and algae grow on them equally well. I would encourage you to use some maricultured live rock (there's multiple threads on this). It's the best source for lots of beneficial stuff that is essential for a healthy ref ecosystem. See AquaBiomics research here, in particular look at the differences between different types of rock in fig 10
Only reason I wanted to use that rock is cause a buddy is giving me a good deal on it, but don’t want to have some problems later on, so I’m thinking of just buying new DRY rock from BRS

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I was to go with something like this I wouldn’t have to worry about po4 creeping up later on or any other pest and such.

You should not have to worry about it. If the rock is leaching in a small tub, you change 100% of the water, then the rock may leach again. 100% Chang of water again. Repeat Weekly, Until almost undetectable. Get a Hanna ultra low phosphorus checker and extra reagents. I feel new Marco rock may go through some of this also, but I’m not sure. Also the recommendation for some real live rock out of Florida is a good one. Get some to seed the tank. Really any choice you make will not be wrong. It just may take a bit of work or time.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I wanted to use that rock is cause a buddy is giving me a good deal on it, but don’t want to have some problems later on, so I’m thinking of just buying new DRY rock from BRS
Since you are getting a good deal, use it and dont waste money on rock from BRS. Bleach bath will kill everything in it and on it. In about week or 2 with minimal work you will have exact same rock as one you will be paying a lot more from BRS.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back