I’m so confused on what quarantine regimen I need

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to treat all my fish for ich, velvet, internal parasites/worms, and brook.

The thing is that I don’t want to use formaldehyde. My fish are my pets, and I don’t feel comfortable adding something while I’m wearing masks, gloves, and a biohazard suit to prevent myself from getting cancer. I also cannot shorten my lifespan for a fish tank.

So what do I use to treat brook?

I can use copper, TTM, H2O2, praziquantel, Metroplex. Anything but formalin. I believe that fish’s lifespan will be shortened if medicated with formalin. I don’t have research to back that claim…but it says it’s a carcinogen on the bottle!

What’s my treatment plan? @Jay Hemdal

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to treat all your fish for something they might not have. Sounds a bit like overkill.
I would do the TTM then look for the other diseases and treat if required.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to treat all your fish for something they might not have. Sounds a bit like overkill.
I would do the TTM then look for the other diseases and treat if required.
This sounds smart. I was going insane because of how many different medications I would need to use.

I think I will treat with copper for 30 days for ich and velvet. Is brook easily spotted? I’m worried that I won’t be able to catch the brook within 2 weeks after treatment

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no copper needed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW bath or dip. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank.
As mentioned- assure its brook. If velvet, this is a whole different ballgame and requires quarantine plus assure medication used also treat Oodinum.
best to post pics if you notice something and if its for prevention, coppersafe generally a good start.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to treat all my fish for ich, velvet, internal parasites/worms, and brook.

The thing is that I don’t want to use formaldehyde. My fish are my pets, and I don’t feel comfortable adding something while I’m wearing masks, gloves, and a biohazard suit to prevent myself from getting cancer. I also cannot shorten my lifespan for a fish tank.

I can use copper, TTM, H2O2, praziquantel, Metroplex. Anything but formalin. I believe that fish’s lifespan will be shortened if medicated with formalin. I don’t have research to back that claim…but it says it’s a carcinogen on the bottle!

You've seen my current quarantine protocol? It is the first post here:

I haven't seen Brooklynella in any fish myself since I stopped buying wild caught clownfish 20+ years ago. We still see it on tank raised clowns here, but true Brook is pretty rare. The two big issues are Cryptocaryon/ich and flukes. Even velvet is rarer to see, and I often see severe ich infections misdiagnosed as velvet. TTM doesn't work well for flukes or velvet.

Jay

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let's be honest here, I think most chemicals in use at certain concentrations are going to have health concerns.

Formalin doesn't require a biohazard suit. Just proper care and handling. Copper is toxic to humans at certain levels.

Use purpose-made products according to their directions and safety protocol and you should be just fine.

The best quarantine system you can use is the one that you Will use. There are many.

Back