I’m so new, I don’t know what I don’t know!

OP
OP
drino

drino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Drino, Sounds like You have done some serious research ! Keep in mind you will get a"lot" of differing opinions. Try not to get caught up in it all .Make note of the ones that make sense to you.
If all works out,let us know what type of equipment (make & size etc) & we love pics ! You gonna have fun !

Thank you! I love opinions - they make me consider other options! Appreciate the wise words!

OP
OP
drino

drino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

1) I would not cleanse
2) Carbon isn’t bad as long as it’s not dusty (causes HLLe) — it’s good for buffering in case of contaminants
3) Chaeto after cycle it needs dirtier water, as it feeds on the “nasties” in the water.
4) BioSpira and Dr Tim’s are my go-to for bacteria additives!
5) Nope

Keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

Thank you so much! Appreciate the guidance! Makes sense.

OP
OP
drino

drino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @drino

I would probably just use new sand if you're going to use real live rock. If you do use the old sand, the main reason would be for valuable hitch hikers like bristle worms, etc. You would have plenty of bacteria from the live rock. Bacterial additives can both speed the cycling process and maybe add some biodiversity. If you are patient though you can cycle a tank with dry rock and no additives.

The only difference between a FOWLR and a reef is ....well ...corals. The hard part is waiting until your water quality is good and stable.

For QTing coral you "just" need a small, cycled tank with appropriate lighting, flow and filtration. Dip all corals (do some more research, there are several options on what to use and how to use it).

Above all continue your research and plan each addition. Impulse buys rarely turn out well. Plan to add fish and coral that are compatible with each other!

Thanks for the advice! Good call on the sand. I flip flopped over deep vs shallow sand vs bare bottom. I’ll do some more reading there - seems like a lively discussion. :) Appreciate the QT advice. I guess I’ll have lots of time to plan each fish, cleaner and coral while patiently cycling. I’m still at the ‘ooooh PRETTY’ stage when looking at fish and coral. Long road ahead!

OP
OP
drino

drino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Best additional advice I can give is stay patient and when things seem off do not panic.

Thank you! This is good advice. Remember to breathe and let nature take her time. It's nice to know there are experienced folks here who can ID and advise on steps to take if needed. Big 'ole safety net!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back