I’m starting to realize that I don’t know what I’m doing Biocube 32

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a thanks to the coolest community around!

anyways- I’m still pretty new to this and I’m really trying to understand my filtration system in my Biocube 32. So I watched a couple YouTube videos (so I know everything lol) and decided to combined them all and toss it in the back. I just purchased the intank media basket and fuge basket and should be here in a couple days.
Anyways I have been watching a lot of the BRS videos and noticed that I’m probably being redundant in many aspects
5B318183-A51D-4714-B1DC-60EC4CFAC502.jpeg

I had planned on using these along with the fuge (chaeto algae). But now I’m seeing that the vibrant will probably kill my algae and these all look like it’s for the same thing.
I plan on having mostly corals in the tank along with a few fish and my goal was to try and prevent the ugly stage. However I feel like I’m just tossing money out the window with these products.
Am I wrong? Do I need to use these with each other?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably get different answers by here's my 2 cents:

1) Seachem matrix is good, i'd use it. Its meant to act as your biofilter by 'housing' good bacteria in the tank which converts/consumes waste and nutrients.

2) I've never used chemipure, but have heard really good things about it. I'd personally keep it on hand for now and only use it if you were having a phosphate or silicate issue and you're actively trying to lower either. Having that said - I wouldn't use it until you have actually tested and measured either of those nutrients and decide that you actually need to use it.

3) Regarding Vibrant, you'll hear mixed reviews, albeit I think mostly positive. I used it for the first few months of my tank and I totally skipped the uglies stage. Pretty good stuff in my opinion.

However, once I started stocking my tank with more corals, I stopped using it (no reason really) and never used it again. Some people use it ongoing and report no issues long term. However, if you do use it, know that you won't be able to use it with Chaeto.

I am of the opinion now that I'd rather use a fuge to control my nitrates and phosphates versus using GFO (like chemipure) or bacteria supplement (like vibrant).

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Embrace the ugly stage, the more you try to avoid it, the harder it will be to achieve a stable tank.

agree it’s all part of the process. I think it actually helps.

I would keep it simple, you are over thinking it.

all you need is some filter floss and carbon for starters, get up and running then add maybe some, Purigen or chemipure blue if you want to combine the carbon and purigen into one bag.

I would not add the fuge basket yet until you are more sure what you are doing, if at all, you could change your mind.

With a nano, water changes are the main way you keep things stable, one of the reasons big tanks have all the equipment is because water changes on big tanks cost a lot and are time consuming, don’t feel you are missing out, you have the luxury of just changing a bit of water to get where you need to be in most cases.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t technically need the matrix because thats just surface area for bacteria and your rock will take care of that. You can put in in your rear chambers if you wanted to use it.

Don’t use the chemi pure elite unless you can test for phosphate. It contains gfo and can strip the tank if you are already low in phosphate. Definitely don’t want that. They make Chemi Pure “Blue” which is just carbon. You can use that to keep the water clear if you want. Just change it often.

Vibrant is great stuff but unless you have a persistent algae issue I wouldn’t use it. However I have heard of people doing “maintenance” dosing to keep algae from growing. Still if your tank is new I wouldn’t use the product just yet. Get a good clean up crew first and work from there.

Good luck!

OP
OP
moorjames

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m trying to accomplish: since this is my first tank- I’m really trying to understand not only the chemistry- but i also just want what’s best for the fish.
So I’d like to keep the tank as close to nature and able to keep it stable for the fish and coral. I don’t plan on having advance level anything- and I already plan on doing weekly water changes. I have about 25 gallons in the tank so I’ll do 2.5-5 gallon changes.
i always do this- overthink or go to far in the preventive before anything actually happens. So now I’m ready to keep it simple. If I wasted money- that’s fine. But The fuge seems like a tool that I’d like to use so I want to make sure it’s doing the best job it can.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with having a few things on hand and being prepared.
I have a biocube 32 that I'm setting back up. In my inTank media basked I have the bio media I use in a mesh back in the bottom chamber. On top I use some cut poly blanket batting. Way cheaper than buying the rolls that are labeled for aquarium, same stuff just cheaper... I change it out 2-3 times a week. The middle I use if I need to run anything for whatever reason, Chemi, carbon, etc.

The ugly stage can be quite frustrating in the BC32 specially under stock lighting. I'd recommend adjusting the white light on time down some when your initial brown stage starts, depending on how many hours you're running them. Like others suggested, probably a good idea to hold off on adding Chaeto, and keep that Vibrant on hand!

Good luck, and enjoy!

OP
OP
moorjames

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually- I haven’t even turned my lights on yet. I just put my first fish in 2 days ago- a surgeon tang (baby) because it can attack the algae once it starts. I’m not gonna keep it long term in there- I know tangs need bigger tanks as they grow but wanted a utility guy for now. I’ll probably add a couple clowns in the next couple weeks before I turn my lights on. Haven’t decided on the route I want to go- either topless with an AI light or Steve’s leds with lid. But as you can see- I’m just trying to attack the algae stage even before it starts

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to control the ugly stage you need to keep silicates (in the sand for example) and phosphate in check from day 1 You don’t need to have an ugly stage its 2021

I did this in my new system with rowaphos (GFO) and as someone said to me which has always made me smile, ’we skipped the ugly stage and went straight to the prize’ Lol

Get your nitrates up as quick as you can to around 5 by leaving the skimmer off if you have one until you hit that number and again you will avoid many problems associated with zero levels

Don't add the matrix until you have nitrates at around 5. I now have 56 litres of matrix in place for example but it wasn’t added until much later when required

I would also stay clear of vibrant and any other chemicals for the time being

You may need to scale things back down because of the water volume but this may give you a guide as to what you can do

Last edited:

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually- I haven’t even turned my lights on yet. I just put my first fish in 2 days ago- a surgeon tang (baby) because it can attack the algae once it starts. I’m not gonna keep it long term in there- I know tangs need bigger tanks as they grow but wanted a utility guy for now. I’ll probably add a couple clowns in the next couple weeks before I turn my lights on. Haven’t decided on the route I want to go- either topless with an AI light or Steve’s leds with lid. But as you can see- I’m just trying to attack the algae stage even before it starts
Don't need a Tang in a BioCube to take care of algae, get one of a handful of blennys. Better suited to the size of the tank and task at hand. Honestly, a tang in a cube is just... sad... ;Inpain

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use matrix in all my tanks, but I start too many new tanks and find this the be a great way to quickly cycle a new tank and would rather steal some matrix than some of the live rock.

I use chemi pure in all my tanks.... not sure if it helps but for some reason gives me comfort.

One of the hardest lessons I have learned in this hobby is that empty space in AIO or sump is not a bad thing in fact it is great to have in case you have a problem you need to address, I liked to try to address problems before they were even problems which is a good way to loose money.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back