I’m thinking about starting a 1000 gal system

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you can beat a big beckett once your water volume starts getting in the 4 and 5 digit gallons. unless you need quit, they are loud so you need a filter closet/room or basement sump

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you can beat a big beckett once your water volume starts getting in the 4 and 5 digit gallons. unless you need quit, they are loud so you need a filter closet/room or basement sump
Sound is a big consideration. There will be a fish room but I’m not counting on it to do a very good job of containing noise. This needs further thought.

I do want it to be quiet so I don’t hear all the equipment. May need to consider sound proofing the room but wouldn’t know where to begin.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got quotes on some tanks. Going to need a contractor to transform a theater room into a fish room. It will be a slow process

acrylic 1.5” thick - 8x5x3 - 23.5
acrylic 1.0” thick - 8x5x2.5 - 10.5

glass low-e 8x5x3 - 13.5
glass low-e 8x5x2.5” -10

the 1.5” acrylic is double the glass price and double the 30” acrylic tank.

haven’t decided yet. Onward

Last edited:

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got quotes on some tanks. Going to need a contractor to transform a theater room into a fish room.

acrylic 1.5” thick - 8x5x3
acrylic 1.0” thick - 8x5x2.5

glass low-e 8x5x3
glass low-e 8x5x2.5”

the 1.5” acrylic is double the glass price and the 30” acrylic tank.

haven’t decided yet. Onward
Howdy and Congrats on the large scale adventure!

Hope you’ll consider TBS to provide the rock and sand. Monster builds are some of our favorites! We focus the dive on 1 tank and harvest extra large pieces growing on the farm that only work for large scale systems. When you get to the point of deciding on rock & sand reach out for a quote.

Regarding large acrylic tanks/sumps, if you are looking outside California, I can dm you a recommendation to add to your comparisons.

Rock on.
Wen

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update from today.

Plumbing - I had the plumber come out and give me a quote for the fish room to run a sink and water line. pretty straight forward and would be “a few grand”

we discussed putting a floor drain but didn’t get to a quote. Being on slab would need to raise the floor about a foot to have enough slope. I’m opting against a drain and interested if anyone has any other ideas? I’m of the mind set the water on the floor is probably the least of my worries since it will be polished concrete

Electric- I noticed my local electrician at my neighbors house and had him come give me a quote for 3-20 amp circuits to run to the fish room. He said “ couple grand”. We discussed a full generator setup with automatic transfer switch which I would like to have eventually when the tank is running. I have two generators that could run this size tank now if I just ran the pumps, internet, heater etc. no lights though. 10-15k estimate. Good investment before the tank is really established ( which won’t be for at least a year after it’s built).

Permitting - not something I was going to consider until the electrician mentioned that if there was a failure and the tank busted the insurance company wouldn’t cover if it wasn’t permitted properly. gotta love California. in Order for permitting I would need to employ an engineer to draw up the plans. Not really looking forward to this and open to hearing how this process could be streamlined?

Contractor -
have a contractor coming out tomorrow to give me a quote to frame out the tank. I will do the rest just don’t want to mess with the drywall

Fishroom - as mentioned I need to turn this theater room into the fish room. The tank basically fits in between the two windows if you removed the center. It’s an in-wall build so we will only see the front pane. Kinda a shame but the depth will look sweet.

I’m also torn if the tank should be flush to the front of the wall or setback? if it’s set to the front of the wall how do clean the glass for those 6” where the wall is?

image.jpg

that’s it for now.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Permitting? California? Yeah good luck with that. You will end up opening a can of worms that you will never stuff back. Almost guarantee they will treat your project like a zoo and require annual grey water and waste permitting and plans, structural engineering, a reinforced slab, animal permits and regular inspections, licenses, etc.

A couple grand for a few branch circuits is too much.
Plumbing a couple grand is too much of the drain lateral or sewer stack is close by.
floor drains would be nice, but would require trenching. I wouldn’t build up the floor.
A a 22kw generator installed should run 10k or a bit less. You need to decide if it is whole house or just the aquarium. If just the aquarium and a few other circuits you could get away with a 10kw or smaller and a save a few grand.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Permitting? California? Yeah good luck with that. You will end up opening a can of worms that you will never stuff back. Almost guarantee they will treat your project like a zoo and require annual grey water and waste permitting and plans, structural engineering, a reinforced slab, animal permits and regular inspections, licenses, etc.

A couple grand for a few branch circuits is too much.
Plumbing a couple grand is too much of the drain lateral or sewer stack is close by.
floor drains would be nice, but would require trenching. I wouldn’t build up the floor.
A a 22kw generator installed should run 10k or a bit less. You need to decide if it is whole house or just the aquarium. If just the aquarium and a few other circuits you could get away with a 10kw or smaller and a save a few grand.
Bean do you live in Cali? So no permitting? I could live with that.

the plumber didn’t give much detail but the run would be over 15’. I guess I need a second opinion and have someone else come out.

If I did a trench that would be cutting into the foundation and wouldn’t feel comfortable with that without a permit.

I suppose I should get a second quote for my electric too. How much should it cost?

looks like the generator quote was about right. I’m not going to do that immediately and need to figure out if I want the hole house. It would be nice to have the AC added because the only time the power goes out is when it’s hot.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bean do you live in Cali? So no permitting? I could live with that.
No I do not Liv in CA. But government there is out of control and your project is the poster child for misapplication of laws and intent. The fact that a contractor thinks you should get a permit for an aquarium as all you need to know. Permits for electrical or plumbing, sure, if you must, but I would call it a utility room and not mention an a 1000 gallon aquarium.
the plumber didn’t give much detail but the run would be over 15’. I guess I need a second opinion and have someone else come out.
Always, and don’t mention the other bid.

If I did a trench that would be cutting into the foundation and wouldn’t feel comfortable with that without a permit.
The slab is not the foundation…. But yes a permit would likely be a good idea.

I suppose I should get a second quote for my electric too. How much should it cost?
depends on how far away the panel is and if they need to fish wires or cut/repair drywall. Get multiple quotes.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
posted this in the diy.

can someone point me in the right direction on how to design a stand that will hold and is structurally sound.

something I’m considering is creating a catwalk around the stand to get into the tank.

thanks for the help

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not Liv in CA. But government there is out of control and your project is the poster child for misapplication of laws and intent. The fact that a contractor thinks you should get a permit for an aquarium as all you need to know. Permits for electrical or plumbing, sure, if you must, but I would call it a utility room and not mention an a 1000 gallon aquarium.

Politics aside permits will depend on city. Aquarium, inside home, probably doesn't need a permit as you noted. Attaching something to the house, HVAC, and things like that need permits. Different permits at that. One starts talking electrical, foundation, and what not - again a call to the city planning department saves one a huge headache if one sells the home. Again - you touched upon it. Doesn't matter if it is Ca or NY.

Before starting any large aquarium or buying a German Shepherd Dog, or similar high risk animal a call to ones insurance is wise. I would say common sense, but, most people it escapes their mind. Home owners insurance will vary. Call current, call others. You will be surprised.

Lastly I'll say this - this size project if it isn't something the hobbyist is comfortable with then I'd recommend talking to a professional installer and/or architect. Both even. They know the local codes or would know who to follow up with. Talking about the size and scope money isn't going to be an issue. If it is then this will be a good time to reduce scope and plan something smaller.

1,000 gallons is a lot of water so if you are not incorporating redundancy and fail safes then you already failed to reach low earth orbit.

Bean I know I replied to you but it is more just a ramble. I find large builds interesting because simple things or common sense things are often overlooked. Ca, solar generation window, battery bank, cost of water, supplies, etc.

Fun times.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Politics aside permits will depend on city. Aquarium, inside home, probably doesn't need a permit as you noted. Attaching something to the house, HVAC, and things like that need permits. Different permits at that. One starts talking electrical, foundation, and what not - again a call to the city planning department saves one a huge headache if one sells the home. Again - you touched upon it. Doesn't matter if it is Ca or NY.

Before starting any large aquarium or buying a German Shepherd Dog, or similar high risk animal a call to ones insurance is wise. I would say common sense, but, most people it escapes their mind. Home owners insurance will vary. Call current, call others. You will be surprised.

Lastly I'll say this - this size project if it isn't something the hobbyist is comfortable with then I'd recommend talking to a professional installer and/or architect. Both even. They know the local codes or would know who to follow up with. Talking about the size and scope money isn't going to be an issue. If it is then this will be a good time to reduce scope and plan something smaller.

1,000 gallons is a lot of water so if you are not incorporating redundancy and fail safes then you already failed to reach low earth orbit.

Bean I know I replied to you but it is more just a ramble. I find large builds interesting because simple things or common sense things are often overlooked. Ca, solar generation window, battery bank, cost of water, supplies, etc.

Fun times.
Thanks for the feedback

The goal is to setup a system that will be functional, sustainable and have as many fail safes as possible.

i need to determine if having a floor drain is 100% necessary many large systems decide to go without and them so I assume it’s a conscious decision.

I will be doing all the diy once the electric and water line is brought in.

lots of planning to be done.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For filtration I Want to do a large fuge. I was looking at these hatchery vessels. Could this work?

Fiberglass Tank with Window - 270 gal - 72 x 36 x 24​

10538B46-7658-4F59-87FB-FA0554116022.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m in the initial planning stage of a 600 gal DT 1000 gal system.8x5x27”. The tank will be an in-wall viewing the front and left side. will have a fish room, currently a theater room. I expect the build out to be in two years, give or take.

I’ve made a punch list of equipment needs. See below.

I ran a power consumption based on specific pieces of equipment and it looks like roughly 2600 kilowatts per month. Does that sound right? see my screen shot below.

very Open to feedback and suggestions. What am I missing?

F666C4BE-2FCF-48C1-BE70-3633FAE31E91.png
3CDD1FAC-F803-4348-931F-7E12CFC4E7FC.jpeg

ItemCost
  • Tank 8x5x2 600 gal
  • Low iron glass or acrylic
  • External overflow
  • Stand custom
  • Sump royal exclusive dreambox custom
  • Fuge 100 gal
  • Grow out/ frag tank -30x30x8 30gal
  • QT x3 racking system. 40 gal breeders
  • Return pump abyss a400
  • Skimmer bubble king 400 outside air intake
  • Flow mp60 x4 9kx4
  • Heaters 300 watt x 4
  • Ozone
  • UV
  • Lighting radion and t5 x10
  • Lighting for grow out tank?
  • Lighting for fuge kessil
  • Apex full program. trident dos x3
  • Automatic water change system
  • Reactors x4
  • Water change station - 300 gallon minimum each
  • Chiller?
  • RoDi unit 200+ per day
  • Dosing station
  • Kalkwasser station.
Total equipment costs.50980
Live stuff
  • Live rock for DT 200 lbs
  • Live rock for fuge 300 lbs
  • Sand special grade 283lbs
Maintenance stuff
  • Under tank lighting
  • Determine electric bill calculator
  • Humidifier/air exchange
  • Generator transfer switch
  • Separate breakers x3 pumps lights heaters
  • Sink
  • Work table
  • Floor drain
Having large tanks, Consumption sounds about right. My chiller alone ran the bill up about 38/mo. Now its about $24

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having large tanks, Consumption sounds about right. My chiller alone ran the bill up about 38/mo. Now its about $24
Yep. Planning around 30-45 kw per day.

any thoughts on the stand for this size tank. I looked at the old RC thread but want to be sure it’s structural sound.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yep. Planning around 30-45 kw per day.

any thoughts on the stand for this size tank. I looked at the old RC thread but want to be sure it’s structural sound.
Recommended- Welded steel bur strong braced wood with Plywood top also adequate

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back