I’m worried about my nem

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m a new fish keeper in this hobby and made the stupid mistake of getting an aneneme just a month and a half after I setup my aquarium, my aquarium is about 2 and a half months old now, and I think my unstable environment is stressing the poor guy, he seems to have a strong foothold onto the rock for now, and he appears to have the strength to move around a little, he definitely looks like he trying to shield away from my light, I’m very worried he’s gonna cause a tank crash by getting sucked up into my power head, I have some other coral which seems to be doing fine, 3 zoas, a Duncan, and a mushroom, my nitrates are a bit high at 20 ppm, I should do another water change, I don’t think he has any bacterial infection, it’s note worthy that when I first got him, my terrible pep shrimp practically devastated him, the tore his tentacles off, nip a little bit of his foot, I think his foot has healed, and his tentacles are slowly coming back, I’m just don’t want him to die, he was pretty expensive for me at 75 bucks for a guy that’s a little over an inch
61CD1388-CF39-4505-928F-D4FBA3AB9ADA.jpeg

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, I’d reduce the flow to help it relax. You obviously want some- but don’t blow it away. If you can, maybe try turning the lights down a bit if it seems to be hiding from them, or try re-situating the rocks so it’s farther down in the water column. What size is the tank? Temp, salinity and ph?

OP
OP
R

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, I’d reduce the flow to help it relax. You obviously want some- but don’t blow it away. If you can, maybe try turning the lights down a bit if it seems to be hiding from them, or try re-situating the rocks so it’s farther down in the water column. What size is the tank? Temp, salinity and ph?
Is a 20 gallon high, he’s already pretty low in the water column, temp is 79, salinity is 1.025, and ph is lower than I thought it would be at 7.4, yikes I mean this tank is in my basement

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a 20 gallon high, he’s already pretty low in the water column, temp is 79, salinity is 1.025, and ph is lower than I thought it would be at 7.4, yikes I mean this tank is in my basement
I’d say the pH is definitely affecting it. I’d fix that ASAP- I’d do a water change, get the nitrate down, then add in a basic supplement to help the pH. Is it rimless or topless?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, if I added baking soda would that help?
Yes, that could raise the pH, but I think it temporarily drops the pH before raising it (just read it online) so I would be very cautious. I would only do it as a last resort if you’re unable to do the water change and get pH additives today.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of bad information here. Nitrates of 20 or even 120 are not a problem for BTAs. Nitrate is a food source for them. One reason they typically do not do well in new tanks is due to no nitrates.
Anemones are light loving. So do not adjust your lights or move it lower in the tank. If it was getting to much light it can retract or move out of the light. You photo does not show the whole anemone. Can you post better one?
I also doubt it is getting too much flow, unless the flow is directly at it. Again it would move if that was the case.
Your PH is low, but you do not want to add baking soda without knowing your Alkalinity levels at a minimum. Preferably your magnesium levels as well. If your Alkalinity is in the 8-10 range you do not want to be adding baking soda. If it is below 8 you would be better adding baked baking soda in some Ro/di water to raise the PH and Alkalinity.
If your Alkalinity is ok you probably have excessive CO2 in your basement. If you have a skimmer feed it with an airline from outside to see if you PH increases.
Good luck!

OP
OP
R

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of bad information here. Nitrates of 20 or even 120 are not a problem for BTAs. Nitrate is a food source for them. One reason they typically do not do well in new tanks is due to no nitrates.
Anemones are light loving. So do not adjust your lights or move it lower in the tank. If it was getting to much light it can retract or move out of the light. You photo does not show the whole anemone. Can you post better one?
I also doubt it is getting too much flow, unless the flow is directly at it. Again it would move if that was the case.
Your PH is low, but you do not want to add baking soda without knowing your Alkalinity levels at a minimum. Preferably your magnesium levels as well. If your Alkalinity is in the 8-10 range you do not want to be adding baking soda. If it is below 8 you would be better adding baked baking soda in some Ro/di water to raise the PH and Alkalinity.
If your Alkalinity is ok you probably have excessive CO2 in your basement. If you have a skimmer feed it with an airline from outside to see if you PH increases.
Good luck!
Yeah so my alkalinity is at 11, so no baking soda, my ph seems to be doing better at like 8, I think my other test was faulty, it was api, and I’ve done other tests and it seems a little bit better, since I’ve posted though, a lot has happened to my nem, he starting to look healthier, he’s bubbling up more, and he seems to be slowly adjusting to my light and I think, don’t want to jinx myself, but I think he’ll survive

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.1%
Back