I’ve discovered how to identify stressed or sensitive SPS

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve determined through thoughtful negligence of not testing phosphates regularly that if you up your carbon dosing scheme you can identity which corals are already stressed or just sensitive because they will RTN like crazy!

cool ... not

After noticing that first montipora polyps would retract at when I dosed carbon chain I backed off dosing but not before losing two torts.

I measured phosphates and sure enough they were 0.01 on Hanna ULR. Phosphate reading 2 weeks ago was 0.06

If you to want to find your sensitive corals or just want to stress them out then just quickly drop phosphates to near zero. Works great!

On the plus side I now know the tough, super resilient SPS like slimer that’s still branching, fluorescent green and happy.

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations other than backing of carbon dosing and feeding my tank how to safely get phosphates back to normal and allow corals to adjust?

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why were you carbon dosing?
Great question. I was dosing 1ml of RedSea NO3:pO4-X in my 25G lagoon with total water volume of 35G three months ago because phosphates were 0.08 and was getting hair algae. Mechanically removing hair algae plus dropping phosphates helped tremendously.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate nopox with sps
I use lanthium chloride to drop phosphates but only if they get above 0.35
DDF57AE5-1CC8-4CEC-BE7E-3E4FDDF50641.jpeg
8777D182-CAF7-4747-9276-E9112E523651.jpeg
9C6B5045-1FC5-404E-B2A9-F5003F77758E.jpeg
3226D2DC-A2C7-4331-A3FC-D992CBDA9C1E.jpeg
9F079F32-5138-4B36-B5F0-64937F5606E5.jpeg
DDFC1584-9B23-4379-B21D-B130D7065D9C.jpeg

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great polyp extension Charles. I’ve stopped dosing carbon, turned off skimmer and fed tank and will watch tank for a couple days to let phosphates come back a littl

‘I hate nopox with SPS’

Any particular reason why?

I’ve always had measurable phosphates because I also like fish and normally fish + SPS = good color. I brought phosphates down to control algae but was probably bad decision. I’d rather have a little algae and healthy corals.

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. I was dosing 1ml of RedSea NO3:pO4-X in my 25G lagoon with total water volume of 35G three months ago because phosphates were 0.08 and was getting hair algae. Mechanically removing hair algae plus dropping phosphates helped tremendously.
I’ve carbon dosed and used nopox with no issues. You are welcome to check out my corals on my site as a reference. So you were trying to remove hair algae? That’s why you carbon Dosed this system?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great polyp extension Charles. I’ve stopped dosing carbon, turned off skimmer and fed tank and will watch tank for a couple days to let phosphates come back a littl

‘I hate nopox with SPS’

Any particular reason why?

I’ve always had measurable phosphates because I also like fish and normally fish + SPS = good color. I brought phosphates down to control algae but was probably bad decision. I’d rather have a little algae and healthy corals.
I hate it bc it caused Stn on all my Tenuis
I stopped nopox/carbon dosing and the Stn stopped.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve determined through thoughtful negligence of not testing phosphates regularly that if you up your carbon dosing scheme you can identity which corals are already stressed or just sensitive because they will RTN like crazy!

cool ... not

After noticing that first montipora polyps would retract at when I dosed carbon chain I backed off dosing but not before losing two torts.

I measured phosphates and sure enough they were 0.01 on Hanna ULR. Phosphate reading 2 weeks ago was 0.06

If you to want to find your sensitive corals or just want to stress them out then just quickly drop phosphates to near zero. Works great!

On the plus side I now know the tough, super resilient SPS like slimer that’s still branching, fluorescent green and happy.
Not any scale for judging SPS health.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back