OP
S

Swalve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is just a little more tasty when you add salt ;Smuggrin

I would look carefully at the rock. It looks like it's resting on top of the sand, which means if ever you have a critter that burrows underneath the rock, it could get squashed. Maybe also consider another piece of rock or two. Just those two pieces don't seem like enough. Maybe if you find a flat piece you can build an arch?

I’ve got 4 big chunks of epoxy under the rocks so they don’t fall or move at all. I heard horror stories about gobys getting squished and I’ve got a watchman in there. My other question would be, how would I wash some old live rock. It looks pretty dirty and it’s a good size piece. I was going to add it but I have no idea how it was stored.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
4DE30E9C-7E59-4205-986E-6B85F92A381E.gif

OP
OP
S

Swalve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Feels like this is going to be a fun group to be a part of

That being said, does anyone have suggestions on any new coral or fish additions for the tank? I’m not going to fully stock it but I feel like I could add another fish or two, same with coral, and not have too much of a problem. Try to keep them on the easier side given my time in the saltwater division of the hobby

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 4 big chunks of epoxy under the rocks so they don’t fall or move at all. I heard horror stories about gobys getting squished and I’ve got a watchman in there. My other question would be, how would I wash some old live rock. It looks pretty dirty and it’s a good size piece. I was going to add it but I have no idea how it was stored.

There's a few ways to clean rock, but mostly depends how bad things are. If you're not sure how it was stored, it may have been in a garage or basement where it was open to fumes, chemicals, mice, bugs and who knows what else.

Here's the list of techniques that I'm aware of. You can do a little searching for more details on the how-to for each:

If it's mostly just organic debris, curing it in a bucket of saltwater with a heater and a powerhead will break down the debris, which provides an ammonia source, which means - bonus, the rock comes out cycled at the end of 2 months ready to drop in the tank as part of your biofilter.

If there's live things on a rock that you want dead, like various algaes, anemones or palythoas some people do a bleach soak, followed by a freshwater dechlorinator soak, followed by a few weeks in saltwater. Bleach neutralizes palytoxin, so if ever you need to get rid of an unwated zoa colony or palythoas that grew out of control that's the way to go.

If there's stains, suspected chemical or other contaminants, some people go with a muriatic acid bath to burn off the outer layer of rock. That's also faster than simple curing for organic debris on dry formerly live rock, but hazardous and needs to be done outdoors.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back