I’ve gotten myself into a right mess, help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
ReefPig

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote the OP a month ago, at the time I was dosing 0.9ml Alk/Mg and 0.1ml Ca and it was incredibly unstable.

Thought I'd take a few minutes to write an update, if others are having similar issues, this may, or may not, help you.

I spoke to quite a few people about what may have been the cause of my issue and the best conclusion we came to was that likely due to copper and mercury in the tank previously, my corals had basically stalled out and just stopped doing anything, likely close to death.

Someone asked me what my PH was and I said at night it dropped to 7.9 and peaked at 8.15, they then suggested I get myself a CO2 scrubber and see what happens, so I did.

Within 2 days my Alk consumption had risen to 2.6ml, by the end of the same week, it was 3.2ml, then by the next week 4.4ml.

I've now been running the scrubber for 3 weeks and my consumption is 7ml.
My Ca is now almost completely in line at 6.3ml, I could probably move it to 7ml and it would be fine, but I first want to see it drop a little bit, which might take a few weeks, but I'm happy right now with stable numbers.

The best news, in just 3 weeks, a number of acro's which were basically doing nothing at all, have suddenly based out, completely covering the plugs and moving onto the rocks. My corals are colouring up and I can see growth tips.
A pink milli I've got has four new branches starting from the base. All in just 3 weeks!

If anything, my biggest issue right now is keeping up with increasing dosing and making sure there are enough nutrients in the tank, PO4 is my biggest issue, 3 times a day feeding and it's dropping daily.
A great problem to have all things considered.

Is there a moral to this story?
Don't give up? There is a solution to most problems? If in doubt, get a CO2 scrubber?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back