I’ve just about had it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, pardon me while I vent. I have a 2016 APEX and every time I lose power this thing WILL NOT RECONNECT to WiFi. And of course, as luck would have it, I’m in Amsterdam and the house loses power for all of 3 minutes. This simply translates to me not being able to monitor ANYTHING while abroad.

As you could imagine, walking my spouse through resetting the WiFi is less than ideal as she has more important things to do than fiddle with something the price of a laptop THAT CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO RECONNECT ITSELF TO THE WIFI!!! As if that wasn’t enough, once I get her to the part where I select my WiFi network... I get a big fat “Go pound sand” from the Apex because it believes my SSID and Password are incorrect. Needless to say, I don’t know what the f is wrong with it. But I’m 2000 miles away with no way of receiving alarms, alerts or updates... the very thing I purchased this thing for. I followed your directions to reset. I’m using WPA2 as my encryption. I reset my WiFi router, my modem and the apex unit 4 times now.... I beg you. Fix this crap in the next update.

VENT OVER

I’d appreciate some help here. I’m not walking her through setting up static IPs or any other nerdy non sense. This needs to work. period.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you using wifi with the base unit - or wifi with an ethernet cable to an adapter. I have found - doing it the second way - and turning off the Apex Wifi helped this issue quite a bit. What seemed to trigger the problem here was that my router was booting up more slowly than the apex - and when the apex went to go to the internet - it didn't reconnect. Hope this helps a little

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using wifi with the base unit - or wifi with an ethernet cable to an adapter. I have found - doing it the second way - and turning off the Apex Wifi helped this issue quite a bit. What seemed to trigger the problem here was that my router was booting up more slowly than the apex - and when the apex went to go to the internet - it didn't reconnect. Hope this helps a little

I appreciate the reply. That is certainly a solution it just doesn’t fix my current situation. This thing cost more than my kids chrome book, and about the same as my iPhone. Why is this a problem we are even discussing? Ya know?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I appreciate the reply. That is certainly a solution it just doesn’t fix my current situation. This thing cost more than my kids chrome book, and about the same as my iPhone. Why is this a problem we are even discussing? Ya know?

I've been there. There might not be a quick fix until you get home. Except 'resetting' the apex. The quick one - not the erase one:)

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there. There might not be a quick fix until you get home. Except 'resetting' the apex. The quick one - not the erase one:)

You mean with a hammer?

Honestly, this thing has been great. Other than my flow meters, I’ve had no issues except this one. And it drives me bonkers.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s my issue with that:

Neptune released a WIFi capable unit that doesn’t know how to connect itself to WiFi. That’s totally absurd. If you implement a piece of hardware, and it turns out it’s **** and doesn’t work- you owe it to customers to offer a rebate, a replacement or to work tirelessly on the software until *it works*. The fact that this is still an issue 3YEARS AFTER RELEASE is a total slap in the face to anyone who ‘upgraded’ from a classic to a 2016 thinking they could finally drop their netgear gaming hub solution.

Dubs is overseas, flying blind (hee!) with respect to tank monitoring, and undoubtedly anxious as hell. To be totally honest- it’s unacceptable that he should be in this position. For a piece of equipment that commonly costs $1.5- 2k once you buy add ons, to monitor a tank that costs 5, 6, 7 grand, being unable to ‘see’ it due to some software bs is ridiculous. It needs to work. And, if you, as a company, are selling this as an essential component of your reef setup, and touting that you use it to control your tank from off-site: IT NEEDS TO WORK. ALL OF THE TIME. If it doesn’t, your products aren’t performing to the level you are claiming it will and that’s a disservice to the customer.

FWIW: I love my apex. Classic, hardwired. But it’s one of several controllers out there. The second it burns me- it’s getting sold. I don’t care if I have 1.5-2k invested in it- if I take a trip (eg, home to Scotland for three weeks in 2020) and I lose any livestock due to a malfunction- it’s out. I love my controller, but my controller doesn’t have to be an Apex.

I love the capability, but the reliability and programming language kinda suck sometimes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back