I accidentally broke one of my Brittle starfish's legs!

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an attempt to move him using a tweezer, his arm just fell apart like breaking a tree branch. Is the old guy gonna be ok? Right now my blue tang and wrasse are being curious about this piece.

20210425_143301.jpg

20210425_143303.jpg

20210425_143242.jpg

MagicMiller72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...their legs will grow back for sure! They sometimes will break off a part of their legs if it is injured so that it will grow back properly and not be deformed during the healing process. Also they have some predators that will eat on the legs of star fish, but not usually enough to kill the star fish before it's legs are able to regrow. However if there are too many predators then the star fish could be looking at the dinner table on the wrong side of the plate if you know what I mean.
Your star fish should be just fine, as I don't see any predators in the pics. And you said it was you...lol
Be patient and all is good!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted, it is a defense mechanism. A healthy brittle or serpent star will grow it back. Lost leg will not grow into a new star unless there is part of the central disc attached. The leg may well continue to twitch for a few days but eventually will rot so best remove it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back