I am a fool bought a clown a petco and he has developed ich

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should have chosen a better title for this thread. I know Petco isn’t the best place to go for marine fish. I’ve gotten my first two clowns, yellow tang, two yellow tail damsels, three stripe damsel, and a blue fin damsel from Petco with not one problem from any of them. Even a green polyp leather from there.

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to try and do a freshwater dip but the little guy did not want to be caught. lol.
Sneaky little buggers lol. Well I'm glad to here he is doing better and that the copper is doing its job. If he seems like his breathing is really labored then it might be worth another try at netting him. When I dipped to help with velvet I was shocked at all the flukes and other nasties that came out my fishies gills. Anyway, keep up the good work and stay positive.

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your clownfish is not showing anymore signs of crypto at this point I would just focus on feeding the fish well with a varied diet and not stress him out by trying to remove him. That can actually make things worse IME.
Agreed. I was offering that suggestion purely as a source of relief if the clown has very labored breathing. Otherwise, maintaining proper nutrition for a healthy immune system is definitely the best course of action.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I was offering that suggestion purely as a source of relief if the clown has very labored breathing. Otherwise, maintaining proper nutrition for a healthy immune system is definitely the best course of action.
I wasn't applying to disagree with your post my friend. Just posting an idea in general. I agree as well with the labored breathing.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a new tank I think it would be easiest to just qt the fish with copper and run bleach in the display tank and start over.

What size is the tank?

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't applying to disagree with your post my friend. Just posting an idea in general. I agree as well with the labored breathing.
No worries, no offense was taken and no feathers ruffled. I felt like I should clarify that it was only if the fishes breathing seemed very labored. Plus I was slightly embarrased that I didn't offer that piece of sound advice about nutrition.:)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, no offense was taken and no feathers ruffled. I felt like I should clarify that it was only if the fishes breathing seemed very labored. Plus I was slightly embarrased that I didn't offer that piece of sound advice about nutrition.:)
Great minds right;)

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent actually started trement yet, I am still waiting on some equipment to set up the tank. My tank is the 32g Biocube. I am going to use my old 29g biocube as the quarentine tank.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should have chosen a better title for this thread. I know Petco isn’t the best place to go for marine fish. I’ve gotten my first two clowns, yellow tang, two yellow tail damsels, three stripe damsel, and a blue fin damsel from Petco with not one problem from any of them. Even a green polyp leather from there.
All pet COs are different, mine always has velvet in their whole system because they don't understand air transfer

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent actually started trement yet, I am still waiting on some equipment to set up the tank. My tank is the 32g Biocube. I am going to use my old 29g biocube as the quarentine tank.
If your little buddy is doing better without treatment then you might have picked up a really good fish from petco. I can't remember the writer but, there is an article here about a long time reefer who doesn't quarantine anything and relies on feeding whole frozen food ( chopped into small pieces) to use the bacteria and other biota in the guts of the food to outcompete and boost his fishes immunities. He claims that he rarely loses fish to anything but old age, and that existing fish rarely contract any introduced diseases.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly a 32g tank isn’t really suitable for a maroon clown longterm anyway unless you want it to be the only fish in the tank. They are the devil.

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That article I was talking about is called "the other way to run a reef tank" written by Paul B. on Dec. 2018. If your interested in reading it.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to squeeze it in this little bathroom lol.

20190222_191513.jpg

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to squeeze it in this little bathroom lol.

20190222_191513.jpg
Wife: why are you in the bathroom so often??
Him: I like the way the little swimmer moves around the bowl.
Lol. JK man. It actually looks like the bathroom was made for that cube. I think I know what my next bathroom remodel will look like now.:p

Back