I am about to buy a Gorgonian anything I should know about them

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am buying a coral from a freind tomorrow. All he can tell me is that is a gorgonian and it is a non photosynthetic and orange and Australian. Is that enough information to let me know anything about this coral? Sorry for the lack of more information

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to feed it

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I should have deducted that myself as it does not photosynthesise. I always have issues when I use reef roids with nitrates, PO4 is controlled with lanthium chroride. Can anybody suggest a feeding regime that may not tire me out doing more water changes than I am doing now ( 50% per week in a 16 gal nano). Am asking about a less Nitrate phosphate producing method or food?

Thanks

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I should have deducted that myself as it does not photosynthesise. I always have issues when I use reef roids with nitrates, PO4 is controlled with lanthium chroride. Can anybody suggest a feeding regime that may not tire me out doing more water changes than I am doing now ( 50% per week in a 16 gal nano). Am asking about a less Nitrate phosphate producing method or food?

Thanks
Live phytoplankton

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Phyto or literally any powder food that isn't roids. I use coral feast. I am too lazy for live phyto, I have EasyBooster on a doser.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why you say, anything but roids?
Roids are well known for increasing nitrates and po4. Not every powdered brand is like that. Works out great if your tank is starved for nutrients, but if you're already struggling to keep it down, try someone else.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four NPS gorgs and another coming next week. Every day(at least twice) they get fed Reef Nutrition Phyto feast and Oyster feast . These plus other supplements get mixed in a squirt bottle and squirted so that the current takes the mixture to the gorgs. Some gorgs like the Caribbean nps, have larger polyps. These also get frozen rotifers or baby brine shrimp. You can see the polyps catch them. Also, keep it where there is moderate current and low light. If it gets algae on it, the algae must be removed because it will smother the gorg. Good luck and lets see a picture.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oysterfeast, Phytofeast, R.O.E, Rotifers, Baby Brine, Calanus
Also if you want some foods to stick to them better, some egg whites mixed in will help.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four NPS gorgs and another coming next week. Every day(at least twice) they get fed Reef Nutrition Phyto feast and Oyster feast . These plus other supplements get mixed in a squirt bottle and squirted so that the current takes the mixture to the gorgs. Some gorgs like the Caribbean nps, have larger polyps. These also get frozen rotifers or baby brine shrimp. You can see the polyps catch them. Also, keep it where there is moderate current and low light. If it gets algae on it, the algae must be removed because it will smother the gorg. Good luck and lets see a picture.
I have one of those Carribbean gorgs with the larger polyps you were talking about. I've been feeding Reef Roids, but I'm wondering if maybe the particle size is too small, because I don't see the polyps catching anything. I have some BBS eggs but never thought of feeding it. Do you think it would be better than the Reef roids?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, use both and a binder like Oysterfeast to help it stick to the feeder polyps

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding my orange or yellow finger gorg roids for months but noticing not as many polyps out lately. Going to try some of the Phyto feast now as well. See if that livens it up a bit. I'm always concerned with the roids of overdoing it and a spike in nitrates /po4. I assume the phyto will be less of an issue this way?
What you say about the algae or any other slime is indeed sage advice...
Anyway, here's mine. About 8 months in now.

Attachments

• 20210122_104820.jpg
    20210122_104820.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 32

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am buying a coral from a freind tomorrow. All he can tell me is that is a gorgonian and it is a non photosynthetic and orange and Australian. Is that enough information to let me know anything about this coral? Sorry for the lack of more information
It will most probably die, unless you feed so often that you have problems with your tank

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need to seriously up your nutrient export if you want to keep it alive. They need lots of feeding , i.e the food needs to circulate constantly or they will starve. Their food intake is in small bite sizes, but constant, which is a problem with most tanks. You will need to keep food in the tank, but that brings up so many issues that slowly accumulate.

Get as many nutrient export systems as possible - Refugium, ATS, Algae reactor - All properly sized and lit. The more the better because each will attract different types of algae which when in bloom will benefit the tank.

If you over skim the animal will just limp along to a slow but sad death. But keeping food in the tank means conversion to P and N, hence the multitude of nutrient export needed.

Good luck, they are beautiful creatures.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those Carribbean gorgs with the larger polyps you were talking about. I've been feeding Reef Roids, but I'm wondering if maybe the particle size is too small, because I don't see the polyps catching anything. I have some BBS eggs but never thought of feeding it. Do you think it would be better than the Reef roids?
My Caribbean gorgs don't seem to catch ReefRoids either. I defrost a partial cube of either frozen rotifers or frozen baby brine shrimp and feed the larger polyp gonis separate. When they catch one, the polyp closes on it.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding my orange or yellow finger gorg roids for months but noticing not as many polyps out lately. Going to try some of the Phyto feast now as well. See if that livens it up a bit. I'm always concerned with the roids of overdoing it and a spike in nitrates /po4. I assume the phyto will be less of an issue this way?
What you say about the algae or any other slime is indeed sage advice...
Anyway, here's mine. About 8 months in now.
Your gorg looks nice and clean. I have a constant battle keeping mine clean. Every other week, I have to wipe off algae. Maybe try a larger food with yours. Mine gets fed a little defrosted baby brine shrimp or defrosted rotifers. When a polyp gets hit, it closes on the food. IMG_1179.jpg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was 2 inches, now 8 or a bit more. Reef frenzy from feeding fish, some KZ supplements, sparingly. Last couple weeks live phyto from AGB daily. Flow is good, keeps it moving and clean. Nice piece of purple. Polyps are always full even in the encrusting base.
582A5D40-BDE8-4C67-A157-B036C5761F6B.jpeg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your gorg looks nice and clean. I have a constant battle keeping mine clean. Every other week, I have to wipe off algae. Maybe try a larger food with yours. Mine gets fed a little defrosted baby brine shrimp or defrosted rotifers. When a polyp gets hit, it closes on the food. IMG_1179.jpg
Ah ha! Yours looks same species here....I have always wondered on a larger food source seeing as the tents are here and there so small....cyclops maybe too? I have broadcast fed that and seen the gorg in 'full flight ' with polyps extended, even as a night feeder....this Gorg has been a challenge, but success thus far....seeing how it's going to react to phyto this next week. It was roids up till then....

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ha! Yours looks same species here....I have always wondered on a larger food source seeing as the tents are here and there so small....cyclops maybe too? I have broadcast fed that and seen the gorg in 'full flight ' with polyps extended, even as a night feeder....this Gorg has been a challenge, but success thus far....seeing how it's going to react to phyto this next week. It was roids up till then....
Sadly, the yellow came from a new vendor in tough shape and didn't make it. There is a new one coming next week from a different vendor. The red on the left has open polyps all day long. It is wild watching it catch food. The red's polyps are so big that it will catch regular size brine shrimp. You have to be doing something right to have yours look good after several months. BTW is that a Newfie in your picture?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back