mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

1) Can you please give me unsolicited advice?

Buy some real live rock just like 10 lbs from someone like Tampa Bay saltwater or Gulf live rock. This will really help you get things started right.

2) I added Carribsea Arag alive sand when I filled with RoDI water, then mixed RedSea Blue Bucket in to 35ppm, this took 48 hours to accomplish. Did the live sand die? (I have a feeling it did) No the live sand did not die bacteria is resilient but getting some real live rock will give you great bacteria.

3) I want to start the cycle before I put my scape in or start it after?
Put the scape in the bacteria needs a place to colonize

4) I plan on using two Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kits to start this, is this advisable? (Reason for two is one pack only treats 50 gallons and I believe with the sump volume I am closer to 100 as this tank is 69 gallons and I think the sumps operating water level is 12, but I think it could hold 20+ (math is hard

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My name is Bruce, and I just set up my first saltwater/reef tank, specific gravity finally reached 35ppm.
I have a RedSea Max E 260 with the sump (that was a learning curve! We don’t have those in freshwater!)

I am currently creating my aquascape (NSA with Marco Rocks/their putty to hold it all together also)

Guess these are my questions for you all if you got time to answer :)

2) I added Carribsea Arag alive sand when I filled with RoDI water, then mixed RedSea Blue Bucket in to 35ppm, this took 48 hours to accomplish. Did the live sand die? (I have a feeling it did)

4) I plan on using two Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kits to start this, is this advisable? (Reason for two is one pack only treats 50 gallons and I believe with the sump volume I am closer to 100 as this tank is 69 gallons and I think the sumps operating water level is 12, but I think it could hold 20+ (math is hard :( )

I have watched BRSTV religiously for the last couple years to prepare, but I need more resources. I also feel, I may be researching too much?

Glad to finally be here :)

Bruce
What light do you have on tank?

OP
OP
T

TwinTurboSnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some Fritz Turbo 900?(9000? Hahah)

bought some live rock from Tropical Fish world and Pets (LFS near me).

I’m pretty sure the owner was trying to make sales, but he said I really should put some clownfish and damsels in with the Fritz and live rock. Wife and I ended up leaving with two of each. Unsure if it was the right thing to do, but my parameters after 5 days is as follows

Testing is done with Red Sea Marine Care test kit and my refractometer for salinity

salinity 35ppm
Temp - holding at 78.5 - 78.8
PH is between 8.2-8.4
Didn’t test Alk because no coral yet
NH3 - Not detectable
NO2 - Not detectable
NO3 - at or less than 1ppm
PO4 - looks like less than 1ppm maybe like .1/.2
Didn’t test for trace elements but I assume they are there as I use Blue Bucket for salt mix.

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day Bruce,

Are you Australian or Scottish?,

How many times have you been asked that? ,

As someone who has the same name I can say it's a Scottish name or so ma daddy told me:),

Anyway great to have you here there's not enough Bruce's on here :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: happy reefing.

Disney Pixar Ocean GIF by Disney

OP
OP
T

TwinTurboSnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day Bruce,

As someone who has the same name I can say it's a Scottish name or so ma daddy told me:),

Anyway great to have you here there's not enough Bruce's on here :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: happy reefing.

xD unsure on my family history but my wife is Scottish and it was real fun when I went and visited her family there. My full name is Robert Bruce Handlon II, it caused quite a commotion haha. It’s great to meet you :)

OP
OP
T

TwinTurboSnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day Bruce,

You’re the first person to ask my if I’m from Australia :D

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My name is Bruce, and I just set up my first saltwater/reef tank, specific gravity finally reached 35ppm.
I have a RedSea Max E 260 with the sump (that was a learning curve! We don’t have those in freshwater!)

I am currently creating my aquascape (NSA with Marco Rocks/their putty to hold it all together also)

Guess these are my questions for you all if you got time to answer :)

2) I added Carribsea Arag alive sand when I filled with RoDI water, then mixed RedSea Blue Bucket in to 35ppm, this took 48 hours to accomplish. Did the live sand die? (I have a feeling it did)

4) I plan on using two Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kits to start this, is this advisable? (Reason for two is one pack only treats 50 gallons and I believe with the sump volume I am closer to 100 as this tank is 69 gallons and I think the sumps operating water level is 12, but I think it could hold 20+ (math is hard :( )

I have watched BRSTV religiously for the last couple years to prepare, but I need more resources. I also feel, I may be researching too much?

Glad to finally be here :)

Bruce
2641E46A-D5C6-466B-9344-EB101A0681B9.gif

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Go slow, building a stable reef takes many many months.

The AragAlive product has bacterial spores infused into it. It is not quite the same thing as 'live' bacteria (they are dormant). Their 'Ocean Direct' line has actual live seawater in it containing live bacteria. Likely some of the bacteria are still encysted. In my opinion the Arag Alive doesn't really help very much usually so I would not worry about it.

After.

No idea on the Red Sea Reef Mature products. I'm sure others may help there.

Just remember that BRS is also basically hobbyists so take their, and everyone else's--including my, opinions with a grain of sodium chloride.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Ditto to everything mentioned in this post! Welcome to the party.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back