I am interested in keeping a Sebae anemone; could i do it?

Is it a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grady15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I am interested in keeping a Sebae anemone either Heteractis crispa or H. malu. My tank is 65 gallons so i am looking for it to be a "center piece" for the tank. The tank is over 1 year old and stable. The lighting isn't the best (Chinese black-box) but it has been growing sps and a clam for around 6 months with no problems and good growth. Are there any more factors I could be leaving out? Do you think it would be a good idea for me to give a Sebae anemone a try?

Edit: Just realized this should be in the Clownfish and anemone thread if someone could move it that would be great

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty cool anemone's.

another thought, are you looking to host clowns with the Sabae?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a crispa which has hosted a breeding pair of occellaris for 14 years. It hosted a breeding pair of gold stripe maroons for 3 years before that. I have found them to be fairly undemanding. Decent flow, bright light, occasional feedings. Mine is anchored in the rocks but I think its food goes down into the sand. Good luck with with yours if you get one.

OP
OP
G

grady15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a crispa which has hosted a breeding pair of occellaris for 14 years. It hosted a breeding pair of gold stripe maroons for 3 years before that. I have found them to be fairly undemanding. Decent flow, bright light, occasional feedings. Mine is anchored in the rocks but I think its food goes down into the sand. Good luck with with yours if you get one.

I am definitely leaning towards a crispa, do you know of any good reliable sources to purchase one?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of the two species requires extraordinary care other than the typical well run reef tank with bright light. Malu will stay smaller thus better suited for your smallish tank of 65 gal. Crispa will out grow it eventually depends on how much you feed him.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of the two species requires extraordinary care other than the typical well run reef tank with bright light. Malu will stay smaller thus better suited for your smallish tank of 65 gal. Crispa will out grow it eventually depends on how much you feed him.
mine had gotten quite large and was covering at least a quarter if not more of the rock work in my 58 gallon. I have backed off on the feeding since then and it is now a much more manageable size. If our power ever comes back on I will post some pictures from a few years ago and more recent one so you can see the size difference.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem with anemones and those black box 165 watt LEDs either. They thrive on them. I have mine sitting right on the glass top at 70% blue and 5-8% whites/red/green/yellow. On for 12 hrs on/off.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem with anemones and those black box 165 watt LEDs either. They thrive on them. I have mine sitting right on the glass top at 70% blue and 5-8% whites/red/green/yellow. On for 12 hrs on/off.

FelipeRa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

Do you know if this one if a Condy or a Sabae?
IMG_20200828_185754.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That look like a Condy (95% plus), but a good picture of the column is what we need to tell for sure.
Agree - Florida Condy.

This is a sebae:

1598661806619.png

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which when a Sebae is not bleached white and gains it’s color, looks tan. Here is a picture of its column. See the wart like verrucae.

B0108DBB-0CC7-4BB4-B691-95CF37FB941B.jpeg

Back