I am looking to start my first salt aquarium. People reccomend a 40g breeder. To start one what are the complete lits of things to start a 40g?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no one list. there are many options for each item (example: salt, test kits)

this is a good reference article that covers many things, if you haven't yet found it:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You can check out my build thread by clicking on my profile. I have a 40 breeder and 20 gallon sump. The list of things to purchase depends on how much you want to do it yourself and how automated your tank will be. You can buy an all in one tank system but will pay much more than buying things individually and catching equipment on sale or used. Here are the things that come to mind:
Tank
Stand
Sump
Heater (preferably with controller and a second heater backup)
Auto top off unit
Return Pump
Skimmer (but you could have hang on back filter or canister filter if you don't get a sump)
Light
Powerhead(s)
Food
Testing kits for cycling your tank and for coral
Refractometer
Prime
Bacteria Starter
Filter floss, Socks or Media cups for Sump
GFCI outlet
Ground Probe
Plumbing parts if you go the sump route
Medicine to have on hand for possible sick fish
Quarantine tank with equipment (highly recommended)
Salt
RODI unit

This is not a cheap hobby! Read Ron Reefman's articles here for new aquarists and also check out Bulk Reef Supply's You Tube videos on just about everything in the hobby.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, you don't need a ton of things to have a successful tank. You can have a reef tank thrive with just a tank, HoB filter, powerheads, heaters and lights. Testing equipment, way to make your own water can both be subverted by just having your LFS take care of it. I have a 90 gallon RUGF system with no sump. Everyone spare a couple people all said it would fail. Here I am over 3 years later with a very successful tank with no issues.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You can check out my build thread by clicking on my profile. I have a 40 breeder and 20 gallon sump. The list of things to purchase depends on how much you want to do it yourself and how automated your tank will be. You can buy an all in one tank system but will pay much more than buying things individually and catching equipment on sale or used. Here are the things that come to mind:
Tank
Stand
Sump
Auto top off unit
Return Pump
Skimmer (but you could have hang on bank filter or canister filter if you don't get a sump)
Light
Powerhead(s)
Food
Refractometer
Prime
Bacteria Starter
GFCI outlet
Ground Probe
Salt
RODI unit

This is not a cheap hobby! Read Ron Reefman's articles here for new aquarists and also check out Bulk Reef Supply's You Tube videos on just about everything in the hobby.
Post #22 in this other thread does a cost breakdown - this hobby doesn't have to be expensive and I watch this guy's post because I enjoy seeing success on a budget!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question that only you yourself can answer is going to be made through researching on your own. Building a setup is lots of fun, and most of us only get to do it no more than once or a few times. Don't let anyone take your experience. Find what works best for you and go for it. Any hiccups along the way are much better areas to ask for advice

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how deep your pockets are.

This is a loaded question. And much of the answer requires you to know and understand what type of livestock you will keep, this includes coral.

Keep it simple to start. And if you think you have done your research, go back to the books and online resources and do more research.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank
Stand
Sump
Auto top off unit
Return Pump
Skimmer (but you could have hang on bank filter or canister filter if you don't get a sump)
Light
Powerhead(s)
Food
Refractometer
Prime
Bacteria Starter
GFCI outlet
Ground Probe
Salt
RODI unit

My tank is over 3 years old and I don't have or use half the things you listed.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider a used, fully equipped setup? Could find a great system and save significant money. Hopefully someone upgrading to larger aquarium or leaving the hobby. This is the way I bought mine and saved a lot of money.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is over 3 years old and I don't have or use half the things you listed.
@Elaine123 has a nice setup - but gets back to there is no 1 list for this... your setup is likely great too! Hundred others each with 100 different setups... Thousands if not tens of thousands of options...

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elaine123 has a nice setup - but gets back to there is no 1 list for this... your setup is likely great too! Hundred others each with 100 different setups... Thousands if not tens of thousands of options...
Just trying not to scare someone new into thinking you can't have a tank without breaking the bank.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, you don't need a ton of things to have a successful tank. You can have a reef tank thrive with just a tank, HoB filter, powerheads, heaters and lights. Testing equipment, way to make your own water can both be subverted by just having your LFS take care of it. I have a 90 gallon RUGF system with no sump. Everyone spare a couple people all said it would fail. Here I am over 3 years later with a very successful tank with no issues.
I agree.
Just trying not to scare someone new into thinking you can't have a tank without breaking the bank.
I agree with your comment and this is why someone needs to educate oneself about how much they are willing to spend and what they really want. I would say my system is middle of the road. It is not fully automated which would easily cost another $1k.

One has to ask the following questions. How much risk are you willing to take with it being less automated? A HOB filter is the most likely overflow to damage your house. If you don't have an auto top off, are you willing to fill the water and check it most every day certainly in the wintertime. You can hardly be away a single day. Not testing your water for the correct parameters can lead to disaster especially if you want to have the harder to keep corals. I have read horror stories here about LFS's water causing tank crashes. Not having backup heaters or a controller can again lead to disaster (and I know people who have had them when their heater quit or got stuck). Do you want to keep the LFS in business and drag water home? Or have an RODI unit that pays for itself and can generate water in an emergency when the store is closed? Lots of things to consider. I started out with a 29 gal, fish only tank with a canister filter.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

I agree with your comment and this is why someone needs to educate oneself about how much they are willing to spend and what they really want. I would say my system is middle of the road. It is not fully automated which would easily cost another $1k.

One has to ask the following questions. How much risk are you willing to take with it being less automated? A HOB filter is the most likely overflow to damage your house. If you don't have an auto top off, are you willing to fill the water and check it most every day certainly in the wintertime. You can hardly be away a single day. Not testing your water for the correct parameters can lead to disaster especially if you want to have the harder to keep corals. I have read horror stories here about LFS's water causing tank crashes. Not having backup heaters or a controller can again lead to disaster (and I know people who have had them when their heater quit or got stuck). Do you want to keep the LFS in business and drag water home? Or have an RODI unit that pays for itself and can generate water in an emergency when the store is closed? Lots of things to consider. I started out with a 29 gal, fish only tank with a canister filter.
HoB filter is not an overflow and poses no risk at all.... just a simple aqueon with a sponge and some floss in it with room for carbon or chemipure etc

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly after running three SW aquariums of different sizes, I'd tell you to go with min 70 gallons.

But then, sad fact of our hobby is that there's always a reason to go bigger :)

I'd start by making some basic decisions about the type of tank you want - internal overflow, external overflow, integrated sump or just a good ole fishtank with filters and heaters hanging into it. That really informs what equipment you need. That and budget of course.

HoB filter is not an overflow and poses no risk at all.... just a simple aqueon with a sponge and some floss in it with room for carbon or chemipure etc

I respectfully disagree, all of my bad leaks have come from HOB filters that someone elbowed or something and water started dripping out the back of em. Probably my fault because I cram them too full of filter media, but I've come to hate the things.

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need to know what a hob filter is but would this work as a powerhead?

i have a 36 gallon freshwater but im new to the whole saltwater thing.

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly after running three SW aquariums of different sizes, I'd tell you to go with min 70 gallons.

But then, sad fact of our hobby is that there's always a reason to go bigger :)

I'd start by making some basic decisions about the type of tank you want - internal overflow, external overflow, integrated sump or just a good ole fishtank with filters and heaters hanging into it. That really informs what equipment you need. That and budget of course.

I respectfully disagree, all of my bad leaks have come from HOB filters that someone elbowed or something and water started dripping out the back of em. Probably my fault because I cram them too full of filter media, but I've come to hate the things.
i want to run a sump or refugium but i have no idea how that works

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need to know what a hob filter is but would this work as a powerhead?

i have a 36 gallon freshwater but im new to the whole saltwater thing.

Hang on back filter, it'll hang over the back of your tank, have an intake tube that extends down into the water, and it pulls the water up and through some compartments in the filter then returns it to the tank. If you have a freshwater tank I'd guess that's what you've got on it.

I don't love them for saltwater because it doesn't get you the water movement you want to keep uglies from growing in your tank. I only use them as the primary pump on my SW quarantine tank and my freshwater tank.

I have never used that powerhead so can't speak to that one!

Back