I am looking to start my first salt aquarium. People reccomend a 40g breeder. To start one what are the complete lits of things to start a 40g?

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to run a sump or refugium but i have no idea how that works

I find the tanks with integrated sumps are really good for starting out with saltwater, it's what I did. They don't require sophisticated plumbing to set up, water never leaves the tank so they are basically leakproof. They don't have a ton of space to get creative which is the downside - for example I've got one with a HOB filter on it that I use as a refugium

JBJ makes good ones if you want to take a look at what I'm talking about.

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on back filter, it'll hang over the back of your tank, have an intake tube that extends down into the water, and it pulls the water up and through some compartments in the filter then returns it to the tank. If you have a freshwater tank I'd guess that's what you've got on it.

I don't love them for saltwater because it doesn't get you the water movement you want to keep uglies from growing in your tank. I only use them on my SW quarantine tank and my freshwater tank.

I have never used that powerhead so can't speak to that one!
on my freshwater i have a "hob" i judt did not know the abbreviation. if not that what would i put for filtration?

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the tanks with integrated sumps are really good for starting out with saltwater, it's what I did. They don't require sophisticated plumbing to set up, water never leaves the tank so they are basically leakproof. They don't have a ton of space to get creative which is the downside - for example I've got one with a HOB filter on it that I use as a refugium

JBJ makes good ones if you want to take a look at what I'm talking ab
are there any 40 gallon or more aio?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HoB filter is not an overflow and poses no risk at all.... just a simple aqueon with a sponge and some floss in it with room for carbon or chemipure etc
A disaster in another thread posted today with a Hob filter. He is lucky his house did not burn down.

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about starting with the 20g by innovative Marine. Is that too small?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back