I am needing a protium Skimmer for a 16 gallon bio cube?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze 9001 DC in my display. It kicks the occasional stream of micro bubbles when it first turns on but it’s incredible. However, I do not use the lid on my BioCube.

AC11C6BA-EA77-4F60-B1BA-148B7A1AE137.jpeg

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my lid on mine. How much does that skimmer cost?

Right now it’s on sale. About $140

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers for nano tanks don't work that great. I have a biocube 32 with a skimmer and it's a nightmare to keep it dialed in. Other options to control algae are cutting back feeding, UV light, algae scrubber, refugium, robust CUC, cut back lighting schedule, ect. There are chemicals if you are battling great hair or turf algae. We need more info to better help you like what type off algae are you have issues with. Tank parameters. Current equipment. Need input!!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers for nano tanks don't work that great.

Just do frequent water changes, no need for skimmer on such a small tank.

I disagree.

The idea that nano's don't need a skimmer and can easily be managed with water changes is ludicrous. It totally depends on bio-load and the coral in your tank. If water changes are not enough of an export, then the next logical addition would be a protein skimmer.

If I pulled my skimmer and did water changes as my only export, I fully believe my tank would crash. If I didn't dose 2-part, I'm at the point where my tank would crash. Every tank is different.

OP
OP
J

Julie Reagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my lid on mine. How much does that skimmer
Right now it’s on sale. About $140

And it will work fine for a 16 gallon

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ice Cap K-1

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works for me. I cannot say whether or not it’ll fix your algae problem but it is a great skimmer. I also have the IceCap K1 Nano. It’s good too. The Tunze is easier to tune as it has a controller you can manipulate. What is your bio-load like?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either of those skimmers will only fit in the display meaning you will have to remove the lid. There is no skimmer as far as I know that will fit in the rear chambers (other than Reef Glass).

OP
OP
J

Julie Reagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree.

The idea that nano's don't need a skimmer and can easily be managed with water changes is ludicrous. It totally depends on bio-load and the coral in your tank. If water changes are not enough of an export, then the next logical addition would be a protein skimmer.

If I pulled my skimmer and did water changes as my only export, I fully believe my tank would crash. If I didn't dose 2-part, I'm at the point where my tank would crash. Every tank is different.
What would I get for a 16 gallon

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it will work fine for a 16 gallon
I disagree.

Well I am not just making this up, this is from anecdotal experience. I have 2 small tanks that have never had skimmers and one of which is biocube 32. I have managed both the tanks with large and frequent water changes. Putting a skimmer in a bio cube is a nightmare, if you have a 16 gallon tank and do a 5 to 8 gallon water change every 2 weeks I believe it would export the same as a small crappy skimmer would. I am not saying skimmer aren't great, I have one on my main tank and I love it.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious.
Where's the emergency?

A 16 gallon tank does not really need a skimmer of you are doing water changes. Depending on your bio load, a skimmer could strip the tank of nutrients leaving you open to pests like dino, cyano and others.

You should really only use the "emergency" button for emergencies.

Good luck

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree.

water changes can EASILY manage a biocube 14/16 and is FAR more effective than the nano skimmers that will work on them. The biocube 14 holds 10g of water empty (and the 16 is only 2" taller, give it another 0.5 gallons of you want). If you have sand and rock in them a 5g water change is over 50% and will drain the tank past the hallway mark. Doing this weekly is far more effective, in fact TOO effective as it easily bottomed my nitrates out (also better make sure your salt alkalinity matches your reef if you doing frequent changes this large). The skimmer shouldn't be what's keeping your reef afloat. ANY reef aquarium should be able to pull their skimmer without catastrophy and at worse slight modification in water change/feeding habits. Live sand, real liverock (from the ocean and then years in an established reef) and a media bag with ,250ml of Seachem matrix is my biocube 14 filtration. I have 2 fish (clown and Springers damsel) even though any fish in a 14 reef I consider high bioload.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back