I am new to chalice corals give me the chalice 101 lesson!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I were new to chalices and wanted to keep them healthy and growing what would be the best info you could give me to get started?

Consider I already have the tank up and running and can keep healthy corals just never kept chalices.

This is for new people considering keeping chalices but in all honesty I have never been very successful myself. :neutral:

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found chalices to be more sensitive to alk swings than SPS. Otherwise, nothing special, IMO. If you want them to grow faster, feed them.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about lighting, placement, flow, other inhabitants, etc.?

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally lower light. I have yet to kill a chalice from too low light. That said, some look much better in higher light (like some pink chalices turn red in low light). Low flow. Generally don't let them touch, and many fish will pick the food out of them, so feeding can be tricky if you have lots of fish that pick off th floor/rocks.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
low/mod flow and low light always a good starting point, feeding definitely encourages better overall health and growth. keep your alk and magnesium dialed in and they are pretty darn easy

1fishmonger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep hermit crabs away IMO. I've had dozens of hermit crabs throughout the years but it only took one to clean the flesh right off an expensive chalice.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on all the above. Especially agree that they do better in a bit "dirtier" water. So sps heavy tanks may find the growth to be slower...Recently i had an ALK spike the bothered some of my corals, but my chalices didn't seem to have any adverse effects, maybe i just lucked out..

allabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep hermit crabs away IMO. I've had dozens of hermit crabs throughout the years but it only took one to clean the flesh right off an expensive chalice.

Anyone else ever had this experience? I have a lot of hermits as part of my cuc and was thinking of getting a chalice.

nerses818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this info guys I've really been considering trying chalices out but I didn't really know where they would feel at home in my tank so this is really helpful

jimknutson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to make it more complex but there are different species also. I have some that have smoother skin that love light and the bumpier ones low light. Yes flow like for any low such is low.

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer keep crabs or shrimp because they have torn apart the eye of a couple of mine to get the food that I had fed.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fish and shrimp steal the food from my chalice's but never clean the flesh off...I've got probably 30-40 hermits in my 45g tank, and no damage so far (knock on wood)

Blake11rebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had any problems with either my cleaner or peppermint shrimp in my 30g reef. They will try to steal food but if you keep them well feed they shouldnt be a bother. My red and blue legged hermit crabs have always been reef safe. Also rosko I have mine under LEDs and they look better than ever.

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had any problems with either my cleaner or peppermint shrimp in my 30g reef. They will try to steal food but if you keep them well feed they shouldnt be a bother. My red and blue legged hermit crabs have always been reef safe. Also rosko I have mine under LEDs and they look better than ever.

What LEDs are you running? been thinking of making the switch but am hesitant because all my Chalices.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they do with LEDs? AI Sol's, Radions?

LED's are terrible with chalices IMO and experience. I went back to T5's over my frag tank which has most of my chalices and the health of them was so much better under the T5's. If you are going to keep them with LED's you need to put them under a ledge or well out of the direct light of the LED. I find that the LED's are just way much of a concentrated type of light and they usually bleach and stress the chalice.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back