I am new to the saltwater side of fishkeeping and dont know where to go with a first tank? Also perferrably something that can house clownfish

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would a good begginer tank be to start out with?
Generally rule of thumb is get as big of a tank as you can handle. Just about any size tank can handle a clown fish..but larger tanks are move forgiving for parameters meaning you can make bigger mistakes. But if you are simply looking for what is the smallest tank you can get..look for a 20 gallon all in one.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefers should stay away from small tanks as they are less forgiving. A 40 lets you have good stocking space and a 10% water change is a single 5 gallon bucket. Up keep costs are less, yes, a 40 is a good choice...

RyonFly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my personal opinion, but I really wanted to love the all in one 20 gallon IM peninsula I've had for a few years, but it was a frustrating tank, I hate how the cords looked coming over the top, the ghost skimmer never worked right, it was a cool concept, but if you can afford something 100gal or less with a sump I think you'll be happy. I just recently sold that one and don't miss it. 100 or little less is easily managed as far as water changes, more options for stock, and you'll appreciate being able to hide everything underneath.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, If you can afford that IM 40 gallon AIO, it is a very nice set up, and will give you a lot of enjoyment for many years to come. But the feeding port for your screen, and replace the filter sock with a second media basket. Nothing better than to load them up with good old cheap filter floss, changed regularly, which is a breeze with the IM AIO.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for some tanks you like on youtube. Look up various sizes and shapes and find some models that you can use for inspiration. Figure out what those people use for equipment if possible and then you know what it will cost upfront to build that system out. If you can find a 30g you like then why go any bigger?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for some tanks you like on youtube. Look up various sizes and shapes and find some models that you can use for inspiration. Figure out what those people use for equipment if possible and then you know what it will cost upfront to build that system out. If you can find a 30g you like then why go any bigger?
Because 30 gallons after aquascaping, sand and gap turns out to be maybe 20-25 gallon total volume. Again not much margin for errors

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great size for not too much space taken up i would say somewhere between 40-75g is a good starting spot for new people into saltwater. Get a nice light for corals and you'll have a great time with that tank.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because 30 gallons after aquascaping, sand and gap turns out to be maybe 20-25 gallon total volume. Again not much margin for errors
Eh my first was a 28g nano with tons of rock and even with periods of neglect it did fine. Maybe there is less room for error but I don't really know what that even means and either way I would advocate practicing habits that prevent catastrophic error in the first place to a newer hobbyist. Smaller tanks need less equipment which means less points of failure. An emergency huge water change is a lot more feasible in a small tank and they are much easier and cheaper to maintain especially if you're busy. If the tank crashes I'd rather it be a 30 than a 55. They're easier to break down or move if you're not settled into somewhere you're 100% going to stay at for 10 or 20 years.

OP wants clownfish. I don't know much more about their situation but a 30 is more than enough for a clown and plenty of corals. I'm not sure why we need "room for error" when a simple and consistent routine of maintenance doesn't really leave room for catastrophic error.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back